Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 11:01 PM

48 posts, read 87,714 times

Advertisements

I completely understand that fan attendance at professional level games is lacking. But who is this moron to call us out, saying we'd rather sip sweet tea and eat barbeque? Screw him as well as ESPN for letting this moron blog.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7429623/the-city-atlanta-worst-sports-town-america
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 12:41 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,451 times
I'm probably biased, being from a CRAZY sports-obsessed city (Boston) but that was one of the first things I noticed here. I mean the Thrashers just up and left and no one really cared. In any of the northern towns ,there would be rioting in the streets. Hockey aside, no one really gives a crap about their pro-sports teams here. I blame all the diverse loyalties to college football.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:16 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
It isn't just diverse loyalties to college football, but loyalties to a myriad of pro teams as well.

It is because there aren't many people that are really from here, and I would argue, that many of those same people don't think of Atlanta as home. Thus, they root for their "old" home team.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:43 AM

810 posts, read 3,305,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
It isn't just diverse loyalties to college football, but loyalties to a myriad of pro teams as well.

It is because there aren't many people that are really from here, and I would argue, that many of those same people don't think of Atlanta as home. Thus, they root for their "old" home team.
That's us!

For college, we cheer for Michigan State (sorry Bulldog fans) and for pro sports, we occasionally follow the Detroit teams (Tigers, Lions and Redwings, not a fan of the NBA). Our family usually follow the Big Ten football and basketball teams.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:59 AM

43 posts, read 66,654 times
This has been an ongoing issue with Atlanta sports. Braves games were relatively empty til 1991 when we won the NLCS, and now braves games are about 20k shy of a sellout other than opening day.

The falcons, well they are good one year then not the next. You never know what to expect from them. I do like watching them play but for a lot of people that grew up here they just didn't like the falcons because you knew they weren't going to ever win many games. Like me for instance, I like Denver because I grew up liking John Elway. I can't even tell you who was the QB for atlanta back in the late 80's and Early 90's.

I was one of the few that were upset to see the thrashers leave. I know attendance was down, but there was no effort by the front office to make that team a contender. So many of us were like, 'what's the point?'

Someone said earlier about college football. College football rules the south. There are reasons people 'donate' thousands of dollars just for the 'opportunity to purchase' season tickets. It's very obvious just by walking around and seeing the amount of college football t shirts, hats, etc. There is where the loyalty lies. People still support UGA even though their last national championship was in 1980 while i was anxiously awaiting my 3rd birthday. Why college football is immune to fans bailing out eludes me.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:35 AM

165 posts, read 483,958 times
It also doesn't help when teams like the Hawks haven't had a superstar since Dominique Wilkins, and all of our pro teams can't finish the job in the playoffs.

This doesn't encourage transplants to the city to gravitate toward any of the local teams. And I also think for some odd reason, most people here rather watch college sports, regardless of the fact that they haven't been college students in 20+ years. :/

Old 01-09-2012, 08:13 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times
Is he lying? lol

Old 01-09-2012, 08:15 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db6709 View Post
I completely understand that fan attendance at professional level games is lacking. But who is this moron to call us out, saying we'd rather sip sweet tea and eat barbeque? Screw him as well as ESPN for letting this moron blog.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7429623/the-city-atlanta-worst-sports-town-america
Sorry you are a moron if you don't agree with it. This isn't the first time Atlanta has been called the worst or top 3 worst cities for sports.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:15 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Being new to Atlanta I have fallen in love with the pro sports teams here. I was raised in South Florida watching Dan Marino and the Dolphins. But now I am a Falcons fan and if the 2 play eah other I just want a good game. Raised on Braves before the marlins came to town in 1993, so that switch isn't bad. NBA is all about the Hawks. I think the problem is too many transplants. Saw the same thing in South Florida, whenever Jets vs Dolphins the stadium was half and half. The younger generations are the only hope for popularity in Atlanta pro teams.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:22 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times
As others have said, Atlanta is very mediocre for pro sports, but it also probably has the best scene (maybe tied with Dallas) in the country for college football fans. Tons of Atlanta's growth has been of people from nearby states, and they often bring their college football loyalties with them. Go to any intown sports bar on a Saturday and this will be clear: you'll be fans from most SEC schools and lots of others too.

Why people consider pro sports "better" than college sports is a bit curious to me. Honestly I think college sports have more economic impact; Labor Day weekend 2012 is going to have two significant opening games held in Atlanta (Auburn/Clemson & Tennessee/NC State), which will probably lead to tens of thousands of hotel room nights and a ton of revenue for the city. The SEC Championship game speaks for itself, and the Peach Bowl is significant as well. Georgia Tech is worth a mention too, I suppose. And, unlike in some other cities, all of these events are held in Downtown/Midtown within walking distance of bars, restaurants, and hotels.

Pro sports, on the other hand, is mainly just fans from within the metro taking a day trip to the stadium and returning home afterwards--except in cases like the Chicago Cubs and stuff. Some die-hards follow their teams around, but not quite like in college football, where entire fanbases make a weekend out of coming to Atlanta to support their team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta