U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:15 PM

4 posts, read 5,628 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving from Cali (East La) to Marietta. Currently I the process of job offer, 99% sure it's going to come through (job is in Marietta).. I've never been to GA, so need advice on relocation. Thinking of renting at first and maybe then purchasing. Have a family of 3, so daddy will be stay home mommy to care for son and pick up at school. I don't really know what to expect on budget, but I'll be relocating with a salary of $65,000. Not sure what this can provide, cuz in Cali it's not much anymore. Any info on schools and and good decent, quiet area is what I'm looking for. I've had enough of the Cali city life (traffic, noisy and polluted style), I'm read for nice peaceful area. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 11:40 PM

2,408 posts, read 3,829,608 times
For affordability, you should look at areas like West Cobb County (west of Marietta) or areas north like Acworth. Acworth has gotten a lot of positive reviews in recent years

The cost of living here is excellent when compared to California. $65,000 is not a lot but doable.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:22 AM

88 posts, read 167,582 times
Depends on where in Marietta the job is? There is East Cobb and West Cobb and there is a fair distance between the two. East Cobb is more of a prestigious area, and closer to Roswell, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta areas, but there seems to be more and more crime in Roswell/Sandy Springs area, not sure about East Cobb part of Marietta. East Cobb is an older neighborhood and the schools are supposed to be excellent. I live in West Cobb. Kemp Elementary and feeder schools are known to be excellent. Varner school district is more lower income, but I know plenty of parents who love it there, but I would advise against it because the feeder schools, from what I understand, are not desirable....lots of people in that school district do the lottery to get into the Kemp and related schools. West Cobb is a nice area, lots of families, plenty of shopping, national parks, things to do. You would probably do fine in either East or West Cobb, just depends on what you are looking for and where the job is located.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:09 PM

183 posts, read 296,869 times
$65k single income will be tight, especially if you are renting in a decent area? We spend the most on utilities (water, gas, electric) and my "necessities" (cable/dish, internet, pest control). I've found that you can expect to spend about the same amount on food/clothing here as in CA. The only cost that is significantly lower is the housing imho. If you can bring CA $ to GA and cash buy a house, it can work.....good luck!

Old 01-07-2012, 07:41 PM

955 posts, read 2,909,988 times
Hey Tamlym,
I am just curious where in California you are from? Can I ask why you moved to Atlanta from California? Are you happier with the lifestyle you have here over the one you had in Cali? Since my wife and I love the beach so much we would love to retire there. I don't think we could do Florida as Atlanta is as hot as we can stand.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:52 PM

4 posts, read 5,628 times
Thanks for everyone's feedback. This has helped me a great deal.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:00 AM

119 posts, read 103,485 times
Mocruz25,
We are from the South Bay area in Cali and have lived in Cobb County, GA for over 10yrs.
Atlanta is very diverse you will find everything you need here.

The best zipcodes in Marietta are 30064(west cobb), 30062, 30068, 30067. I also recommend Kennesaw 30152, 30144 & Acworth 30101(west/North Cobb). Great suburban communities with good schools, lots of shopping and parks.
We chose West Cobb because of the good schools and we were able to purchase a much bigger, newer home than those in East Cobb.
East Cobb is also an excellent choice though.

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:22 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,626,098 times
Think twice. You have a family so it might be okay. Take your time on locking yourself in with a house. You will experience a different world then what you are used to in California.
Atlanta might work for you and your family but I caution you to make sure you don't burn ties with contacts in California or be able to move back.
Good luck to you and your family.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:24 AM

864 posts, read 905,965 times
65k in the suburbs here will get a good lifestyle. I am not sure what these other posters are talking about. I am assuming they are the types who buy a new BMW every 3-5 years, and bought more house they can afford. Any cost of living calculator will tell you 65k even with a kid and husband very doable. You will plenty of disposable income.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:58 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,066,823 times
There is a difference b/t Marietta city schools and Cobb County Schools. Both are good, but just know there's a difference.

If you live in East Cobb everyone like to tout it though it really doesn't matter b/c everything East of 75, people think is East Cobb. It's not. There was no such thing as West Cobb until people started boasting about East Cobb.

You can be in Marietta City schools and almost be considered East Cobb/West Cobb/ North Cobb and South Cobb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta