Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 09:19 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Again, because the New England states lead the nation in income and education. The New England states are overwhelmingly white and middle class. I only bring it up because kids are not growing up playing sports in high school and then trying for a big scholarship to college the way they do in the south.

My son is almost 16 and played Pop Warner football when he was younger. When we moved here at 12, he wanted to play and we signed him up for the middle school team which is affiliated with the high school. I'll admit he was over matched. The kids at 12 were like high school seniors in New England.

It's just not that big of a deal up there. People enjoy Pop Warner and even a little high school ball, but it's nothing like here or Texas where it's a religion.
So basically what your saying is that because kids in the south are so stupid, the only shot they have at getting into college is playing sports and getting a full ride. Which in turn makes them work their butts off from rec league ball all the way to HS, because they know that's their only shot to get into college. Is that what you're trying to say?

How about kids down south are just faster and physically stronger from growing up in a more rural society where you have to do things like cutting wood or chase wild game thru the woods. As opposed to a kid growing up in the more urban NE where the most physical thing he would do is take the garbage can down the steps on trash collection day. Also maybe because we have warmer weather, and kids can practice outside 9 months out of the year, whereas kids in the north only have a small window to do so.

Brains have nothing to do with it. And I love how people from the northeast like to crap on college football, but yet they still love the NFL so much. Look at college basketball, a sport that people in the NE are actually good at, it has no shortage of fans in that section of the country. The only difference is they can actually compete in basketball so they enjoy it. I will say it again, people in the NE would be more into college football if they were actually good at it. If you had a chance to see a kid from your HS alma mater or a kid that grew up in your neighborhood succeed and compete on that level at a local Univ. they would be into it just as much into it as we are. But when you have teams that are chock full of kids from the NE like Boston College and they suck, or teams like West Virgina who are good but full of players from the south, that turns people off.

And you guys don't even have basketball on lock anymore. Most of the top AAU teams in the country the last 10 years have been from GA, Texas, Cali, and Maryland. Look at last year's NCAA Tourny winner UCONN, one of the best players on the team is from right here in the metro- Jermey Lamb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 09:43 PM

538 posts, read 925,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
So basically what your saying is that because kids in the south are so stupid, the only shot they have at getting into college is playing sports and getting a full ride. Which in turn makes them work their butts off from rec league ball all the way to HS, because they know that's their only shot to get into college. Is that what you're trying to say?

How about kids down south are just faster and physically stronger from growing up in a more rural society where you have to do things like cutting wood or chase wild game thru the woods. As opposed to a kid growing up in the more urban NE where the most physical thing he would do is take the garbage can down the steps on trash collection day. Also maybe because we have warmer weather, and kids can practice outside 9 months out of the year, whereas kids in the north only have a small window to do so.

Brains have nothing to do with it. And I love how people from the northeast like to crap on college football, but yet they still love the NFL so much. Look at college basketball, a sport that people in the NE are actually good at, it has no shortage of fans in that section of the country. The only difference is they can actually compete in basketball so they enjoy it. I will say it again, people in the NE would be more into college football if they were actually good at it. If you had a chance to see a kid from your HS alma mater or a kid that grew up in your neighborhood succeed and compete on that level at a local Univ. they would be into it just as much into it as we are. But when you have teams that are chock full of kids from the NE like Boston College and they suck, or teams like West Virgina who are good but full of players from the south, that turns people off.

And you guys don't even have basketball on lock anymore. Most of the top AAU teams in the country the last 10 years have been from GA, Texas, Cali, and Maryland. Look at last year's NCAA Tourny winner UCONN, one of the best players on the team is from right here in the metro- Jermey Lamb.
So kids from the South are faster and stronger because they grew up in a rural setting?......LOL.....its pretty rural in North Dakota and Western Oregon as well.........

Old 01-12-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
So kids from the South are faster and stronger because they grew up in a rural setting?......LOL.....its pretty rural in North Dakota and Western Oregon as well.........

You're right and they have some pretty good football programs in the part of the country to show for it too. Like Oregon is a beast in college football, granted a lot of the kids are from Cali, but there have been some nice players from Oregon. I think N'Dumokong Suh (Im sure I spelled that wrong) is from Oregon. And North Dakota? No one lives there, it's beyond rural. Do they even have a school that's big enough to play in the FBS? If anything I would think a good player from ND would play somewhere like Iowa or Boise State. Which by the way, when Boise St gets into the Big East they are going to demolish schools like Rutgers, Pitt, UConn, Syracuse, Cincy and Louisville. It's not even going to be fair. I'm pretty sure that was an incentive for them to join a conference that is clear across the country. They knew that those east coast schools would be cakewalks, and with the Big East being an AQ conference, outside of South Florida (team from the south obviously) and West Virgina (team full of players from the south) they pretty much are an odd on favorite to win the Big East every year and voila- Boise has a shot at the BCS now. Watch what happens, Boise St is going to drag the Big East like some can goods under a Just Married sign. They wanted a shot at the BCS title and they picked by far the easiest conference to be able to do it.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
You're right and they have some pretty good football programs in the part of the country to show for it too. Like Oregon is a beast in college football, granted a lot of the kids are from Cali, but there have been some nice players from Oregon. I think N'Dumokong Suh (Im sure I spelled that wrong) is from Oregon. And North Dakota? No one lives there, it's beyond rural. Do they even have a school that's big enough to play in the FBS? If anything I would think a good player from ND would play somewhere like Iowa or Boise State. Which by the way, when Boise St gets into the Big East they are going to demolish schools like Rutgers, Pitt, UConn, Syracuse, Cincy and Louisville. It's not even going to be fair. I'm pretty sure that was an incentive for them to join a conference that is clear across the country. They knew that those east coast schools would be cakewalks, and with the Big East being an AQ conference, outside of South Florida (team from the south obviously) and West Virgina (team full of players from the south) they pretty much are an odd on favorite to win the Big East every year and voila- Boise has a shot at the BCS now. Watch what happens, Boise St is going to drag the Big East like some can goods under a Just Married sign. They wanted a shot at the BCS title and they picked by far the easiest conference to be able to do it.
Yep, they found that out by beating Virginia Tech in 2010 in the opening game......and this year on September 3rd by dominating all those "four and five star" UGA BooDawgs in the Dome on opening day.....they love to come "East".....unfortunately for Boise State no SEC or ACC school will sign to do a "home and home" and go "West" to play Boise on the smurf turf.....LOL.....SEC scared of big old bad ole Boise....who knew? Boise ends up with one one point loss and falls to 7th in the nation....and ends up in a Dec. 22nd Las Vegas Bowl....LOL. The SEC, ESPN, BCS BS continues.....

Old 01-12-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:

And I'm not saying that's the reason, that's just a theory I've heard. I do think that's part of it, but most of it I think is just weather plain and simple. Kids in the south have more time to practice and get better at their craft than kids in the north. Cali too. Warm weather just means you get more time on the practice field.

I did read an actual study that some school out west did and it actually found that kids from warm weather climates have a better ability to change direction faster and at better angles. Which may sound silly, but for pretty much every sport except baseball the ability to stop running, and pivot on a dime to go in a different direction means a whole lot. Once again, not saying that's the reason, but it was just really interesting.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Yep, they found that out by beating Virginia Tech in 2010 in the opening game......and this year on September 3rd by dominating all those "four and five star" UGA BooDawgs in the Dome on opening day.....they love to come "East".....unfortunately for Boise State no SEC or ACC school will sign to do a "home and home" and go "West" to play Boise on the smurf turf.....LOL.....SEC scared of big old bad ole Boise....who knew? Boise ends up with one one point loss and falls to 7th in the nation....and ends up in a Dec. 22nd Las Vegas Bowl....LOL. The SEC, ESPN, BCS BS continues.....

Yeah I am an SEC homer and a light weight GT homer, but I will admit that I don't think any major football power in any part of the country, not just the SEC, wants a piece of Boise St. The only team I will say for sure could beat Boise St anytime and anywhere would be 'Bama. And even then who knows. Boise St. absolutely embarrassed UGA. That was basically a home game for them, and it wasn't even close. The score didn't look as bad as how UGA got dominated on each side of the ball. Not saying it's an excuse cuz I'm not really a UGA fan, but a little birdy told me that a lot of the players on UGA were hungover from the night before and they didn't stand a chance just off of that. Either way I still think Boise St could have beat them without that.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah I am an SEC homer and a light weight GT homer, but I will admit that I don't think any major football power in any part of the country, not just the SEC, wants a piece of Boise St. The only team I will say for sure could beat Boise St anytime and anywhere would be 'Bama. And even then who knows. Boise St. absolutely embarrassed UGA. That was basically a home game for them, and it wasn't even close. The score didn't look as bad as how UGA got dominated on each side of the ball. Not saying it's an excuse cuz I'm not really a UGA fan, but a little birdy told me that a lot of the players on UGA were hungover from the night before and they didn't stand a chance just off of that. Either way I still think Boise St could have beat them without that.
Wow....the "hungover" excuse is a new one to me......I usually get the "Boise is better coached" excuse......forget the fact that Mark Richt is making a few million a year to "coach up" the UGA players. The reality is that a bunch of "two stars" who should have been "three and four stars" beat a bunch of "four and five stars" who should have been "two and three stars"......but Rivals seems to only like to rate players "from the South" (and I am being politically correct here) as "four and five stars".......Wes Welker would have been a "no" star in his day....LMAO.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:53 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
As opposed to the South, where academics are hardly a blip on the radar, right?
Nope, you're misconstruing what I mean. I'm talking Harvard, Yale, Brown, Dartmouth, Brandeis, Boston University, Northeastern, etc.

Hardly the same as UGA, GT, UF, or any other southern state college. Emory might come close, but can you really compare it to ivy league? The vast majority of universities in New England are full of high academic achievers. It's not a knock on the south, just fact. Football scholarships and sports aren't their number one priority. Not many NCAA violations at Harvard recently.

Look, I went to college here in the south and my children are in schools here. Don't let that southern inferiority complex get the better of you.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:53 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Nope, you're misconstruing what I mean. I'm talking Harvard, Yale, Brown, Dartmouth, Brandeis, Boston University, Northeastern, etc.
And just how many students are actually FROM New England? These schools cast a wider net than that.

Quote:
Hardly the same as UGA, GT, UF, or any other southern state college. Emory might come close, but can you really compare it to ivy league?
Yes, I most certainly do. Emory, Duke, Vanderbilt, etc. might as well BE ivy league, in my opinion.

Quote:
Look, I went to college here in the south and my children are in schools here. Don't let that southern inferiority complex get the better of you.
No southern inferiority complex here - I'm from points north, too. I just happen to love my adopted region.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:16 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
Some schools with elite academics have big time football programs. UCLA, Cal, and Michigan to name a few.

The reasons for lackluster performance in the northeast for college football are mainly talent pool and lack of fan support, which feed upon each other. Lack of talent pool is largely a function of fan support and resources put into football at the high school level, although demographics play a role as well (to preempt certain comments, it's not all about African American population; New York has a more or less equivalent AA population to Georgia, but has only 16 recruits signed to D1-A schools compared to Georgia's 124 so far this season).

MaxPreps - Football Signing Day

There are several schools in the northeast that ought to compete with SEC schools, but simply don't (Syracuse, Rutgers, Boston College, etc). There just isn't the level of energy and resources put into the sport at the college and high schools levels that there is down here. The answer isn't a different academic attitude or anything; it's apathy among fans. Fans only have so much attention, and up there all the attention is on pro sports. Down here, it's much more slanted to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta