Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 02:46 AM

293 posts, read 898,330 times

Advertisements

I like Jewish people; very friendly, and very respectful of others. This is not at all difficult to live among them. A deep sense of community. Very intelligent people. Not sure I understand the overall question but just wanted to give you my thumb up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 06:12 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,841,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishintown View Post
I currently live in an area with a high Islamic population, I use the halal butcher that is nearby, as does a jewish friend as it happens.

I don't believe in the easter bunny either, am I a bad man? (lol)
This is a very old thread, but still very relevant. In searching for information about Jews in Newnan, I came across it today. Sorry if I repeat what has already been written, but I just want to express my own thoughts.

The point of being close to other Jewish people, as posted earlier, is to celebrate religious activities and to pray, etc., with other Jews. If you are kosher and live far from any kosher markets, it might be difficult to shop for groceries.

For me, personally, the only reason I've shown interest in living in an area with a synagogue is so I won't feel totally out of place in a new area. Of course we're all Americans, and I've attended many church services too, since I love to sing gospel music and find sermons interesting and often inspiring.

However, when I searched for a Yahrzeit candle in my area a couple of years ago, nobody knew what it was, so I called a synagogue in Naples. Had I planned better, I could have bought some online. I'm not very ethnic, but since I grew up in Newton MA it was a culture shock for me to leave the Boston area where most people know what schlep or kvetch means. When my sister asked what I wanted for my birthday, I said "send some Halvah and a chocolate bubka!"

Frankly, I don't like organized religion very much, but it's hard to describe why a Jew might desire to live in an area where other Jews reside to a Christian, only because the United States is a Christian country. Many people don't realize that only a fraction of 1% of the world population is Jewish, about 6 million in the United States or approximately 2%.

I've heard some of my neighbors use very anti-Semitic language like "he's a dirty Jew" or "why don't we bomb Israel and just finish the job Hitler started." Maybe it's because I have light blonde hair and green eyes, so they automatically assume I'm not Jewish for some strange reason. I will probably hear that type of hatred wherever I live, but imagine being the only non-smoker in a city where everyone smokes or the opposite, being a chain smoker in a city full of radical anti-smokers. No matter what the reason, people are social beings and often need to be with their own. It's not snobbery, it's not exclusiveness, but the desire to be accepted and understood.

Although this is a bit off-topic, since Jewish isn't a political party, I also found it hard to live in a politically conservative Red state, but after living in Southwest Florida, I bet Georgia would be a piece of cake! Having said that, I only need to move to the other side of the state to Palm Beach or Broward counties!

Old 04-28-2009, 09:47 PM

722 posts, read 3,305,737 times
wow, I can't believe people use those slurs, that's downright evil. People in Newnan can be a little close minded but I've never heard things like that!

Old 04-28-2009, 11:45 PM

880 posts, read 2,851,430 times
Heh, the Coweta and Fayette county areas of metro Atlanta are a LOT more conservative than SW Florida (Coweta has voted 75% Republican on average during elections). In fact, some of the most conservative counties in the US are in the Atlanta exurbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta