U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:07 AM

8,687 posts, read 11,727,229 times
The top nine education myths by a much missed debunker | Get Schooled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 09:29 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,118,891 times
^Some of those debunking arguments aren't great. The MIT grads going into finance isn't b/c there's a lack of jobs in technology/sciences...it's that w/ physics/math/engineering PhD they could get a mid six figure job off the bat in financial engineering while they may never reach that kind of income in academics or research in their fields. The ones that aren't lured by the money either are purely into the science (those that stick around) or those not good enough to do finance (probably not great at research either).

Retail sales jobs may be the single largest growing segment of jobs but are Wal-Mart jobs honestly the best we can do? A mid career tech job is in the low six figures and creates significant disposable income which is very good for an economy both in consumer spending and taxable income. No person outside the store manager (or execs at HQ) makes anywhere near that kind of money at Wal-Mart. Should we hand tax subsidies to Wal-Mart for creating a job where the employee still needs gov't assistance to survive or should we do everything possible to foster the next high tech boom?

Old 01-10-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
Retail sales jobs may be the single largest growing segment of jobs but are Wal-Mart jobs honestly the best we can do? A mid career tech job is in the low six figures and creates significant disposable income which is very good for an economy both in consumer spending and taxable income. No person outside the store manager (or execs at HQ) makes anywhere near that kind of money at Wal-Mart. Should we hand tax subsidies to Wal-Mart for creating a job where the employee still needs gov't assistance to survive or should we do everything possible to foster the next high tech boom?
The article mentioned the information about retail sale jobs, but I don't think it is necessarily advocating that it's a good thing (being the largest growing segment).

From a commenter:

"Dr. Bracey well understood the implications of the Wal-Mart/McDonald’s job creation scenario. In his writing for professional journals he elaborated on the harm caused by dependence on these kinds of low paying jobs. He was not extolling the virtues of those corporations."

Old 05-29-2012, 09:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,171 times
Hi all, I am moving to the area. I am looking into a few high schools for my freshman . The characteristics Im looking for is a school with good academics, diverse, non segregated and friendly atmosphere, great to decent sports programs, and parent-teacher-student comraderie. which will I find most of these in out of Johns Creek, Chattahoochee, Roswell, Dunwoody, Riverwood or Walton.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,068 times
Christna my name and at the age of 15 , i'm from egypt and I hope to travel to America, complete my studies and get good qualifications and certificates I hope to help me fulfill my dream and i want anyone tell me how i can book school in amirca

Old 06-27-2012, 06:55 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,543,832 times
Christina - are you looking at completing High School in American or in Egypt? Are you asking about how to get into a High School or into a University?

Old 06-27-2012, 07:24 PM

4 posts, read 2,187 times
ATLJL, Duluth ranked high in US World News. I've copied and pasted the email that we received from DHS about its ranking in US World News:

In its 2012 ranking of Georgia Schools, US News & World Report ranked Duluth High School #10 of all public schools (includes Public, Charter, and Magnet Schools), #4 among Public Schools (excludes Charter and Magnet schools) in Georgia, and the highest among all Gwinnett County public schools!
Below is the web address if you would like to see more information - you can filter school types on the left of the page.
http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/georgia/rankings

Old 06-27-2012, 11:34 PM

4,746 posts, read 5,037,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes, Walton opened in 1975. Lassiter 1981, Pope 1987. I think Kell is 2003.

Walton and Sprayberry had vo-tech programs through the mid/late 1990's. Students from Lassiter and Pope could actually take a bus to go take a class in the programs (a 2-hour block). I am not sure if the programs are still in existence.

Well, South Cobb was the first part of Cobb County to develop "suburbanally." It was spawned from the white flight from West and Southwest Atlanta in the 1950's and 1960's. So the growth in this area happened back then. There was actually a student population decline--in the early 1990's, Wills High was closed and merged with Campbell.

There is defintely growth in South Cobb now though.

What has hurt McEachern the most was the redistricting controversy when they built Hillgrove. Hillgrove siphoned off all of the upper-middle/upper class areas just north of McEachern. The county actually wanted to draw a balance between the school districts, but bad people in Psycho Mill, I mean Echo Mill, (and other neighborhoods) used state rep Earl Ehrhart to get the districts drawn to their liking--even though Echo Mill is closer to McEachern and the whole area in question is equal distance from Hillgrove and McEachern.

I don't know what spawned Wheeler...and I don't know how they differentiated back then (when districting) between the city schools (Marietta) and county schools (Sprayberry). I do believe it was more fluid.

Saintmarks may know more about this...
I missed this thread the first time around but now that it has been resurrected, will chime in, especially since I was summoned!

Back in my bus driving days in the early 90s, several of the bus drivers I worked with were in their 50s and 60s and gave me lots of interesting info on the history of Cobb County. It was the only place I could find a group of natives, folks that were born and raised in the area. I heard stories of when Canton Road was still a dirt road, of one lady who picked cotton on the field where Lassiter now stands, those kind of great stories.

One of the ladies was in the first graduating class of Sprayberry sometime in the early 50s. The original Sprayberry HS was on 41 and Allgood and is now the home to the Walker School. It moved to its current location on the corner of Sandy Plains and East Piedmont in the early 70s. This lady grew up in the big Victorian house on Holly Springs Road between Davis and Post Oak Tritt. It has since been restored and expanded, oddly enough by friends I went to church with. Aries, I know you would know the house I am talking about.

She went to Mountain View School thru 8th grade. At that time, she went to Acworth High School for a couple of years and then Sprayberry opened her 11th grade year. I think she took early graduation or if I remember correctly, in that time, 11th grade was it.

I hope I have this memory down right, but prior to this (40s) Acworth High School served the whole of northern Cobb County. I also believe there was an Austell High School and of course McEachern has been around forever. I am not sure what was happening in Smyrna in the 40s and 50s, but other than Marietta HS, this might have been it for all of Cobb County. As you mentioned before, suburban growth that came in the 50s and 60s would have spawned Wills, Cambell, Osborne and Pebblevrook, but I believe the all would have spawned off of South Cobb HS.

About the time Sprayberry was built for north and east Cobb, Austell HS was replaced by South Cobb HS and Acworth HS was replaced by North Cobb HS. Growth in East Marietta, in the Powers Ferry/Lower Roswell Road area led to Wheeler opening, so you could say Wheeler is a spawn of Sprayberry.

I hope I have all this close to correct. It was given to me as oral history from some great older ladies when I was in my 20s, I am sure many of them are no longer with us.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I missed this thread the first time around but now that it has been resurrected, will chime in, especially since I was summoned!

Back in my bus driving days in the early 90s, several of the bus drivers I worked with were in their 50s and 60s and gave me lots of interesting info on the history of Cobb County. It was the only place I could find a group of natives, folks that were born and raised in the area. I heard stories of when Canton Road was still a dirt road, of one lady who picked cotton on the field where Lassiter now stands, those kind of great stories.

One of the ladies was in the first graduating class of Sprayberry sometime in the early 50s. The original Sprayberry HS was on 41 and Allgood and is now the home to the Walker School. It moved to its current location on the corner of Sandy Plains and East Piedmont in the early 70s. This lady grew up in the big Victorian house on Holly Springs Road between Davis and Post Oak Tritt. It has since been restored and expanded, oddly enough by friends I went to church with. Aries, I know you would know the house I am talking about.

She went to Mountain View School thru 8th grade. At that time, she went to Acworth High School for a couple of years and then Sprayberry opened her 11th grade year. I think she took early graduation or if I remember correctly, in that time, 11th grade was it.

I hope I have this memory down right, but prior to this (40s) Acworth High School served the whole of northern Cobb County. I also believe there was an Austell High School and of course McEachern has been around forever. I am not sure what was happening in Smyrna in the 40s and 50s, but other than Marietta HS, this might have been it for all of Cobb County. As you mentioned before, suburban growth that came in the 50s and 60s would have spawned Wills, Cambell, Osborne and Pebblevrook, but I believe the all would have spawned off of South Cobb HS.

About the time Sprayberry was built for north and east Cobb, Austell HS was replaced by South Cobb HS and Acworth HS was replaced by North Cobb HS. Growth in East Marietta, in the Powers Ferry/Lower Roswell Road area led to Wheeler opening, so you could say Wheeler is a spawn of Sprayberry.

I hope I have all this close to correct. It was given to me as oral history from some great older ladies when I was in my 20s, I am sure many of them are no longer with us.
Good info.

I guess we can conclude that Wheeler is spawn of Sprayberry. Wheeler opened in 1965--Sprayberry has been around since the early 50s. Wheeler was built, like you said, due to growth expanding into East Marietta/East Cobb. The new Sprayberry, opening in 1973, was built for an "upgrade," but also was probably moved further east due to the expanding growth in East Marietta/East Cobb as well. The old campus was likely considered too close to Marietta High at that point (and the old campus may have been annexed by the city, or was proposed to be), and the "heart" of the expanding Sprayberry population was moving more towards Sandy Plains.

Yes, I know exactly which Victorian you are talking about! So beautiful and renovated--right in the heart of the Mountain View Elementary district! Cool story.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:36 AM

U.S. Schools Are Still Ahead—Way Ahead - BusinessWeek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta