U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 04:24 PM

12,468 posts, read 17,982,272 times
In my day, (early 70s) Indian Hills was generally known as a refugee camp for white flight from south DeKalb county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 09:01 PM

468 posts, read 277,097 times
I am a newcomer and my oldest is in 5th grade, we are zoned for Timber Ridge/Dodgen/Walton. I have not so far met or seen any of the snobbishness referred to. (and I have oberved and interacted with high school students and their parents) Yes, it will be competitive. I feel bad for already accepting, for example, that it is highly unlikely my daughter will play for the high school tennis team. But, it isn't like there aren't tons of other options for tennis in ATL, and I am confident that she will find her niche. (orchestra is her first passion anyway). I just think it is such a huge school--sure there may be some spoiled rich kids--but that can't be the whole picture. I have actually been surprised that I have not seen what I expected in terms of appearances/status clothes/handbags etc. given all of the hype about East Cobb/Walton snobs. I think they are pretty regular (perhaps more competitive, but not so much that I have seen yet) parents. I am very impressed with all of the opportunities at Mt. Bethel, Timber Ridge, and Dodgen.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 PM

8,617 posts, read 11,290,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongirl View Post
I am a newcomer and my oldest is in 5th grade, we are zoned for Timber Ridge/Dodgen/Walton. I have not so far met or seen any of the snobbishness referred to. (and I have oberved and interacted with high school students and their parents) Yes, it will be competitive. I feel bad for already accepting, for example, that it is highly unlikely my daughter will play for the high school tennis team. But, it isn't like there aren't tons of other options for tennis in ATL, and I am confident that she will find her niche. (orchestra is her first passion anyway). I just think it is such a huge school--sure there may be some spoiled rich kids--but that can't be the whole picture. I have actually been surprised that I have not seen what I expected in terms of appearances/status clothes/handbags etc. given all of the hype about East Cobb/Walton snobs. I think they are pretty regular (perhaps more competitive, but not so much that I have seen yet) parents. I am very impressed with all of the opportunities at Mt. Bethel, Timber Ridge, and Dodgen.
This is good--and I hope it continues to be true!

Your daughter is still in 5th grade...and you are in the Dodgen district (luckily!)--this is the more "nurturing" part of Waltonia. I think the Dickerson part is more notorious.

Dickerson is a 100% feed to Walton. Dodgen is only a 60% feed to Walton (it use to be even less). 40% of Dodgen feeds to Pope.

Timber Ridge (your child's schools) is a roughly 70-75% feed to Dodgen. This possibly makes a difference.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
This is good--and I hope it continues to be true!

Your daughter is still in 5th grade...and you are in the Dodgen district (luckily!)--this is the more "nurturing" part of Waltonia. I think the Dickerson part is more notorious.

Dickerson is a 100% feed to Walton. Dodgen is only a 60% feed to Walton (it use to be even less). 40% of Dodgen feeds to Pope.

Timber Ridge (your child's schools) is a roughly 70-75% feed to Dodgen. This possibly makes a difference.
I hope so too! Yes, she is only in 5th grade, and she hasn't set foot in Walton. But I have had lots of conversations with parents whose kids are now in Walton or recently (say, between 2005-now) graduated. My son is at Mt. Bethel so I have talked with parents with kids at Dickerson/Walton, as well as Dodgen/Walton. I can perfectly well imagine the issues that exist, and I'm not denying the criticisms. I don't have personal experience with Walton but I do with other similar schools. But, I feel strongly that kids (and their parents) can opt out of the drama/competition, find their niche, and get a great education.

Just today I had this conversation with my dd's teacher, whose daughters both graduated from Walton within the past 5 years. They are solidly middle class, did not vacation in Aspen, the kids didn't drive new BMWs or have the latest Vera Bradley bag (or whatever the cool status symbol is). They were not in the "popular" group, but they loved every minute of high school. They were on the Academic Bowl team and orchestra and had a great and supportive group of friends. Yes, they had a ton of home work, and didn't make the athletic teams, but they were well prepared for highly regarded colleges and had a positive experience at Walton.

I do get the criticism. But like most things I also think it comes down to the individual kid and parenting choices. (and hopefully I won't be eating my words in a few years!)

Old 06-13-2012, 01:06 PM

41 posts, read 29,118 times
I've been looking at listings in this neighborhood, and there is such a mix! The country club sounds maybe not too "country clubby" or stuffy. Is that true? I would love to find a place just like it, minus the "country club" label; the kids' programs seem amazing.

Is this a place where homes hold value, even the more expensive teardowns and mega renovations, despite the wide range of prices?

And do most residents join the club? (I am hoping so but want candid reviews.)

It seems rare to find one neighborhood, albeit large, with such a balance. I hope that comes through in the club membership so that kids don't think of it as some rarified place. I see positive things about the neighborhood on this board.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:52 AM

22 posts, read 23,886 times
Resurrecting this thread so that I can find out more about your questions, too, atlmomoftwo...

Old 06-22-2012, 05:53 AM

My impression is the CC is not too stuffy. The pool can get very crowded on wknds. (like if you don't get there by 11:30 on Sunday you won't find a chair). My impression is there are tons of families, and you would have no problem meeting lots of other families with kids. Don't know about your other questions...

Old 06-22-2012, 07:39 AM

41 posts, read 29,118 times
Ha! So much for the argument that East Cobb is overfilled with far-right Christians! They are at the pool on Sunday mornings! (I would never buy a generalization like that in the first place.)

I don't think my Buckhead pool is open that early on a Sunday ...

Thanks. FWIW, I have never seen such a range of price points in one subdivision.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:38 AM

241 posts, read 188,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
i can only say from the depth of my heart, that i wish my children had gone to lassiter or one of the other fine HS rather than Walton. see previous post.
That's pretty obvious. Why however, is not so obvious. You clearly have some resentment toward the people in the school, but your generalizations and wide aspersions on their character make it difficult to take your comments seriously.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:01 PM

2,339 posts, read 1,649,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
That's pretty obvious. Why however, is not so obvious. You clearly have some resentment toward the people in the school, but your generalizations and wide aspersions on their character make it difficult to take your comments seriously.
You are so mistaken. Not even a hint of slander in comment. I do not believe I spoke to anyone's character; only of the performance oriented culture of Walton. Which in my opinion, I found to be too much too soon.

As I said, my house was the hang out for both kids' friends and they were good kids overall.

I personally don't think my kids' friends were snobs but that is/was the REPUTATION for Walton specifically and East Cobb overall. And I have seen this demonstrated AGAINST the Walton students when I took my teens to various events. And I do not believe the high schoolers deserved the moniker East Cobb Snob or to be targeted. Nor did they deserve to be resented because of where they lived or went to school.

that is basically all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta