U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:26 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,029,904 times

Advertisements

Tybeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 06:44 AM

22,154 posts, read 16,152,860 times
Quote:
The panhandle is seen as being more a part of Alabama than Florida.
Its the redneck riviera, no self-respecting Floridian would ever go to the Panhandle. The Gulf coast just doesn't have enough waves and in the summer time the water is so hot, its like swimming in bath water. The Atlantic is refreshing and much cleaner.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:04 AM

5,802 posts, read 15,486,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
... I think people who think the Gulf coast sucks are dead wrong, or perhaps they just haven't been to the right places.
So true.
In my younger days, I lovedlovedloved going to Daytona Beach and body surfing. But now that I'm old with arthritis and knee replacements and can't even get into the water anymore, I enjoy the Gulf Shores and Orange Beach area of Alabama. The beaches themselves are gorgeous, with the most lovely white sand. The gentler wave action is better for young children and old folks like me. No crowds. Family atmosphere. Although in the day, I reveled in a visit to Panama City Beach!
It all depends on what you want from your beach.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:31 AM

20,901 posts, read 32,910,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Its the redneck riviera, no self-respecting Floridian would ever go to the Panhandle. The Gulf coast just doesn't have enough waves and in the summer time the water is so hot, its like swimming in bath water. The Atlantic is refreshing and much cleaner.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:18 PM

7,690 posts, read 9,532,497 times
Quote:
Its the redneck riviera, no self-respecting Floridian would ever go to the Panhandle
Having gone to college in Florida, I can say that this is the dominant attitude among Floridians.

But, whatever. What, do we want MORE people on our beloved Emerald Coast? It's already busy enough, so let the guidos stay in Miami and trailer folk stay in Daytona.

Something I've learned in my life is sometimes a less than stellar reputation is a great thing. When more people realize how great a place is, they invade it and ruin it. They almost did that with PCB, but thank goodness they failed.

So yeah, the panhandle has flat water, it's 90 degrees all the time, and condo development ruined it. It's also totally filthy and covered in oil right now. Everything that you've heard is right, so whatever you do, make sure you stay away from the panhandle!

Old 12-29-2011, 02:35 PM

34 posts, read 67,974 times
I second 30A

Our family vacations at a particular beach on 30A at least 3x/year. I'm talking west of Panama City.

CQHolt has obviously never been.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:06 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,257,556 times
I'm not quite sure I agree with cqholt 100%, however there is some truth to what he is saying

Gulf Shores several decades back was coined the Redneck Riviera. In that it was a really nice beach, but it attracted alot of southerners.

There are plenty of rednecks in Florida (throughout the whole state!) regardless of what people say, but if you live in the central part of the state or further south... there is just no reason to drive 7 hours north and then west to go to the pan handle, when they can drive an hour or two and visit the Atlantic coast. I think the Gulf Coast beaches are nicer, but if I was that close to an Atlantic beach... I'm going there and doing many more weekend visits!. If you live in the northern part of the state... your more likely to go to the first Gult coast beach you hit rather than drive a few more hours west.

Anyways fast forward... alot of the panhandle today calls themselves the redneck riviera now. The only thing I will say... is if you look at the people who visit the beaches. The further west on the pandhandle will have more people from Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Indiana, Alabama, and western Tennessee visiting there. If you go further east you will find more people from North Carolina, Georgia, and eastern Tennessee. Don't get me wrong... you will find people from all of these places at any one beach, but they come more heavily from these different areas.

Near Gulf Shores in Foley there is an overcrowded tourist restaurant called Lambert's (which is a must visit place!, IMO), but they had a map posted and tried to get people to pin the map where they were from....

I found it really interesting! I wish I could have a map like this from all the different beaches, but it is worth sharing... I'm willing to bet for many of these Southern beaches Atlanta is the central pivot point that provides many visitors to to all the beaches.
Attached Thumbnails
Best beaches you can drive to from Atlanta-img_1308.jpg  

Old 12-29-2011, 03:42 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,769,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I'm willing to bet for many of these Southern beaches Atlanta is the central pivot point that provides many visitors to to all the beaches.
I certainly believe it. We have 27 flights a day to just Pensacola, Fort Walton Beach & Panama City. A LOT of locals are on those flights.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:11 PM

20,901 posts, read 32,910,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearwithme View Post
I second 30A

Our family vacations at a particular beach on 30A at least 3x/year. I'm talking west of Panama City.

CQHolt has obviously never been.
I so agree. It's a lovely area.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:54 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,404,161 times
How far is the closest beach from Atlanta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or