Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2007, 09:24 AM

88 posts, read 304,256 times

Advertisements

I currently bank with Citibank however, in all of GA I only find ATM's (in Publix) and not branches. While I'd love to never have the need for a teller I doubt that that's feasible. Can anyone offer any advice on transferring your bank account when needing to relocate?

Tips, things you wished you'd known etc.? Especially those who've banked with Citi before and possibly needed another account - where did you go and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 09:51 AM

65 posts, read 215,997 times
It depends on where you are transfering from and if you have a bank that operates in both locations. I don't like Bank of America, but it will be easy to open an account where your at and tell them what you are doing. Once you set that up you can move and they just link your account in that state with the account here. Probably works the same way with Wachovia, Washington Mutual, or any of the larger national or regional chains.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:53 PM

Default BOA gets a bad rep - Bank Advice anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWagner View Post
It depends on where you are transfering from and if you have a bank that operates in both locations. I don't like Bank of America, but it will be easy to open an account where your at and tell them what you are doing. Once you set that up you can move and they just link your account in that state with the account here. Probably works the same way with Wachovia, Washington Mutual, or any of the larger national or regional chains.
Thanks Bill - I'd stay away from BOA just b/c some friends of mine have had some really bad experiences there. I don't mind Citi however, I'd like to have a Brick and mortar bank available to me as Citi has sent their call center overseas and if you have an issue the employees there aren't very helpful at all. There's no getting around anything no matter what your issue is - it's absolutely by the book and with the possibility of all kinds of circumstances customer service IMO shouldn't just be by the book especially in banking.

I'm considering looking into a credit union that will allow me to link up accounts as opposed to another bank. I don't need the added stress of trying to make sure I'm "within the guidelines" so I'm not incurring additional fees b/c of the fine print.

Anyone at least satisfied with their banks in GA?

Old 08-30-2007, 01:05 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
We switched our $$ from the loca credit union we used in NJ to Wachovia prior to our move. It was a simple matter of changing the address once we got here. So far, we're more than happy with their service- plenty of branches and ATMs, free paper checks, and no hidden fees that we've found. Ohh, and they pay interest on our checking account too.

Bob

Old 08-30-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
We switched our $$ from the loca credit union we used in NJ to Wachovia prior to our move. It was a simple matter of changing the address once we got here. So far, we're more than happy with their service- plenty of branches and ATMs, free paper checks, and no hidden fees that we've found. Ohh, and they pay interest on our checking account too.

Bob

Wachovia was also one I'd considered. It's had the least amount of downtime (on-line) and I've haven't seen as many complaints about them as I have some of the other larger banks....

Old 08-30-2007, 03:38 PM

857 posts, read 4,879,081 times
I always banked with Citibank in NY, and had been using their on-line banking since the 80's. When I moved here I opened an account with Suntrust. Because of my businesses I have had accounts at other large banks here too, but Suntrust is the one I like the best. Plus, it has mini branches in most Publix stores too, so I can bank and shop in one trip.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:53 PM

212 posts, read 546,945 times
I banked at Citi-bank before moving to GA. I contacted Wachovia while still in NY. They sent me a kit and I opened an account just before I moved here. I think I wired them or mailed them a check to open it. It was very easy. I have been banking with them ever since. There are a ton of branches in GA.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:56 PM

422 posts, read 1,819,086 times
I was with Citi in California before moving to Atlanta. We went with Wachovia and were generally pleased.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:10 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWagner View Post
Hi there,
I bank with three banks...BOA and Wachovia. I am going to transfer these two..Love Wachovia but BOA is just like a food chain always there to take ur money but never there to provide a service of quality..IMHO but I have had the account for 5 yrs and its estabilished so I am just going to transfer it there ...You can call the 800 number and they can give you all the details..I have been told by both Wachovia and BOA that it is a very easy process. I also have a CU account which I love and although they are not in GA only in Fl I will be keeping it but live with my ATM card as they dont have any "tellers" in GA but I will be visitng FL often and I like them very much so I am keeping them. Hope this helps. I have both BOA and Wachovia 800 numbers for CS if you need or want more info. Take Care...Lisa

Old 09-02-2007, 04:59 AM

183 posts, read 1,007,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
I always banked with Citibank in NY, and had been using their on-line banking since the 80's. When I moved here I opened an account with Suntrust. Because of my businesses I have had accounts at other large banks here too, but Suntrust is the one I like the best. Plus, it has mini branches in most Publix stores too, so I can bank and shop in one trip.
We opened our account with Suntrust before we moved and have been with them for 11 years. They are convenient , I shop at Publix, also. We have an interest bearing free checking account, a business acct, and savings. All are accessible on-line, too!There are plenty of branches ...the one in Publix is most convenient, open till 7pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: