Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 04:51 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
This is gotta be it with the "King of the South " question:
Would not a "King" have to have many thinks that are tied with the history,culture,economic development and pure power of skills in which would crown a leader King?
How can that be Charlotte?Its barely Atlanta.My first answer if New Orleans was more fiscally or economically powerful.
Finance/Economy.Thats the only thing keeping N.O. from being THE contender.

The South.People think of music ,food,history, cultural traditions,famous citizens.

Music
Atlanta-R&B/Rap.Pop and even Country.If Justin Beiber has to come to Atlanta to get a deal,then....
Songs like Welcome to Atlanta or Oh Atlanta
Charlotte-Music?

Culture
Atlanta-College football.SEC Championship,Chick-fil-A Bowl,Bankhead Bounce,Too legit to quit,Gone With The Wind,Freak-nic(good or bad),Uncle Remus.Films/Movies
Charlotte-Nascar

Food
Atlanta,-Nothing different
Charlotte,Nothing either

History(regional and National importance)
Shermans March to Sea,Battle of Peachtree Creek,Civil Rights;MLK Jr.jimmy Carter fmr Governor/President
First Black Mayor of the South Maynard Jackson
Charlotte-I honestly dont know

Economy
Atlanta-F-500's,Finance(Souths only stock exchange),GDP
Charlotte Banking

I could go on but why when it SOO clear Atlanta

Atlanta is the quasi "King" of the cultural south (excluding Texas and south FL) in terms of business and economic growth. I'd imagine that Charlotte and Raleigh metros are 2nd and 3rd respectively (business and economic growth).

Lol, based on your itemized list of things, you have very limited knowledge of Charlotte or NC in general. If you're gonna list the SEC champ and Chik-fil-a bowl, might was well list the ACC champ and Belk bowl,etc.

As far as culture, business, economy...you're missing a lot of stuff in both cities/states.

To be King you to be king of a lot things, traffic, crime, etc...it's give and take, but no doubt about it, ATL is the top dog of the cultural south...why is it even debated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 05:30 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Atlanta is the quasi "King" of the cultural south (excluding Texas and south FL) in terms of business and economic growth. I'd imagine that Charlotte and Raleigh metros are 2nd and 3rd respectively (business and economic growth).

Lol, based on your itemized list of things, you have very limited knowledge of Charlotte or NC in general. If you're gonna list the SEC champ and Chik-fil-a bowl, might was well list the ACC champ and Belk bowl,etc.

As far as culture, business, economy...you're missing a lot of stuff in both cities/states.

To be King you to be king of a lot things, traffic, crime, etc...it's give and take, but no doubt about it, ATL is the top dog of the cultural south...why is it even debated.
I admit it.I dont have enough history on Charlotte.I
have read stuff about it before and I have visited,but nothing stands out.
I have been to N.C> and I do know a little.
I only listed a few of the things that stand out the most.Of course I know theres more

You put Charlotte and Raleigh but forgot about Nashville and New Orleans way before Raleigh.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:26 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I admit it.I dont have enough history on Charlotte.I
have read stuff about it before and I have visited,but nothing stands out.
I have been to N.C> and I do know a little.
I only listed a few of the things that stand out the most.Of course I know theres more

You put Charlotte and Raleigh but forgot about Nashville and New Orleans way before Raleigh.
Do your own research but in terms in business and economic environment, I'd put Raleigh/Durham ahead of both New Orleans and Nashville. Notice I stated Raleigh/Durham, they are two separate MSAs (Raleigh MSA, Durham MSA) and not considered one (should be soon). But in reality, they are one especially when considering Research Triangle Park and the shared activity within the metros.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:06 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Atlanta is the quasi "King" of the cultural south (excluding Texas and south FL) in terms of business and economic growth.
Might as well throw Louisiana in there.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:27 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Might as well throw Louisiana in there.
In terms of music, culture, and food, New Orleans certainly stands out from Atlanta. But New Orleans seems to be an economic disappointment which is strange given its strategic location.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:34 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
New Orleans has significant geographic boundaries.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:17 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
Yeah, my understanding is that land prices in NOLA are out of whack with other southern cities, to the point that many companies simply pass it up altogether when their are siting projects. It's also kind of a terrible location in a way; would it exist in anything resembling its current form if the federal government didn't subsidize flood insurance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta