U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-03-2012, 03:12 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,420,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
And yet, Charlotte is attracting and retaining more young professionals than Atlanta….

U.S. Metro Area Net Migration of people age 25-34, years 2008-2010

#10. Charlotte +2,999

#23. Atlanta +942

Story Link: Migration to metro areas - The Washington Post
Yea... but you need to be careful here...

You are handpicking two years during the height of the recession and post-recession effects.

It isn't the best time to judge that category at large outside looking at the direct affect of the recession.

And to be honest for cities the size of Atlanta and Charlotte... both of those numbers are really low right now. Just look at the difference between the 2005-7 years and the 2008-10 years on that same link you posted.

It is pretty clear Atlanta had a night and day difference before and during/after the recession. What we don't fully know yet is how much of that we will restore 5-10 years out when things become more normal.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 03:15 PM

800 posts, read 918,865 times
5 NC Cities Named as Best Places to Live:
America's 50 Best Cities: The Best Places to Live - BusinessWeek
Raleigh Ranked #1

Old 01-03-2012, 03:50 PM

2,803 posts, read 2,194,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
hmm... afterall this bashing on Charlotte... I thought I would just point out one good thing about it (and one of it's best selling features to competing companies).

It is still small enough you can live in relative close proximity of Uptown and live in a relatively affordable, new, and suburban area.

Whereas we are past that. We are at the point of long commutes and multiple very large business districts. However, we have a downside in this... a company can't locate here and expect to reach the whole population of metro Atlanta as potential employee and be located in a single location. (The biggest argument for commuter rail is to make it so a high-value... and high paying company... can locate here and reach potential workers from all over without worrying about workers becoming stressed and turned away from working there.) In other words... we need a single point (if not more) that is easily reached from all over.

Anyways that aside... a few comments have been made about the airport.

I discovered something flying around alot.
Charlotte's airport is built almost exactly like Atlanta's 1961 terminal was! We built a new one from 1977-80, which is the current one.

Charlotte: Charlotte Douglas International Airport, Charlotte, NC - Google Maps

Atlanta 1961-1980: Aerial view of ATL in the early 1960s
Atlanta Airport - 1969 aerial photo

I just found that interesting. In some ways they are developing very similar to how we did (and very quickly), but just 3 decades behind us or so.
imo rebuilding the airport to its current position and design is the most important thing Atlanta has done and could have done. The airport isn't just an asset because it's huge; it's also quite possibly the optimal design for handling lots and lots of people and airplanes.

In all likelihood, no American city will ever be able to make that sort of investment again--we'd be talking multi, multi billions of dollars to build 200 brand new gates as well as five (mostly) new parallel runways, and all the associated roadway infrastructure and stuff.

Other American cities can compete--and we're certainly not the nicest airport in terms of design and aesthetics--but nobody beats our airport hands down when it comes to sheer ability to handle nearly 100 million passengers per year. Many other airports that have grown close to our size have inefficient shuttles, absurdly long walks to certain gates, multiple unconnected secure areas, etc.

MARTA is another example of something Atlanta has that no emerging city will be able to replicate.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:09 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,420,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
imo rebuilding the airport to its current position and design is the most important thing Atlanta has done and could have done. The airport isn't just an asset because it's huge; it's also quite possibly the optimal design for handling lots and lots of people and airplanes.

In all likelihood, no American city will ever be able to make that sort of investment again--we'd be talking multi, multi billions of dollars to build 200 brand new gates as well as five (mostly) new parallel runways, and all the associated roadway infrastructure and stuff.

Other American cities can compete--and we're certainly not the nicest airport in terms of design and aesthetics--but nobody beats our airport hands down when it comes to sheer ability to handle nearly 100 million passengers per year. Many other airports that have grown close to our size have inefficient shuttles, absurdly long walks to certain gates, multiple unconnected secure areas, etc.

MARTA is another example of something Atlanta has that no emerging city will be able to replicate.
No doubt!

I'm constantly praising how well situated our airport is....

Ours is often ranked the most cost-efficient airport as well, because it cuts down the problems of moving lots of people, planes, and luggage.

However, since we are talking about Charlotte... If they are smart they should create a long-term non-financed -guiding- plan for their airport.

They are lucky in one way Atlanta was not before our 77-81 terminal rebuild. They can match many of the benefits Atlanta's airport has and utilize the current infrastructure they have (rather than completely rebuild it).

They have 3 parallel runways. The important thing is their terminal is pointed into the 'midfield' between the runways. If they create an underground corridor they can make new concourses in the future like Atlanta did. They can also build additional terminal access points like Atlanta did by building over parking lots north of their current terminal.

The big thing is... they need to be sure to include smaller short-term expansions match long-term visions. I haven't seen them come up with an aggressive long-term vision outside just finding ways of making new concourses on their existing terminal.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:18 PM

15 posts, read 23,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
And yet, Charlotte is attracting and retaining more young professionals than Atlanta….

U.S. Metro Area Net Migration of people age 25-34, years 2008-2010

#10. Charlotte +2,999

#23. Atlanta +942

Story Link: Migration to metro areas - The Washington Post
Atlanta has 805,000 people 25-34 while Charlotte only has 257,000... obviously this correlates to the total population (5 million people in metro vs. 1.8 million).

Interactive: Young and restless *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/AtlantaForward/interactive-young-and-restless-1046575.html - broken link)

Percentage wise to total population, Charlotte ranks higher, but Atlanta, according to that link, is still adding more actual people 25-34 (33,000 vs. 25,000 between 2005-2010).

Yes, you can see Atlanta has taken a hit lately... it should be on par with Washington DC, Dallas, Austin but unfortunately, it's not attracting the same amount of people 25-34 that it used too... HOWEVER, I grew up in Charlotte, I'm 25 and moved to Atlanta from Charlotte for a job... I personally prefer Atlanta... feels like there's more people my age here, I can be in a larger area and have lots of options for colleges if I wanted to pursue something else, etc compared to NC... yeah Raleigh has great schools too, but The Triangle area is too small for me and Charlotte doesn't cut it. Personally, it's just not for me and I never really liked it there.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:18 PM

2,669 posts, read 3,911,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1986 View Post
Interactive: Young and restless | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/AtlantaForward/interactive-young-and-restless-1046575.html - broken link)
^^^^^^^

25-34 Year Olds, 2005 to 2010 Net Difference

Atlanta = 33,469 = growth rate of 4.3%

Charlotte = 25,406 = growth rate of 10.9%

Wow!! Precisely the point I was making. Given those numbers it doesn't appear too many young professionals would agree Charlotte is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
...extremely overrated, nothing to do........

Old 01-04-2012, 03:56 AM

9,864 posts, read 5,439,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I am in Charlotte several times per month on business and have traveled all over that city and its metro, and I can say, as objectively as I can, that Charlotte is not half what Atlanta is in all the meaningful measures that one could use.
Which meaningful measures would those be? And since Charlotte is less than half the size of Atlanta, wouldn't that be what you'd expect? A more accurate way to look at it is proportionally.

Quote:
Charlotte has a somewhat "urban core" in what they call "Uptown" but it gets rapidly more suburban and only 20 to 30 miles out it's the sticks. The roads are not to the same standards as Atlanta, nor is their transit (despite having one small light rail line), nor is their airport. They can barely keep one sports franchise in town, and it's a perennial loser.
Depending on where you're going, you can be in "the sticks" 20-30 miles outside of Atlanta as well. And again, it's a smaller metro so I'm not sure why you'd expect development patterns to be the exact same.

As far as the roads, that mostly a function of the state (an area in which GA does relatively well in terms of maintenance), but one thing I can say: the roads in uptown Charlotte are much better than the ones in downtown Atlanta. Not sure why that is.

Quote:
Their previous status as the southern leader in financial services has gone since Wachovia is no more and Bank of America has been under fire and is shedding employees.
Nah, it's not entirely gone although it has obviously diminished a bit. Charlotte is still a regional center for Wells Fargo and BOA is still a juggernaut, in addition to the other finance/banking companies in the city.

Quote:
As an example, I drove up to Mooresville, NC (which is about 25 miles north of Charlotte on I-77) one night to get up there for an early meeting the next day. The place was a ghost town at 10pm. You couldn't even get gas, except from one gas station about 3 miles down a lonely and dark road, heading away from the Interstate. That's not where I want to live.
Don't know too much about Mooresville, but there are other satellite towns in the Charlotte metro that are about the same distance from the city where this would hardly be the case, namely Gastonia, Concord, and Rock Hill, SC.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:18 AM

6,401 posts, read 6,229,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
because when one thinks of American cities and history, Atlanta comes to mind...

Yes. Yes it does.

The Battle of Atlanta, the Civil Rights Movement, the Olympics...these are all major points in American history are they not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
It's just more of it, not more diverse. Maybe somewhat more diverse, not enough to cling to though.

Wait, are you talking about economic diversity, ethnic diversity or both?

Atlanta has 8th most diverse economy in the country (source (http://www.allbusiness.com/personal-finance/real-estate-mortgage-loans/589324-1.html - broken link)), admittedly I don't know where Charlotte falls but it's not on the same level as Atlanta.

When it comes to ethnic diversity, it is far more than Atlanta "just having more of it". That's obvious given Metro Atlanta is three times larger than Metro Charlotte, however it shouldn't be discounted (more on that later). When it comes to raw percentages though, Metro Atlanta as of this year does not have a single majority "race" and is rather "majority-minority" with the combined Black, Latino, Asian and Mixed race people making up the the largest part of the population. On the flip side, two thirds of Charlotte's population is non-hispanic White.

Going back to the size angle though, when you have a lot more people you also have a lot more diversity even within "traditional" ethic groups. For example, Atlanta has the 8th largest Jewish population in the country and 14th in the world and also has one of the largest native European communities in the country. Not only does Atlanta have the second largest African American population in the country but among that number resides the third largest Native African population.

We could spend all day breaking down the numbers, but really it doesn't take much to understand how much more diverse Atlanta is than Charlotte. I will say though that Charlotte has become very diverse itself and is basically (just like everything else on this thread) is where Atlanta was 20 or 30 years ago.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:48 AM

2,803 posts, read 2,194,227 times
To comment more on diversity, Atlanta had ~20,000 new legal immigrant arrivals in 2010 in a CSA of 5.8 million; Charlotte had ~4,000 new immigrant arrivals in 2010 in a CSA of 2.5 million, per DHS figures. Atlanta definitely wins proportionally.

Mexicans accounted for the same portion of each (<10%).

Old 01-04-2012, 09:59 AM

6,863 posts, read 3,410,538 times
Has Charlotte ever hosted the Olympics? Case closed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta