Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Box Box started this thread

382 posts, read 658,504 times

Advertisements

So I may have a potential job opportunity in Griffin Georgia, and I was wondering how much you guys knew about Griffin? I've done a bit of research and it seems like like your typical sleepy Georgia town. Would anyone recommend living there? If not then what city would provide a decent commute both to and from Griffin?

I'm not looking to settle down there or live there forever (maybe 1-3 years at the most) but I would like a place that has somewhat of a night life, has some kind of diversity (Doesn't have to be racial, could be religious or even people of different nationalities) etc.

If I do get this job I'm considering commuting from Hampton if Griffin really doesn't turn out to be a place where I would want to live, but that's probably about the only alternative to living in Griffin that I've come up with. Also, because I'm a single guy in my 20's school districts really aren't important to me.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 06:12 PM

876 posts, read 2,268,021 times
I am pretty familiar with the areas. I think Hampton is a good place to start with to commute to Griffin, maybe 20-30 minutes commute each way. McDonough is a bit more built-up and more desirable than Hampton, but they are both suburban bedroom towns in Henry County convenient to 75.

I like Griffin itself, but have never lived there. It is rather typical of middle Georgia towns with a sizable downtown square and shopping built out near 19/41. If you like to go into Atlanta, it is a bit far out for living and someone young and single like yourself, so I think near by Henry County is a good "in the middle" between Griffin and Atlanta. Hampton was/is a railroad town, while McDonough has a nice city square. I personally like McDonough slightly more than I do Hampton, but Hampton is just a tad closer to Griffin. If you like to go into Atlanta to do stuff, McDonough is slightly closer to Atlanta. McDonough has more amenities for going out than Hampton has but both are convenient overall.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:36 PM

635 posts, read 1,502,848 times
I would find a place in Griffin or McDonough, Hampton is a little boring with the exception of Atlanta motor speedway. Griffin is bigger than Hampton and McDonough and Griffin are about the same size, however McDonough is closer to Atlanta.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:25 AM

349 posts, read 778,920 times
I grew up in Griffin and pretty much hated it. It's been about 8 yrs since I lived there so things may have changed.

That said, there isn't much to do and it's kind of isolated. It's a bit of a hike to the interstate. For nightlife I think there were a few bars before I left. Don't know if they are still there.

I think living in another town closer to the interstate would be better. I always tell people who ask where Griffin is that it's basically the last outpost of metro Atlanta before you get into Deliverance territory. Ok I'm kidding about that last part lol.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:51 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,818,283 times
nightlife? griffin? ha!

griffin is a nice little town, the historic downtown needs a lot of work, but it's safe and the folks that live there are nice. that being said, it's way out in the country— you'll have to drive 30 miles to see any kind of night life.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:32 PM

3 posts, read 10,280 times
If you are coming to griffin contact me and I will tell you what builder to avoid at all cost. His first name starts with an S last with an M You don`t want to rent anything from him either. I`ll have much more to say at a later date.Look for an expose coming soon!!! The whole story unedited, and what a story it will be!!!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:01 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,199,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
nightlife? griffin? ha!

griffin is a nice little town, the historic downtown needs a lot of work, but it's safe and the folks that live there are nice. that being said, it's way out in the country— you'll have to drive 30 miles to see any kind of night life.
Hey, what you talking about! Applebees AND Hollywood Hills Pub !!! You must be too picky...

Griffin did used to have a strip club on the north side

But seriously, I always have to plug Slices Pizzeria in the historic district. Fantastic pizza and great draft beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta