U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-18-2006, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 41,925 times
Smile Moving To Atlanta

Hello, we're a married couple in our mid-thirthies looking to move to ATL from NJ. We have a 14 yr. old daughter. I know nothing about your state but was looking for a nice area with good schooling. I don't want to be in the downtown area of ATL but close by. If someone can give me some feedback, I would greatly appreciate it. We also could use some leads on jobs. I'm a Title Producer that work with commitments and my husband has a black seal/boiler license and is a custodian for a school. I did do reseach and want some info. on the following cities: Canton, Dallas, Marietta, Arcworth & Lawrenceville. Are any of them good choices. Thank you for your help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2006, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 27,232 times
I have lived in Atlanta for 15 years so i may have some decent info for you.
Some of the cities you mentioned are way outside the city limits (dallas,
canton). You may not want to live that far out. Marietta is a very good
choice, very good schools (Walton) and tends to be the place for transplanted Northerners. The only negative with Marietta is the traffic.
Atlanta traffic is pretty bad but the weather is tremendous. Alpahretta
is another good choice as well as Decatur. I can't really comment on Acworth. Lawrenville is in Gwinnett county and is part of the metro area (not as nice as Marietta) but there are some good schools around there (Parkview). The people here are pretty friendly but it may take awhile to
generate good friends (not sure why). Lots of transplants here.

Question for you; I may have a friend moving to White Plains, NY can you tell me anything about that area? Weather, price of apartments, cost of living, commute to NYC, etc. would be helpfull.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:07 PM

4 posts, read 33,069 times
Hi Im Also Trying To Relocate To Atlanta,the Places That You Mentioned Are Great For Me,i Never Even Heard Of Them Places..do You Have Any Information On The Job Rate Out There..im A Secretary
My Husband Is A Certified Forklift Driver (10 Years Experience) If You Can Assist On Any Thing ..thanks
Also,i Dont Really Know What Sites To Search On To Look For Jobs..thanks

Old 04-18-2006, 04:57 AM

7 posts, read 40,377 times
Default I know acworth

Acworth is a growing area with the last of the close in affordable homes. one side of acworth is in cobb county, better schools the other is cherokee, acworth is a quaint small old town without any vacant old buildings, its parks are great and has a small lake the connect to lake allatoona
acworth has great shopping conveniences onthe west side.

the Acworth cobb county side is on the west side of I75, the acworth cherokee county part is east and where the major part of lake allatoona is and the neighborhoods are older . woodstock is south of canton, much, and a great family community, although h.s. are awfull, my son loved the kids but the administration is awful, cherokee county need new blood in the school sys anyway, its worth living in woostock if you plan to private school, its right on Hwy 575, which only 1 1/2 hours from here your in beautiful North carolina, tennesee and so carolina for a quick week end getaway to fall festivals, lakes and apple picking with the kids

acworth has grown quite a bit and not to far from I75 hwy41 is the north easternpart of pauling and I've seen some really great neighborhoods go up in this newly discovered area.

well good luck

Old 05-09-2006, 09:53 PM

9,112 posts, read 20,397,333 times
I'll have to agree with the above statements about Acworth and Woodstock... they're still pretty nice. I live just south of Acworth in West Cobb County. McEachern High School is one of the top rated schools in the area, however, some partents here are saying it is going downhill a bit (still good though, just not AS good).

Atlanta city public schools are not only bad, they're just outright dangerous in some cases. We're talking those TV movie specials you see where students carry guns and knives and every-other word is "MF", etc etc. Every single parent I know that lives in the city has pulled their kids out of the public school system and put them in private schools. If you're going to live "in" the city, a private school is the only way to go (unless you actually want your child trained as a gang banger).

Unless you really LOVE traffic, avoid anyplace in Gwinnett County (NE suburban county). It seems that just about every Northern transplant for whatever reason relocated to Gwinnett, and as a result, in the last 15 years, traffic has increased something like 250% in that area. Likewise, if you go due North to the "Alpharetta" area, and work downtown, you'll be forced to drive in the "GA 400" road which is equally crowded.

Westward is the last area to experience growth in towns like Powder Springs, Hiram, and Dallas, but they are now growing at a fairly steady clip. Still, home prices in those areas are relatively low compared to the other areas in the city, North and NE of the city. Crime is growing everywhere in Atlanta, and Atlanta has been ranked in some studies as per capita the 4th most dangerous city in America, but the burbs generally are better - those stats are for the inner city within I285 (the beltway).

Good luck with your move.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:33 AM

32 posts, read 118,322 times
i'm relocating to ga in aug i was looking in the cumming area nice roswell looked nice as did woodstock . but they all had a lot of traffic . good luck in you hunting debbie

Old 05-24-2006, 07:04 PM

722 posts, read 2,166,960 times
My Grandmother lives in Roswell. It's very nice and is experiencing infill but is starting to show its age.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 27,177 times
Douglasville Georgia is a great spot---I live here but am moving sooooon.....I live 5 miles from a very nice mall and the schools are decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127
I'll have to agree with the above statements about Acworth and Woodstock... they're still pretty nice. I live just south of Acworth in West Cobb County. McEachern High School is one of the top rated schools in the area, however, some partents here are saying it is going downhill a bit (still good though, just not AS good).

Atlanta city public schools are not only bad, they're just outright dangerous in some cases. We're talking those TV movie specials you see where students carry guns and knives and every-other word is "MF", etc etc. Every single parent I know that lives in the city has pulled their kids out of the public school system and put them in private schools. If you're going to live "in" the city, a private school is the only way to go (unless you actually want your child trained as a gang banger).

Unless you really LOVE traffic, avoid anyplace in Gwinnett County (NE suburban county). It seems that just about every Northern transplant for whatever reason relocated to Gwinnett, and as a result, in the last 15 years, traffic has increased something like 250% in that area. Likewise, if you go due North to the "Alpharetta" area, and work downtown, you'll be forced to drive in the "GA 400" road which is equally crowded.

Westward is the last area to experience growth in towns like Powder Springs, Hiram, and Dallas, but they are now growing at a fairly steady clip. Still, home prices in those areas are relatively low compared to the other areas in the city, North and NE of the city. Crime is growing everywhere in Atlanta, and Atlanta has been ranked in some studies as per capita the 4th most dangerous city in America, but the burbs generally are better - those stats are for the inner city within I285 (the beltway).

Good luck with your move.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:30 AM

3 posts, read 31,441 times
Default Canton, acworth, woodstock, waleska schools

We are looking to move into the cherokee county area. We are moving from NJ due to the rising taxes. We don't want to move where there is tremendous traffic and we don't want to move to the boonies.

Our most concern is with schooling. I have three daughters. 7 1/2, 4 and 10mos old. My oldest is entering into 2nd grade, she is currently in an amazing elementary school. We are looking for an awesome school system. We would also like a school system where there is parental involvement.

I am wondering are there any elementary schools that are very close to housing? It seems the schools are way far away from housing. Our school is within walking distance and we really love that.

Also, does anyone have and info on school nurse involvement. My oldest has Asthma and severe food allergies. Our nurse here is wonderful. I am very concerned about how the nurse interacts with the schools in georgia.

Thanks for any information you can give

Old 02-14-2007, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 27,132 times
Default Moving to Atlanta.

I am moving to Atlanta from NY, next week.
I read the above posts and I get ltl worried, but when I speak with other friends who made such a move (they also have kids going to public schools) and get completely opposite view. Every one I spoke said they do not regret leaving NY/NJ area, and they love schools.
So I guess I should compare schools with NY/NJ. I would really appreciate some comments if someone who made move to Atl from NY/NJ area.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta