Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 04:24 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Of course you'd want to sue, because God offends you, I suppose.

Here's what Jesus said.

"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated Me first"?

That kind of rings true in this discussion, doesn't it?
Almost everybody who has responded has pretty much said the same thing. Nobody has any problem with you believing what you want, or practicing whatever faith you prefer. Why can't you afford the rest of us the same freedom of choice? I just don't get it.

I would never throw my support behind any measure that favors one belief over another, and for such an ardent supporter of the flag, I can't reconcile your willingness to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 04:26 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,694 times
Quote:
Now you tell me, how do you explain this?
I have studied NDE's in depth, and unless you are outright fabricating a story, which I have no reason to believe, I expect exactly what your father reported in fact happened.

But even if we accept the accounts of NDE's as real events, representing real spiritual happenings, you cannot make the next leap and declare that since spirituality is real it must therefore follow that your dogmatic human religion is real. That the rules laid out in your holy book are in fact true, and must be obeyed lest eternal damnation find you on the other side.

You see, it is not uncommon for people to get exactly what their beliefs expect them to get when they die and return. Christians get Christ, Muslims get Allah, even occasionally people expecting hell find themselves there, though that is rare.

The issue is that no human religion knows the reality, and all this "God said this" and "God said that", and homosexuality is an abomination because the bible says so and infidels must be crushed because the koran said so is no more true than is Steven King's "The Stand". Interesting stories, nothing more.

And, to make an effort to circle back to the original topic, since we don't know, since no religion is true, the state propagandizing one over another is inappropriate. In fact, the state should not even acknowledge that human religion exists, much less advertise it on mandatory license plates.

I, too, have a friend who died of a heart attack and was revised, and he had a similar experience, though not nearly as in depth as he was revived rather quickly. He was not, and is not, a religious person, though he no longer fears death. But to hear the thumpers ever present amongst these boards, because he died not believing certin things, he should have been in hell, and yet, he was not.

What one believes is not important. We come from the source, and to it we shall return, for it is us and we are it.

Hell? Brimstone? Punishment for being "bad"? Doesn't exist. That doesn't mean that you should harm others, for the goal is to become love, and reject fear. And you get as many tries as it takes to get it right.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:32 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
S&SF, for a faith that is allegedly so powerful, you sure do seem to be acting a bit desperate to defend it.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:50 PM

767 posts, read 2,291,506 times
I just looked at a dime, guess what?

Old 12-29-2011, 06:42 PM

Bit off the original topic, but with the threaddrift, it's germane I think. This young man died Christmas Day.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:48 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
They started doing this "in god we trust" bull**** here in Florida a couple years ago. It's an optional license plate and they put it in the place of the county name or "sunshine state"

It's absollutely ridiculous...

Old 12-29-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
While I agree with your point, is it new? I recently returned to Florida after 12 years elsewhere, and I seem to remember that was always an option. Am I wrong?

Old 12-29-2011, 08:58 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
They started doing this "in god we trust" bull**** here in Florida a couple years ago. It's an optional license plate and they put it in the place of the county name or "sunshine state"

Key word, "optional".

Old 12-29-2011, 09:30 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Now you tell me, how do you explain this?
The brain goes through tremendous changes during times of stress, and it's an element of the human body that is not understood very well.

I can't explain it, but I'm not going to attribute what he saw to some "vision" because the biomechanics are beyond me.

My answer: I don't know what happened, but it sounds like it had a profound impact on you. Would that be correct?

I can't honestly speculate any further without having more knowledge. To do so would be intellectually dishonest. I've never spoken to him in person, and even if I did, I could never experience things in the same way that he did.

I say the same thing about most religious experiences or beliefs. Some I can accept at face value, but many things about this world are subjective. Unless I am also you, I will never know your point of view. All I can do is try, and say "I don't know" when there are elements involved that I don't understand.

People ask me if God exists. My only answer at this point in my life is this: I don't know. To say otherwise would be a lie.

That doesn't make me an atheist. It makes me a rational human being.

Back to the original topic, which is placing a specific statement of faith on a license plate by default, and which is also apparently requiring those who don't want to make that statement pay an extra fee to remove/replace it.

Why can't you see the issue here?

If you replace the statement of faith as written, "In God We Trust", with some other statement of faith, would you also support it? Or is your support conditional on the statement being something you happen to agree with?

What if it said, "Blessed Be"...? I have a number of friends who would be thrilled with that. How about you?

I personally don't think *any* religious statement belongs on a state license plate. Christian, Shinto, Buddhist, whatever.

You can feel free to disagree with me if you'd like, but I'll see you in court if you try to impose it on me. That is my right as a citizen of this country.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 12-29-2011 at 10:02 PM..

Old 12-29-2011, 09:47 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
I just looked at a dime, guess what?
What does federal coinage have to do with a state license plate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta