Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 07:06 PM

191 posts, read 323,238 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have lived in Midtown near Piedmont Park for two years now. But it seems that Midtown is losing its gayness - with gay businesses closing and seeing a huge influx of heterosexual families out and about, I am interested in relocating to a different neighborhood.

I want to live in a very gay area that is somewhat walkable and has all the essential places to shop and do business.

Any realtors or otherwise knowledgeable people know where the gays are moving? Are they still moving to Grant Park or other areas?

Also, I have attempted to answer this question somewhat for myself by getting the same-sex household data from the 2010 census for census tracts or block/block-groups. I cannot find it, but I know they've released it because the Palm Institute already published maps of household count per 1000 - but they are too small to see the Atlanta area up close and figure out which neighborhoods are gayer. Also, I dont necessarily want to live near same sex couples but thats the only way I know to get some idea of where gays are migrating.

Anyone have some insight to share on this? I want to live in a very gay place. Im moving in March - HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 07:13 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
LOL, I think what you are seeing is that there is going to be less and less of that going forward.

Fewer gay people feel the need to live in a "very gay area" anymore. So where are we moving? Everywhere that would attract anyone else for general reasons.

I'm around the Toco Hills area, and there's plenty of gay people there (less than midtown though), but also plenty of other diverse groups. Lots of gay people are moving to the suburbs now, especially couples.

But midtown is still probably going to be the gayest area in Atlanta, so if that's not gay enough for you, I would suggest moving to San Francisco or New York.

Previously the most needed impetus for the "very gay area" was that it was hard for gay people to feel accepted in a lot of other places, but that's just not the case anymore.

Personally I think it's great as a gay person that the gay areas are dispersing a bit and people are relocating everywhere. That will only lead to more people getting to know us and acceptance increasing.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:25 PM

747 posts, read 1,544,440 times
I agree with @alttechdude - emerging gayborhoods will probably be hard to pinpoint. Not only do gay people not feel as pressed to live among their "own kind" as in days of yore, but the psychological factors of gentrification aren't the same - i.e. since urban living/pioneering has gone more mainstream it's not necessarily people on the edges of society that are doing the gentrifying.

I remember seeing somewhere that the Toco Hills/North Druid Hills area has the most gay couples per census data, but even though all your daily needs are met it's not really a walking environment. It doesn't have a reputation for being "really gay." I think the closest competitor to Midtown's gayness is East Atlanta, which you probably know has a great village area with a good bit of LGBT-owned businesses. I lived there a few years ago, but it was just a little too removed from Midtown's nightlife for my taste.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:26 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times
Midtown will always be the Castro of Atlanta. It will *** back in a huge way in the near future.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:55 PM

538 posts, read 926,064 times
Stay in Midtown and jump in a time machine back to the mid-80s.......you will feel right at home.....the halloween parties were to die for.......

Old 01-13-2012, 10:44 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Most of my gay friends left Atlanta. If I were a single gay man, I probably would as well for a destination like Chicago....well, I couldn't stand the cold, so I'd probaby go to Miami or LA, but if I wanted a gay scene that was still good, Chicago or New York.

While I think it's great that gay people are accepted in so many more places now, I can't help but feel a bit of a loss for the "gay culture."

I mean, I still go to Brushstrokes to buy just about all of my Christmas cards. There really isn't a place other than a gay store that would sell most of what they do.

And when my old friends visit town, I will still go with them to the only place left in Atlanta that they still like to go, Blakes. They, and I, both notice that the demographics there have changed drastically over the past few years and it's just....well, grosser than it used to be. It used to be almost all good looking people. Not anymore. I don't think that scene is coming back anytime soon. Think about it, if you were a fresh young gay college grad right now and could choose between like Atlanta, New York, San Francisco, etc. would you pick Atlanta? Nobody else is either.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:47 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Think about it, if you were a fresh young gay college grad right now and could choose between like Atlanta, New York, San Francisco, etc. would you pick Atlanta? Nobody else is either.
Atlanta is much more affordable than San Fran or New York. I'm a young gay recent grad and it's still my choice for now.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:39 AM

183 posts, read 196,777 times
Nah, trust me, Atlanta is pretty gay.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:06 AM

183 posts, read 196,777 times
Quote:
Think about it, if you were a fresh young gay college grad right now and could choose between like Atlanta, New York, San Francisco, etc. would you pick Atlanta? Nobody else is either.

You can make that argument with any grad regardless of sexual orientation. Those cities are just better.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:49 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,671 times
Quote:
Most of my gay friends left Atlanta. If I were a single gay man, I probably would as well for a destination like Chicago....well, I couldn't stand the cold, so I'd probaby go to Miami or LA, but if I wanted a gay scene that was still good, Chicago or New York.

While I think it's great that gay people are accepted in so many more places now, I can't help but feel a bit of a loss for the "gay culture."

I mean, I still go to Brushstrokes to buy just about all of my Christmas cards. There really isn't a place other than a gay store that would sell most of what they do.

And when my old friends visit town, I will still go with them to the only place left in Atlanta that they still like to go, Blakes. They, and I, both notice that the demographics there have changed drastically over the past few years and it's just....well, grosser than it used to be. It used to be almost all good looking people. Not anymore. I don't think that scene is coming back anytime soon. Think about it, if you were a fresh young gay college grad right now and could choose between like Atlanta, New York, San Francisco, etc. would you pick Atlanta? Nobody else is either.
You must be talking about white gay men? Because u know the gay scene is divided. Maybe of they would come together maybe they would have more. I could argue that being a fresh grad and being African American that SF Chicago LA etc would not be a good choice. There are only 3 places that's best for African Americans that's Atlanta DC and NY.. have u seen Blake's on Sundays?? That's the only place u will see them blend together. Its MLK weekend which is a huge party weekend for African Americans..What the white gay men need to do is start invading into our scene just like we do theres. Truth be told there is more to do for us Monday thru Sunday.

Last edited by Staysean23; 01-14-2012 at 08:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta