Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:00 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times

Advertisements

Last year, Atlanta nearly tied with Seattle for most miserable town for sports in America... I'll find the link. But the conclusion isn't based on some columnist's opinion. Instead, they came up with a formula...

the thought behind it all was: No expectation to win creates the "Loveable Loser." Therefore, there's no big let-down if there is no expectation to win... The expectation MUST be present in order for there to be a big let-down...

Cubs don't qualify Chicago because Chicago has the Bulls, Blackhawks and Bears success.
Browns don't qualify Cleveland because there is rarely an expectation to win, so no let-down...
Eagles have the expectation to win, but don't qualify Philly because of the Flyers and Phillies.

Atlanta was close 2nd to Seattle as the MOST MISERABLE sports city based on let-downs... And this was before Atlanta lost Hockey a 2nd time, got embarrassed in the NFC playoffs of 2010/2011 after going 13-3, the Braves' epic September collapse, and this year's High-school football performance, not even scoring a single point on offense in the NFC Wildcard playoffs (only to barely be able to improve for the next year because NO 1st round picks and not much money left) Falcons...

I would say the formula would tip Atlanta far over the top now...

I think the order was something like: Seattle, Atlanta, Phoenix, Cleveland, Buffalo...
When I find it, I'll post it.

But my point is, Atlanta IS a miserable place to be a fan... ALWAYS a bad ending to what may have appeared to be a good season. And the worst part is that fans rarely give a rat's bottom side because they're too busy rooting for their dad's hometown team, or just some other team they like regardless of having no connection to the city... Other places at least care they lost!

*disclaimer: My statements don't speak for EVERYONE, because I am among those in Atlanta that DO care... I am having a TERRIBLE week right now and it's all because of Sunday's game... My heart is directly attached to Atlanta sports. And it gets broken nearly every year (again, getting WHOOPED on National TV doesn't hurt as bad during the years you already know your team is bad and there's no expectation to win... Only during years like this and last year, when you were given hope just to have it beaten like a Michael Vick dog for the whole nation to see... Now THAT hurts...)

Face it... Atlanta IS the worst sports town. We NEED TO CHANGE THAT! STOP ROOTING FOR OTHER TEAMS!!! SUPPORT HOME FIRST!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 12:14 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
They will become die hard fans when those teams start winning championships. It's hard to become a die hard fan without no championships to base it on.
Not true. Pre 2004 Bostonians were still rabid Red Sox fans, and we hadn't seen a championship since 1918.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:54 PM

12 posts, read 16,795 times
The whole reason these blogs are posted and represented by ESPN are so people will say exactly what yall are saying. The more hard hitting and controversial, more people talking,more readers, more traffic for the blog/site.
This "moron" is getting pats on the back for every negative comment posted from an Atlantan.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:16 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Lies.com, 35-45% Red Sox fans I would even have given you, but 70%? Naw bruh. And that's still enough of a percentage to make the ticket prices go up for those games. Those Yankee and Sox inner league games as well as those Cubs Series are not cheap. Not super expensive, but not "wicked cheap" as you call it. I try to go to as many games as I can if the ticket price is cheap enough, and those games I don't even look at because they are out of my price point.
Well, no, maybe not 70%, but it was loud enough to hear us clapping and cheering when the Red Sox scored or struck someone out.

And yes, wicked cheap tickets when you compare them to games at Fenway. You try buying a ticket to a mid-season game, on the day of the game, for a seat (ANY seat) for cheap. I have seen standing room tickets for $100 at Fenway (and not for the Yankees series). Routinely when I visited Boston for school breaks, I would try to get in a Sox game and pay 2-4x face value for tickets, including seats in the bleachers for $150/seat for a Yankees game. Trust me, paying $40/game to see the Sox/Braves in very decent seats was a huge bargain.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Mike Smith is not all of the problem.

He gets some of the blame, but most rests with the coordinators, BVG and Mularkey. I've been saying Mike Mularkey was garbage for a while now.

And on the other side of the ball BVG is a joke too. I mean playing a soft zone, against the Saints????? Really BVG? You think that's going to work??? I am so stoked BVG took his sorry butt to Auburn, holla at ya homie!!!!!!!
PREEEEEEACH!!!!!!

I agree 200%!!! I've been kicking and screaming about how much Mularkey sucks since the end of last season... He's horrible! SO MUCH TALENT and he has NO IDEA what to do with it. League's worst OC! I hope he takes that Jacksonville job he was interviewed for. Let them suffer through some Mularkey years...

THEN There's Van.....
Sometimes I wonder if he's paid off to throw the game by setting up horrible coverages...

Falcons #1 problem: Mularkey!!!
Falcons #2 problem: VanGorder's system
Falcons #3 problem: No killer instinct (RUN UP THE SCORE)
Falcons #4 problem: Heart at the end of the season
Falcons #5 problem: Linebackers
Falcons #6 problem: the small secondary
Falcons #7 problem: Ryan's deep ball (or lack of)
Falcons #8 problem: Ryan's inability to extend the play w/ his legs
Falcons #9 problem: 2nd place to other teams w/ Atlanta football fans
Falcons #10 problem: NO intimidation factor

Falcons need to have a year when they stop getting lax with a lead and getting complacent allowing teams to come back on them in the 2nd half... Take a look at how many TDs were scored this YEAR in the 4th Quarter. It's something sorry, like 6 TDs all year in the 4th... That's 16 quarters!!!!
When they went up fast on Jacksonville, they should have continued to press and run up the score for confidence reasons among other things... The thing is, NOBODY is afraid to play them!!! NOT EVEN IN THE DOME anymore... That "playing in Atlanta" fear is long gone out the window. That was tossed out last season by Green Bay. Nobody buys into Atlanta's dominance in any area, because Atlanta NEVER shows that killer instinct. That thrive to absolutely dominate a game... They get a lead, then play like crap allowing the lead to deminish... They need to learn to play all 4 quarters! Teams that even have bad records will still score on ATL and do the "dirty-bird" in the endzone because there is NO and I mean absolutely NO RESPECT from ANY TEAM in the league towards Atlanta... They need to stop "playing around" with teams and STOMP THEM! NEVER let up! When the score is 42-0, press to make it 60-0!!! Don't take out the starters and start having laughs on the sideline, while the other team slowly creeps back to a 42-28 game... KEEP PRESSING!!! INTIMIDATE AT ALL COST!!! Okay, I'm on my rant right now because I'm just SOOO FRUSTRATED!

Old 01-10-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Well, no, maybe not 70%, but it was loud enough to hear us clapping and cheering when the Red Sox scored or struck someone out.

It's always bothered me, just how many opposing fans can ALWAYS be expected at an Atlanta game. Less at Falcons games than others, but Braves have the winningest recent history, but I HATE going to a Braves game and hearing how loud the crowd cheers when a Brave strikes out, or pops it up. Then when a Philly strikes out, it's not as loud... Phillies, Yankees, Mets, Cardinals, Cubs, Dodgers, Red Sox... Almost doesn't matter, unless it's a sorry team like the Pirates or Nats.

Sad thing is, this also happens at Falcons and Hawks games as well, but to me, it doesn't seem AS bad... Although, it WAS extremely noticeable just how many Packers fans were in the Dome last season's playoffs... Traitors!!! Half probably never even been to Wisconsin... Typical Atlanta sports fans.

I've also lived in San Diego, DC, Baltimore, NYC, LA and the Bay area, and have never experienced it as bad as in ATL, but it did seem like more people in San Diego were transplants than in ATL.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:30 PM

37 posts, read 152,002 times
I'm a huge baseball fan. When I moved from NJ to FL in the 70's, I could not watch my Yankees anymore. Slowly I converted to a Braves fan. By 1991, there was no turning back. Braves' run of 14 straight consecutive division titles gave Atlanta a reason to have pride in our sports teams. This is while the other three pro sports pretty much sucked with exception of the Falcons in '98 who choked in the Super Bowl. Watching football from inside an outlet mall atmosphere is depressing anyway.

Anyway, going to a Braves game is an attraction / social event for families, singles, & out-of-town visitors who don't have a team where they live. Many fans do not seem knowledgeable or really into it. When visiting Fenway, you better get out of the way and not block the aisles or the view of the action because someone will tell you to sit the $%&+ down. The G-Braves are 15-20 minutes away so it's more convenient rather than dealing with the downtown thing and hike to the gates. Plus, I'm still a little bitter about the strike of '94. Are you out there Glavine?

I agree with Psykomonkee's list of Falcons problems. Watching them during the regular season and then wild card playoffs, I noticed that they were the practicing the definition of insanity by "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." Too many short passes on 2nd & 8 or 3rd & 10. Can't advance 6" on 4th down on the ground.

Unfortunately, there's buried coverage of the good ATL sports team highlights on ESPN. I remember the Falcons winning a regular season game and the high-light was a long run back on a kickoff return that did not get returned for a TD - by the opposing team! Plus, we always get stuck with Joe Buck & Tim McCarver. Does not help our cause. So, I would like to be able to take pride in our teams. We once had all eyes on us. For example, in '95 for the Braves championship and then in '96 for the Olympics. Since then, can anyone argue that Atlanta sports have steadily gone down hill?

Last edited by hspinnler; 01-10-2012 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: added information

Old 01-10-2012, 04:15 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hspinnler View Post
I'm a huge baseball fan. When I moved from NJ to FL in the 70's, I could not watch my Yankees anymore. Slowly I converted to a Braves fan. By 1991, there was no turning back. Braves' run of 14 straight consecutive division titles gave Atlanta a reason to have pride in our sports teams. This is while the other three pro sports pretty much sucked with exception of the Falcons in '98 who choked in the Super Bowl. Watching football from inside an outlet mall atmosphere is depressing anyway.

Anyway, going to a Braves game is an attraction / social event for families, singles, & out-of-town visitors who don't have a team where they live. Many fans do not seem knowledgeable or really into it. When visiting Fenway, you better get out of the way and not block the aisles or the view of the action because someone will tell you to sit the $%&+ down. The G-Braves are 15-20 minutes away so it's more convenient rather than dealing with the downtown thing and hike to the gates. Plus, I'm still a little bitter about the strike of '94. Are you out there Glavine?

I agree with Psykomonkee's list of Falcons problems. Watching them during the regular season and then wild card playoffs, I noticed that they were the practicing the definition of insanity by "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." Too many short passes on 2nd & 8 or 3rd & 10. Can't advance 6" on 4th down on the ground.

Unfortunately, there's buried coverage of the good ATL sports team highlights on ESPN. I remember the Falcons winning a regular season game and the high-light was a long run back on a kickoff return that did not get returned for a TD - by the opposing team! Plus, we always get stuck with Joe Buck & Tim McCarver. Does not help our cause. So, I would like to be able to take pride in our teams. We once had all eyes on us. For example, in '95 for the Braves championship and then in '96 for the Olympics. Since then, can anyone argue that Atlanta sports have steadily gone down hill?
I think for you, you adapted because of necessity. You moved when ESPN wasn't around. You became a Braves fan by the fact that you couldn't watch the Yankees from where you moved to.

I am a bit younger(age 25). My father is from Milwaukee, born and raised. He remembers when the Milwaukee Braves left and became the Atlanta Braves. He also remembers the Brewers coming in, and later, the 1982 World Series(Milwaukee vs. St. Louis). He left Milwaukee in the 1980's. The very first baseball game I remember watching was in the early 1990s, in Seattle and I saw the Mariners play(in the Kingdome). We arrived in the Deep South later on. By then, ESPN had been around for many years. When the Atlanta Braves won the World Series in 1995, I didn't know anything about it. When I moved to the metro Atlanta area in 1996, I didn't know what the Braves were about or why so many kids were passionate about them. I was never really followed what everyone else followed. I did whatever made me happy. In my home, Ken Griffey Jr was the player me and my father wanted to watch. I was(and still to this day) a Mariners fan in the mid to late 1990s.

I never adapted because I liked what I liked and didn't care what anyone else thought. I had the resources to do so. I had ESPN, NBC, and WGN. If the Mariners were playing the White Sox or the Yankees, I could see the games on WGN(Chicago) and NBC(New York). I was a big individualist and for that reason, my thought process was different.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:20 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
Pardon my language, but what in the hell?

Maybe I am from a different generation, but when I was growing up you rooted for your home team unless you had some connection elsewhere. If your team won a title or two, that was great. If they didn't, you kept cheering and hoping that they would someday. Things are bass ackwards these days and you have people bandwagon jumping left and right.
Even starting players with no track records in the league are multi-millionaires now. It's hard to empathize with athletes these days, and that (plus owners constantly threatening to move teams away from cities with loyal fanbases) are the two main reasons I don't give a **** about pro sports these days. My own home teams included.

It ain't the 50's anymore. Players aren't paid $100/week to play ball ... they make more in a season than most fans will see in their lifetimes. And it's not a game anymore. It's Big Business. I've seen too much Big Business in my lifetime already ... they've messed up music, sports, and many other things. Why support them at all?

Old 01-10-2012, 04:34 PM

88 posts, read 128,667 times
This was the stupidest, most poorly written blog I've seen in a long time. Not only is it short on facts but the hyperbole is very lame. I've seen better arguments against Atlanta as a sports city in message boards like this or on social media site chat lines than in this terrible piece backed by the "worldwide leader in sports".

You'd think Atlanta has the worst attendance and the worst teams in any sport and that's far from the case. I'm an Atlanta native, living in Minnesota and I keep track of all of the Atlanta teams, I still follow them very closely. I always have said that Atlanta may have the smartest sports fans because we don't blindly just follow a sorry team if they're not showing the effort on the field, court, what have you. Why go to a game if the team doesn't care why spend money on a product like that, I mean we've had so much disappointment over many years, I don't blame the fans for being like they are. If we have a winner, people will come out but Atlantans don't settle for mediocrity or listlessness. There's more important places to spend our money if our teams are letting us down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta