Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 04:08 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Not only that, children are increasingly born outside of marriage. More than half of births to American women under 30 occur outside marriage. In some demographics, the percentage is nearly 75%.

So the notion that women are "gold-diggers" angling to find a man to support them while they lounge around in luxury doesn't' square with reality.

I point this out as the parent and grandparent of several young women. They were raised to stand on their own two feet and I believe that is true of most of their peers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/18/us...pagewanted=all
Not only that, but there is this perception that women have it rough, just because they are women. Mama encourages their little girls to get out and make something of themselves, but mama doesn't push her lil boys in the same manner. All mothers think their sons have a natural ability to attract women. Many mothers set their children male & female to fail, because they are treating their sons like little princes & treating their daughter like liabilities. Mothers put a lot of pressure on daughters to be educated, work hard & never be satisfied, but these same mothers don't treat their sons this way. These well paying jobs/careers take full advantage of the need women have to prove this & that to the world. Men will continue to lose their value, while women continue to gain wealth, but never have a mate, because of that wealth. The snowball is rolling down the hill & the dominos are falling.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:22 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,470 times
Quote:
Hm, maybe you missed the report (linked to above) that showed women are the chief breadwinners in 60 of households now. Or the thread that showed Atlanta has the third largest gay population in the US? Or that half of births to American women under 30 occur outside marriage (in some demographics, nearly 75%)? Kind of makes you wonder where all those men who want to be breadwinners have gone.

Now obviously there are couples where the man is the chief breadwinner and the woman tends to the family. That's great if it works for them.

But to claim that "men are providers, women want to take care of men" erases the experiences and intentions of millions of people who don't operate that way.

To insist that it is the nature of men and women to fit your stereotype (even though the facts say otherwise) invalidates a whole lot of people. What's the point of doing that?
You didn't answer my question.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:33 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
You didn't answer my question.
I did answer you, but you apparently don't like the answer.

I still don't understand your interest in trying to pump up a stereotype that obviously misses the mark with a whole lot of people and treats them as if they are an aberration from normal.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:31 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Can we get back on topic here? UGA girls are apparently whores. Discuss...

I kid, I kid.
I protest! Whores and gold-diggers are not the same thing.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:54 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,306,779 times
You've brought up a LOT of great points there.

I even see a lot of it in my own family and with a lot of friends I grew up with but ultimately separated from. A lot of the men in my generational age group in my family tend not to really do the best that they can do, and ultimately fizzle out by the end of high school...if they even make it that far(some drop out and get GEDs). Luckily & blessedly, my own mother pushed me to go beyond that.

And the work place is just as brutal to black men. It's no coincidence that college educated black have an unemployment rate that's almost double that of college educated white men, and that black men in general have an unemployment rate that's over 2 points higher than black women.

Maybe I'm delving too much into the dark side of human nature, but I can't help but wonder if there is a connection between the frustration in the relative lack of economic opportunity and the sky-high increase in domestic violence incidents as of recent.

I do so totally wish that our corporate mainstream media would get to the bottom of this, but very likely, they probably don't give a rat's butt to look into this situation. Something like that actually involves caring about ALL of humanity, and I see that in very short supply with these powerful mega-corporations and their owners.

That snowball is rolling down the hill like you said, and if or when it is allowed to reach bottom, this country will be submerged into a totally avoidable & oh-so preventable hades of its own creation.

Oh well, I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Not only that, but there is this perception that women have it rough, just because they are women. Mama encourages their little girls to get out and make something of themselves, but mama doesn't push her lil boys in the same manner. All mothers think their sons have a natural ability to attract women. Many mothers set their children male & female to fail, because they are treating their sons like little princes & treating their daughter like liabilities. Mothers put a lot of pressure on daughters to be educated, work hard & never be satisfied, but these same mothers don't treat their sons this way. These well paying jobs/careers take full advantage of the need women have to prove this & that to the world. Men will continue to lose their value, while women continue to gain wealth, but never have a mate, because of that wealth. The snowball is rolling down the hill & the dominos are falling.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 10-23-2012 at 05:52 AM..

Old 10-23-2012, 05:30 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,470 times
Quote:
I did answer you, but you apparently don't like the answer.

I still don't understand your interest in trying to pump up a stereotype that obviously misses the mark with a whole lot of people and treats them as if they are an aberration from normal.

I asked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Men haven't historically been bread winners? Women want to take care if men?

You never answered this question. You just created a strawman.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:13 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Why do you say that? You know its not kind to say things like this?
But it is kind to suggest that the primary motive for a woman to attend college is to find a man and nail his feet to the floor for financial security.
As Rita Mae Brown once said, any woman that depends on another human being for their livelihood is a fool.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:21 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times
Alright folks... My daughter is a UGA student. Watch it - I know where you live!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:21 PM

388 posts, read 1,125,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Alright folks... My daughter is a UGA student. Watch it - I know where you live!

My daughter will be a UGA student in the spring.

To Hell With georgia!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:19 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
But it is kind to suggest that the primary motive for a woman to attend college is to find a man and nail his feet to the floor for financial security.
As Rita Mae Brown once said, any woman that depends on another human being for their livelihood is a fool.
for the record gold diggers exist for a reason. There are male suckers they can take advantage of. Your a woman so you know first hand how tricky your gender can be You've said it yourself quite a few times on this forum..so don't say you never have. And stop acting like a damm old lady too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta