Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:21 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times

Advertisements

Lol @ blaming Sprawlanta for having low fan attendance. Try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 09:26 PM

730 posts, read 827,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Lol @ blaming Sprawlanta for having low fan attendance. Try again.
who said fan attendance was low? the braves were 13/30 in attendance.. not exactly low. And I am completely dumbfounded how you cannot comprehend how sprawl can deter fans from going to games.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:36 PM

730 posts, read 827,986 times
And it's even been researched How to Build a Successful Downtown Stadium - Eric Jaffe - The Atlantic Cities

Old 10-22-2013, 05:57 AM

530 posts, read 1,460,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post

You obviously don't follow sports.

And you watch to much ESPN I guess.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:22 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
I have gave up on the Atlanta teams. I still love Atlanta though

Old 10-22-2013, 07:43 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
Listening to the media and their zombies, you'd think Atlanta ranked in the bottom 5 of attendance in all sports, when only the Hawks are low. The Falcons and Braves are usually right in the middle or a litte higher than league average.

They talk about how "dedicated" of fans people are in cities like Detroit and Philly, yet the Pistons were 28 of 30 teams in attendance last year and the Sixers were slightly below league average at 17.

Anyone going to call them "bad" sports towns now?

What can we determine from all this? How "bad" or "good" of sports towns some of these cities are is obviously exaggerated.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:02 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Atlanta pro sports support is mediocre. Football is pretty good, baseball is mediocre, and other sports are bad.

Our college football support is second to none among major cities, so there's that. But pro sports are pretty meh.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:31 PM

70 posts, read 161,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Listening to the media and their zombies, you'd think Atlanta ranked in the bottom 5 of attendance in all sports, when only the Hawks are low. The Falcons and Braves are usually right in the middle or a little higher than league average.

They talk about how "dedicated" of fans people are in cities like Detroit and Philly, yet the Pistons were 28 of 30 teams in attendance last year and the Sixers were slightly below league average at 17.

Anyone going to call them "bad" sports towns now?

What can we determine from all this? How "bad" or "good" of sports towns some of these cities are is obviously exaggerated.
I think that when people say this, they mean that despite the fact that the Braves, Hawks, and Falcons have made the playoffs the past several years, our attendance is still only mediocre. Other cities would have much higher attendance had their teams been contenders like the Braves and Falcons(were).

I remember the Braves had trouble selling out playoff games when they were in their division win streak in the 90s and early 2000s.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:35 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
I assume you mean in the modern era. That being the case, I would say the Cleveland Browns and the Cubs have diehard fans. The Memphis Grizzlies have a pretty rabid fan base as well, it is a good place to catch an NBA game and that city has zero championships of any type to its name.

All that said, championships do help to build a better fan base.
Memphis. The team is new and the city is in their Disneyland phase.

Cleveland, well they do not have anything else to do in Cleveland

The Cubs have a couple of rings.

My point is correct. Diehard fans generally have championships

Old 10-22-2013, 07:42 PM

93 posts, read 110,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Memphis. The team is new and the city is in their Disneyland phase.

Cleveland, well they do not have anything else to do in Cleveland

The Cubs have a couple of rings.

My point is correct. Diehard fans generally have championships
When was the last Cubs championship?

Your point is invalid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta