Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 01:53 AM

175 posts, read 235,517 times

Advertisements

Well I just Recently found this website and excited that it exists...Woth that being said I come to my point here....I just finished scrolling thru 192 pages of what the Roundtable guys put together to be put before Atlanta residents in July 2012...I lived in Atlanta for 5 years...But am a born bred New Yorker...Mived back to NYC In 2007 following the Loss of my car...and that's my point exactly!
I lived on Covington I20 East exit 84...it was a 60 mile Roundtrip jus to get to the connector Alone...It's a True Travesty that Atlanta is so Damn Hung up on Road Projects...This new list consists of 90 percent "Road improvements"...WTF?? NO new rail is hardly planned I mean how hard Is it to finally take a different Route on Transportaion in this Beautiful city? That projected 8 billion in revenues Should be focused Solely on implementing A Commuter Rail system....PERIOD!. The rails already Exist and some stations are still in place albeit it will need to be completely rebuilt ( like the station here in Covington) Go in all 4 directions so that the entire Region can get a taste of what it would be like then expand to ALL Planned Destinations...Have a frequent Running schedule and I GUARANTEE RIDERSHIP! ..The problem in Atlanta is that they feel the system should turn a profit and should be damn near free to Run...NOT POSSIBLE!...NO COMMUTER RAIL system Turns much profit but is Absoulutely imperative to the City Survial ( Chicago,NY,LA,Phily,Any city with it).
I strongly think that Atlanta residents will vote down this Sales tax simply becuz it doesn't add any new Transportaion alternatives except for "studies"..All Atlanta does is "Study" Things..HOW ABOUT ACTUALLY DOING IT! Commuter rail has been "studied" since 1990...22 years later...still studying....We could have had at least a few lines up n
Running if not all of them by now had we had better leadership...As much as I love Atlanta and its folks...Lets face it...just a bunch of good ol country boys who would rather see 285 with 40 lanes before a single Train ever pulls into the 5 points!...which I also think will lead to a city such as Detroit currently is when major businesses start fleeing ATL in droves...I'll never live in This city again Until it gets some REAL Public Transportaion Going..Which probably won't even be In my lifetime...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 02:16 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
it's pretty ridiculous. i think part of the problem, though, is that the t-splost is going to be funded by the entire state, not just atlanta. they have to make the rest of the state happy with road projects to get them to vote for it.

there is a lot of bull****, i don't know why people don't want a rail system. race may be a part of it— it was when they tried to expand MARTA into gwinnett and cobb back in the 80s.

have you seen the concept 3 map? some very good ideas there but it could use work.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:28 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2ATL2NY View Post
Well I just Recently found this website and excited that it exists...Woth that being said I come to my point here....I just finished scrolling thru 192 pages of what the Roundtable guys put together to be put before Atlanta residents in July 2012...I lived in Atlanta for 5 years...But am a born bred New Yorker...Mived back to NYC In 2007 following the Loss of my car...and that's my point exactly!
I lived on Covington I20 East exit 84...it was a 60 mile Roundtrip jus to get to the connector Alone...It's a True Travesty that Atlanta is so Damn Hung up on Road Projects...This new list consists of 90 percent "Road improvements"...WTF?? NO new rail is hardly planned I mean how hard Is it to finally take a different Route on Transportaion in this Beautiful city? That projected 8 billion in revenues Should be focused Solely on implementing A Commuter Rail system....PERIOD!. The rails already Exist and some stations are still in place albeit it will need to be completely rebuilt ( like the station here in Covington) Go in all 4 directions so that the entire Region can get a taste of what it would be like then expand to ALL Planned Destinations...Have a frequent Running schedule and I GUARANTEE RIDERSHIP! ..The problem in Atlanta is that they feel the system should turn a profit and should be damn near free to Run...NOT POSSIBLE!...NO COMMUTER RAIL system Turns much profit but is Absoulutely imperative to the City Survial ( Chicago,NY,LA,Phily,Any city with it).
I strongly think that Atlanta residents will vote down this Sales tax simply becuz it doesn't add any new Transportaion alternatives except for "studies"..All Atlanta does is "Study" Things..HOW ABOUT ACTUALLY DOING IT! Commuter rail has been "studied" since 1990...22 years later...still studying....We could have had at least a few lines up n
Running if not all of them by now had we had better leadership...As much as I love Atlanta and its folks...Lets face it...just a bunch of good ol country boys who would rather see 285 with 40 lanes before a single Train ever pulls into the 5 points!...which I also think will lead to a city such as Detroit currently is when major businesses start fleeing ATL in droves...I'll never live in This city again Until it gets some REAL Public Transportaion Going..Which probably won't even be In my lifetime...
This is where the exaggeration comes in DC, Chi, Dallas, Houston, LA, SF and etc. All have worst traffic issues than Atlanta. So it's exaggerate perception how bad getting around Atlanta is. And another thing is Atlanta even with how limited marta is Atlanta still has one of the highest public transportation ridership. So before you put Atlanta in dooms day, regarding traffics and public transportation most major cities are worst in both than Atlanta.

I'm actually disappointed they cut back on rail too, But there's still a need to improve roads and etc also, so it's better than nothing. And the impact of this would be several times greater than Olympics. So yes I want this pass just because they're cut back on rail doesn't mean there no good to the projects.

But part of it is politics that's reality and part of the reason why rail was cut back. I beg the differ If this projects does not pass it going to come from folks falsely promoting how much it's gear toward rail.

But with saying that another reason why they drop alot of the rail projects is explain right here.
Atlanta region's $6.14 billion transportation list ready for voters *| ajc.com

Quote:
Those projects received enough money to initiate “premium” bus lines with stations, but likely not enough to build rail without federal grants. Cobb County Chairman Tim Lee said the Cobb line is still a good candidate for a federal grant that could build a rail line, with its $689 million allocation from the regional tax.
Some project won't be able to be funded without federal grant money. They are still possible, But they want to be fully support by the tax. Which why they are not listed.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
it's pretty ridiculous. i think part of the problem, though, is that the t-splost is going to be funded by the entire state, not just atlanta. they have to make the rest of the state happy with road projects to get them to vote for it.

there is a lot of bull****, i don't know why people don't want a rail system. race may be a part of it— it was when they tried to expand MARTA into gwinnett and cobb back in the 80s.

have you seen the concept 3 map? some very good ideas there but it could use work.
No only the tax regions will pay for themselves. If a region fails then that region won't tax them selves for there own need projects. That's the whole concept, it's local. It doesn't matter what matter another region do.

And actually right now Metro Atlanta is being tax to support projects across the state, the opposite of what your saying. Which is another reason to support the tax it's staying in same region.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post

I agree with this statement...Race probably does have alot to do with it...sadly as much as Atlanta tries to promote itself as a "progressive city". The thing is that the commuter rail system would extend well into "non minority" areas which is pretty much everything outside of 285 especially the further u go away from the city center...I also understand that it's a state thing as well...so I guess we have been reduced to widening roads in towns with populations less than 1000 people just to bring Atlanta up to speed ...another travesty..it's just amazing how other "progressive cities" manage to get trains running and we can't....

Old 12-31-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
This is where the exaggeration comes in DC, Chi, Dallas, Houston, LA, SF and etc. All have worst traffic issues than Atlanta. So it's exaggerate perception how bad getting around Atlanta is. And another thing is Atlanta even with how limited marta is Atlanta still has one of the highest public transportation ridership. So before you put Atlanta in dooms day, regarding traffics and public transportation most major cities are worst in both than Atlanta.

I'm actually disappointed they cut back on rail too, But there's still a need to improve roads and etc also, so it's better than nothing. And the impact of this would be several times greater than Olympics. So yes I want this pass just because they're cut back on rail doesn't mean there no good to the projects.

But part of it is politics that's reality and part of the reason why rail was cut back. I beg the differ If this projects does not pass it going to come from folks falsely promoting how much it's gear toward rail.

But with saying that another reason why they drop alot of the rail projects is explain right here.
Atlanta region's $6.14 billion transportation list ready for voters *| ajc.com

Some project won't be able to be funded without federal grant money. They are still possible, But they want to be fully support by the tax. Which why they are not listed.
I understand that politics played a bad role in this as well..and yes those mentioned cities u named probably does have just as bad traffic as Atlanta does.....but at least they had enough sense to realize that They needed Alternatives to move besides widening the damn Highways.....which by the way takes YEARS to complete and will only needed to widened again and again..so when is Atlanta gonna get on board wit the program? ...Why such a mass cutback on Rail for?...so I guess well spend the next 10 freakin years widening and "improving" our roads...overlooking the fact that by time the "improvementEs" are made ...that many more people will have moved into the area Rendering the it useless...it took GDOT Some 4 years just to widen and "improve " Wesley chapel rd at I 20....I think we could build at least ONE damn line in the same amount of time...if anything why not at least put the Gainsville Atlanta line up first...You can add as many express buses and "hot lanes" to 85 all you want...they all sit in the same traffic on...Anyone who doesn't believe that a train capable of holding up to 2000 people can't do anything for traffic congestion along 85 especially Needs to lay off the drugs...

Old 12-31-2011, 07:29 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,020,143 times
It's not that bad but it could be better.

They are adding one additional stop to the Red line North and the Blue line East. They are adding an additional line called Clifton Corder that will stop at CDC, Emory, etc. Plus funding for the Beltline which is 22 miles. This should be at least 40 additional miles of heavy/light rail in Atlanta for a total of around 84 miles. It could be better but this is a good starting point.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:03 AM

I agree with You Tony...Its definitely a start Considering ATL reputation For Transit so something is better than nothing...It Just Terribly frustrates me The pace that its happening At..Its literally about to be 2012...We keep lookin at Projects that wont benefit the Region Truly Until 2030/2040 n ****...My God How about something AT LEAST in the Next 5...Seriusly How long does it take to Build Platforms,In addition to the Basic nessecesties required When the Hardest part is done...THE TRACKS ALREADY EXIST! For Gods sake lol....Thats why the Commuter rail Plan would do the most good in a Short/Reasonable amount of time...I know the Freight Companies ***** about there precious cargo...Well Do what has to be done...But get it done already...The beltline is A great project as well..Good for Connectivity...Theres an EXCELLENT Plan at Track-Twenty Nine blog.com...EVEN COUNTRY SMALL ASS NASHVILLE,TN Managed to operate a commuter rail Line...These guys dont realize that the Same Strategic Spot Atlanta Has so luckily been placed in Is sitting on a Potential Goldmine To become The New York-Penn Station of the South...It must really scare these Folks!!! lol

Old 12-31-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2ATL2NY View Post
I understand that politics played a bad role in this as well..and yes those mentioned cities u named probably does have just as bad traffic as Atlanta does.....but at least they had enough sense to realize that They needed Alternatives to move besides widening the damn Highways.....which by the way takes YEARS to complete and will only needed to widened again and again..so when is Atlanta gonna get on board wit the program? ...Why such a mass cutback on Rail for?...so I guess well spend the next 10 freakin years widening and "improving" our roads...overlooking the fact that by time the "improvementEs" are made ...that many more people will have moved into the area Rendering the it useless...it took GDOT Some 4 years just to widen and "improve " Wesley chapel rd at I 20....I think we could build at least ONE damn line in the same amount of time...if anything why not at least put the Gainsville Atlanta line up first...You can add as many express buses and "hot lanes" to 85 all you want...they all sit in the same traffic on...Anyone who doesn't believe that a train capable of holding up to 2000 people can't do anything for traffic congestion along 85 especially Needs to lay off the drugs...
oh they not as bad they are they are worst.

Cities with the worst traffic congestion - Mar. 4, 2011

And as limit as marta is very few cities even have heavy rail. That's why I was speaking of perception, Their this perception that Atlanta is among the worst when Atlanta is the 10th. I'm not sure on exactly the rank, but Atlanta's public transportation ranks top 10 busiest.

To a few race may be issue but remember it's 2011 nearly 2012 so I doubt it. Then 4 of the 5 core counties white makes less than 50%.

Somethings are political that shouldn't be but they just are. Many Conservatives are against rail but Why? I don't know. On Another note metro Atlanta compared to it's peers don't have enough wide roads. So something is better than nothing.

Cobb and Gwinnett counties originally had light rail plans but they were scale back in these last few months, Because the of price, Again they are not off the table but they will need a federal grant to help fund.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:00 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
A major limiting factor to political progress around here is all the regionalism. You have Cobb. vs. Fulton vs. DeKalb vs. everybody. Etc. And then there's practically all of rural Georgia, where people often think that Atlanta is the son of Satan.

Part of me loves the idea of commuter rail; part of me, not so much. In a best-case scenario, if it does alleviate traffic someday, that's just going to encourage more sprawl, counteracting the traffic reductions. That sprawl is another huge problem Atlanta has. However, if that sprawl is a given, then we might as well encourage people to ride trains instead of drive if they are commuting to work in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta