U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-16-2012, 11:21 PM

1,062 posts, read 563,537 times
yeah it is.

In reference to the OP's question, this map from that tool shows the distribution of same sex couples. The darker areas have a greater concentration.

Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 11:23 PM

188 posts, read 65,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
So are you looking for the type of neighborhood where guys in pastel tank tops, big sunglasses, and really short shorts twirl around on roller skates and where you never can tell when some random person will burst out with a rousing rendition of a Broadway show stopper? Ehh, I don't think that ever really existed outside of San Francisco. And I've seen some rollerbladers in Piedmont Park but they might have just been "gay" in another sense.

My (straight guy) theory is that a lot of the "I'm here, I'm *****..." gays have mellowed out and the younger ones have less to rail against since gayness is more and more accepted/tolerated nowadays. People who feel more "accepted" tend not to be so "in your face" so to speak. Plus, yuppies have been infiltrating all the intown hoods over the past few years. You should see how bad they are in L5P.
Try not to confuse "very gay" with "very Portlandia".

My "gay guy" theory is that I have never seen what you have just described in my life, so Im guessing you must have put a LOT of thought into it.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:42 PM

188 posts, read 65,250 times
Thanks for all the good feedback and the block map also. Is that from the 2010 census?

I completely understand the argument that many gays feel more accepted and no longer "need" to live in a gay ghetto or whatnot, but I really dont buy that argument except for maybe older gay couples who just want to blend in. Gay guys, accepted or not, still need to date and find partners. Will Opera let gay guys pay $20 to dance to some crappy music with everyone else? Sure, but they arent going to meet anyone to take home or ask out on a date. So, I really dont buy that argument honestly. Perhaps for coupled gays, but not for single gays. A survey/study I read once stated that on average about 13% of gay men are in committed relationships, the proportion was much higher for lesbians and I think that has a lot more to do with gender than orientation - men and women value different things in relationships altogether so dating/mating is different for gay men than it is for lesbians, etc.

I think for gay men, its more important to live somewhere where there is going to be people you can meet in everyday settings who could be "potential" for something more than just a friendly hello, so while it may not be important to the couples moving to Duluth or Marietta, its still important to gay men. This idea is another reason why Im so frustrated with the same-sex household data - because it doesnt really tell me much.

So, what do you think about that? Do you think that single gay men still think its important to be around each other, or do you think theyll settle to hanging at Wild Bills or whatnot since they are more "tolerated" these days. I mean, yeah, I go out with my straight friends more than anything else... I honestly have very few gay friends, mainly hang out with straight people, but do I have a great time when there is NO ONE to talk to in the bar or coffee shop who we'd both be mutually attracted to? Not really.

I lived on Myrtle Street for two years, I love the street, the neighborhood, the park. And yeah its a pretty gay area, but the crime is getting really bad lately, dont see as many gay people it seems like, etc. Also I have visited other cities "gay areas" like DC Dupont Circle (didnt see one gay flag or anyone who looked remotely gay or any gay-looking businesses). I dont know. Not meaning to rant at all, just throwing around ideas.

Also, like when I moved here, apartment complexes like the Heights at Cheshire Bridge were almost 100% gay, then within two years, not that many gay people live there anymore. Any knowledge of what apartment complexes are gay? I dont know. I just hear tidbits here and there like 'all the gays are moving to Inman park, or grant park or this place or that place - just want to know what others think. Should I stay in Midtown or look into other areas? Thanks for all the feedback!!

Also, someone suggested that white gays start patronizing the black gay hangouts, like they do with us... so I have no idea what those places are. Really, I know there is a black gay culture here but I have NO IDEA of any black gay bars... do they advertise?

Old 01-17-2012, 12:16 AM

1,062 posts, read 563,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewplanner View Post
Thanks for all the good feedback and the block map also. Is that from the 2010 census?

I completely understand the argument that many gays feel more accepted and no longer "need" to live in a gay ghetto or whatnot, but I really dont buy that argument except for maybe older gay couples who just want to blend in. Gay guys, accepted or not, still need to date and find partners. Will Opera let gay guys pay $20 to dance to some crappy music with everyone else? Sure, but they arent going to meet anyone to take home or ask out on a date. So, I really dont buy that argument honestly. Perhaps for coupled gays, but not for single gays. A survey/study I read once stated that on average about 13% of gay men are in committed relationships, the proportion was much higher for lesbians and I think that has a lot more to do with gender than orientation - men and women value different things in relationships altogether so dating/mating is different for gay men than it is for lesbians, etc.

I think for gay men, its more important to live somewhere where there is going to be people you can meet in everyday settings who could be "potential" for something more than just a friendly hello, so while it may not be important to the couples moving to Duluth or Marietta, its still important to gay men. This idea is another reason why Im so frustrated with the same-sex household data - because it doesnt really tell me much.

So, what do you think about that? Do you think that single gay men still think its important to be around each other, or do you think theyll settle to hanging at Wild Bills or whatnot since they are more "tolerated" these days. I mean, yeah, I go out with my straight friends more than anything else... I honestly have very few gay friends, mainly hang out with straight people, but do I have a great time when there is NO ONE to talk to in the bar or coffee shop who we'd both be mutually attracted to? Not really.
Of course it's important to be able to meet people, and I think most single gay men still gravitate to the more popular intown neighborhoods for this reason. Being OTP would be boring to me as a single guy.

Quote:
Also, someone suggested that white gays start patronizing the black gay hangouts, like they do with us... so I have no idea what those places are. Really, I know there is a black gay culture here but I have NO IDEA of any black gay bars... do they advertise?
Bulldogs is the only one I know of.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:22 AM

4,714 posts, read 4,811,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Prob has a lot to do with the fact that while having around the same amount of gays the city and metro of Dallas are much larger than Atlanta. The burbs of Atlanta seem more connected with the city center rather than the huge mega burbs you find in the Metroplex. I don't think either Dallas or Atlanta are more gay friendly than the other. Having the centralized gay district in Oak Lawn is definitely a plus Dallas offers and the other gay district in the Bishop Arts area is growing to be a popular area as well.
Take around the 1 million in the immediate Fort Worth area away from the DFW metroplex and Dallas and Atlanta are almost mirror images population wise, culture wise and distribution of white to minorities. Dallas has a smaller African American population but a much larger Hispanic population. The northern burbs are wealthier and whiter for both cities.

While I am probably one of the least informed posters here about gay culture, thought my perspective would give some insight as to what does filter over to me. In Atlanta, gay culture seemed MUCH more in the forefront than it does here in Dallas. Absolutely nothing fact based, just what I have observed having spent a great deal of time in both metro areas.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:46 AM

700 posts, read 729,663 times
Quote:

I lived on Myrtle Street for two years, I love the street, the neighborhood, the park. And yeah its a pretty gay area, but the crime is getting really bad lately, dont see as many gay people it seems like, etc. Also I have visited other cities "gay areas" like DC Dupont Circle (didnt see one gay flag or anyone who looked remotely gay or any gay-looking businesses). I dont know. Not meaning to rant at all, just throwing around ideas.

Also, like when I moved here, apartment complexes like the Heights at Cheshire Bridge were almost 100% gay, then within two years, not that many gay people live there anymore. Any knowledge of what apartment complexes are gay? I dont know. I just hear tidbits here and there like 'all the gays are moving to Inman park, or grant park or this place or that place - just want to know what others think. Should I stay in Midtown or look into other areas? Thanks for all the feedback!!

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you are taking this way too seriously. If Myrtle Street isn't gay enough for you, then I don't know what is. If you hear anyone saying "all the gays are moving here" it's probably best to ignore them - they don't know what they're talking about. There might be some pioneers in West End or Capitol View but that doesn't mean Ansley Starbucks won't still be a meat market for years to come.

Rest assured there are gay guys in every corner of this town. Your apartment complex may only be 95% gay but you've still got a great chance of getting laid.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:32 AM

4,030 posts, read 3,257,048 times
Probably the best thing to do is drive all around where you think there may be a lot of gay people with your Grindr app open.

Keep refreshing it and see where the best looking people pop up.

Perfect? No. But more accurate than anything you are going to learn here? Probably.

I actually use the Grindr trick quite a bit since one of my gay friends showed me the app. Not looking for the best looking people, but it's an instant barometer of the cultural and racial composition of whatever area you are in. Every real estate agent should use it!

Old 01-17-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
yeah it is.

In reference to the OP's question, this map from that tool shows the distribution of same sex couples. The darker areas have a greater concentration.
Interested in who made this map. What is Pittsburgh doing up between Chamblee and Tucker? Pittsburgh is an old neighborhood SSW of downtown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_(Atlanta)

Old 01-17-2012, 01:23 PM

8,617 posts, read 11,275,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Interested in who made this map. What is Pittsburgh doing up between Chamblee and Tucker? Pittsburgh is an old neighborhood SSW of downtown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_(Atlanta)

Brother Marks, you know I love you to death, but there actually is a community in North DeKalb County known as "Pittsburg." I think it is considered an area or neighborhood of Tucker:

Pittsburg, DeKalb County, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Homes in the Pittsburg community of Tucker in DeKalb County, Georgia - Nearbyhoods.com

Map of PITTSBURG PLAZA, 4324 CHAMBLEE TUCKER RD, TUCKER, GA 30084 on Citysearch

Pittsburg Plaza in Tucker, GA | 4324 Chamblee Tucker Rd, Tucker, GA

There's even a Pittsburg Plaza shopping center!

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 06:25 AM..

Old 01-17-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Brother Marks, you know I love you to death, but there actually is a community in North DeKalb County known as "Pittsburg." I think it is considered an area or neighborhood of Tucker:

Pittsburg, DeKalb County, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Homes in the Pittsburg community of Tucker in DeKalb County, Georgia - Nearbyhoods.com

Map of PITTSBURG PLAZA, 4324 CHAMBLEE TUCKER RD, TUCKER, GA 30084 on Citysearch

Pittsburg Plaza in Tucker, GA | 4324 Chamblee Tucker Rd, Tucker, GA

There's even a Pittsburg Plaza shopping center!
Well eat my shoe! Never heard of this Pittsburg. Without the H on the end I see. I learned something today. I do wonder as to its gay appeal, lol.

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 06:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta