Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 09:51 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,193,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsmith1977 View Post
It should not be a requirement to have God on your license plate. I remember the state patrol petitioning to have the county sticker put on the special order plates (wildlife, spay/neuter, etc.) But this is ok? If they allow God on there then they should allow any and all other deity that people may or may not worship. People should be allowed to have 'In Allah we trust', 'In Buddha we trust', 'In Confuscius we trust' or even 'In no one we trust'.

Freedom of Religion does not necessarily mean we have to promote one over the other.
Or "In Money We Trust" The dollar is the true god of America in the 21st century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 12:42 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,120,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
You are totally not getting my point.

My point is that many of these charities have had fallen on hard times with the lack of donations. I am saying if thse religious jerks are so hyped up on showing off their love for Christ, then the coffers of these organizations should be overflowing with donations to help their fellow Americans who are down on their luck.

Why obsess over putting some lettering on a muthafreakin' license plate when there are people in this state who are hurting badly?

It's a monumental sin to me that there are a small group of people in this country sitting on top of 4 trillion dollars in uncirculated wealth while their fellow American citizens are suffering. So there should be a campaign coming from these Christian Conservatives to ask their fellow brethren of ample means to open those wallets up a bit wider to serve their fellow man.

Afterall, isn't generous giving in line with the philosophy of Jesus Christ?

Otherwise, it's time to New Deal these Ebenezer Scrooges and have the government tax them to the level neccessary to help the unemployed and downtrodden.

My opinion and I am sticking to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Obviously this giving to which you speak of is nothing like enough, especially when we have Iraq war veterans and police officers in this state who are losing and have lost their homes to foreclosure.

Occupy Atlanta helps keep a family in their home - CBS Atlanta 46

Occupy Atlanta leaves Gwinnett home after family evicted *| ajc.com

Why does it have to take a bunch of hippies to highlight the pain that this lousy economy has wrought on our fellow Georgians, eh? So the priority with these so-called "Christians" is bragging about how much they love God through a d--- car-tag!?!

These folks are no different than the Pharisees of the olden days, self-appointing themselves as the patron saints of purity. Christian conservatives in this state and the American south in general will always be the ultimate losers of history to me.

In the end, it's all about fear-mongering and power with them; never is it truly about serving their fellow man by living the gospel of Jesus Christ.
I really, really wish this website wouldn't restrict how often we can give other people Reputation. Cause both posts deserve about a hundred each.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:17 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,118,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
In today's world Jesus would be considered some subversive long-haired Middle Easterner who supports poor people, women and the environment. Moreover, he'd never make it through Homeland Security.
He might get taken out by a drone...

Old 12-29-2011, 02:22 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,373,231 times
Though I am a firm believer in God I do feel it should be an option to have whatever you wish on your plate.
"IN God We Trust" "County Name Here" or vanity. Mine would be "Get off my Arse!"

Old 12-29-2011, 04:11 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,236,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Another person fearful of God?

You should fear God, just not in that manner.
The idea that one must fear a god is offensive and cruel and I reject that notion as it is a flaw of human thought and emotion.

This was one of many issues I had with religion that started me down the path to atheism. After the birth of my son I could no longer hold on to the beliefs I'd been raised with as they seemed like horrible, cruel, and terroristic ways to raise a child. I'm happy to say I've saved my son from all that. At 10 years old he's turning out wonderfully kind, generous, and curious about the world.

He's going to make the best out of the time he has on this planet and that's all I can hope for.

Last edited by plessthanpointohfive; 12-29-2011 at 04:27 PM..

Old 12-29-2011, 04:42 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,198,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I think it's ironic that te United States calls itself a Christian nation because Christianity basically in a nutshell encourages people to be like Jesus was.

Jesus was completely selfless while Americans are some of the most materialistic and narcasisstic people on Earth.

Anyway, add me to the "this issue is a waste of time" camp and if it does come to pass, I will also be in line to sue the state.
Of course you'd want to sue, because God offends you, I suppose.

Here's what Jesus said.

"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated Me first"?

That kind of rings true in this discussion, doesn't it?

Old 12-29-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
The United States does NOT call itself a "christian nation." Some misguided citizens call it that, without proper understanding of the principles that founded the nation.

People like Roger Williams and William Penn would not have agreed with that statement, neither would the framers and authors of the Bill of Rights. They understood that the strength of the US was to not be like the Europeans, where the crown and religion were intertwined.

While a majority of the population is Christian (Catholic and Protestant of many denominations), there are Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, etc. The Southern Baptists and fundamentalists are a minority.
Oh yeah, "misguided", and everything I've presented is a fabrication. O-kay

Old 12-29-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Well, if He can, He should have by now. Just look around. He sucks as a God if He's willing to be hands off in times like these.
God works for those who believe in Him and call on His name. This doesn't mean that God will answer prayers in the way that you may like. It does mean, however, that if you are a believer, that He will answer your prayer in the way that He sees fit.

I've stated this before.

In 1999, my dad had seven heart attacks. One of these attacks had his heart stop for around fifteen minutes. He felt himself pulled, being popped out of his body, seeing his body lying on the floor in the hospital room. He was pulled toward a bright light where a being stood. The area around the being's head radiated such light that one cannot fathom. It was so bright that under normal circumstances it would burn your eyes. My father tells me that he believed this to be an angel. Behind this being was a spiral tunnel, and the being communicated without using a mouth, exclaiming that my father could go to Heaven. However, my dad thought about my brother and I, both of whom were in college at the time, as well as my mom. He indicated that he'd like to return. He then felt himself being pulled back, back into the hospital room. From above, he could see the nurses giving him chest compressions. After that, he was resuscitated in his body.

Now you tell me, how do you explain this?

Old 12-29-2011, 04:57 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,502,100 times
In weed we trust!!!!

Old 12-29-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Though I am a firm believer in God I do feel it should be an option to have whatever you wish on your plate.
"IN God We Trust" "County Name Here" or vanity. Mine would be "Get off my Arse!"
You couldn't have that because state and local obscenity laws would prevent it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta