U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:59 PM

8,334 posts, read 10,281,587 times

Advertisements

I agree about Texas. I can't really comment on what exactly the draws are there because I would almost consider Dallas a sister city to Atlanta in terms of infrastructure, culture, etc., but Houston is pretty dumpy and I can't fathom why anybody would voluntarily move there. It looks, though, like they must be doing something right.

Quote:
I"m so sick and tired of all these "major cities" on lists... Only an ignorant fool only looks at "major cities"
Did you not read the article? It did rank cities like Nashville and Birmingham. Do you think we should be compared to places like Macon and Augusta? If so, then why not Tifton or Opp, Alabama?

Quote:
If you remove all the cities in "metro" Atlanta they are all jokes of cities and can't hold up to most medium sized cities in America. Marietta, Sandy SPrings, Dunwoody, College Park, etc. etc. etc. are all individual laughing stocks of the nation, yet people lump all these losers into the "metro".
Thank you, that's the textbook definition of metro. Metropolitan area consists of more than city limits of the actual city. And if you think places like Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, and Marietta are losers and laughing stocks, I would hate to find out what parts of Atlanta you think are winners.

And you know, people always want to bring race into things where it shouldn't and ignore it where they shouldn't. And I'm sure there are people on here that would want to label someone like me a racist for saying the truth. Well, I don't care if you do, that's your problem. Let's address the truth: a great deal of wealthy people and job creators don't want to live in a black city. There it is. You don't have to like it and you can argue with it, but that's the truth. It's not true of all of them, which is why I said "a great deal of" and not "all," but go to other places in the country and one of the number one things you'll hear from people is "there sure are a lot of black people in Atlanta." Most of the time they aren't saying it because they think the hip hop clubs are so dandy, they're saying it because they feel threatened.

Hey, I'm not saying it's right, and I'm not saying I agree with it. I'm just saying that's the case. It really doesn't matter if you agree with it, because it's true.

I'm sure I'll regret ever saying it, but that's the elephant in the room.

What we need more than anything else is to diversify the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 01:13 PM

208 posts, read 355,545 times
Who cares if nobody wants to live in the "black city"? That city is only 10% of metro Atlanta and the wealthy people that do live there aren't job creators at all, not the young fresh type of millionaires you'll find out west. There's a lot of established executives in Atlanta, the types that lay off people or merge companies, or buy out other companies to stay afloat... kinda like ATT, Ga pacific, Coke, etc. etc. Those people don't create innovations, they just change labels, bottle shapes, or rename their companies every 5 years.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:31 PM

664 posts, read 1,471,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Can someone explain the "draw" of Dallas and Houston?? Why are they not perceived as sprawling and devoid of culture?? And what explains their massive growth? I know Texas is constantly building new infrastructure, but seriously... how are those two cities not considered sprawling, ghetto, country, etc... why is Atlanta singled out? I didn't find Dallas or Houston to be anymore cosmopolitan then Atlanta (and neither had a "vibrant downtown")... in fact, Texas does not seem appealing at all as a place to live (it's just as socially conservative as Georgia, if not more so), but maybe that's just me (and I'm not being an "Atlanta booster" as I know it is not perfect here either... just don't understand how we are worse and what the appeal of Dallas and Houston are).

You can't tell me people don't also come to Dallas and Houston to work, and if the work dried up these people would not move elsewhere...
I moved from metro Atlanta to the Dallas-Ft Worth metropolitan area last year so I can provide some of my own personal insight into the "draw" of DFW over ATL. There were a lot of things I liked about Atlanta. I liked its climate. I liked the nightlife. I liked the relatively low cost of living. I liked a lot of the city amenities.

I hated the traffic. And I mean I REALLY hated the traffic. There were very few controlled-access highways, surface streets were generally not keeping up with the population, and if there was a wreck or something there was basically no way around it. That's not the only reason I left but it was about 90% of my drive to leave. In DFW I found a lot of the things I liked about Atlanta but with a lot more road infrastructure. When the people in that area started outgrowing the roads, they didn't get a lecture about how more roads would just cause more sprawl. They didn't get a freeway revolt. They just got more road infrastructure. And a lot of it came ahead of the traffic. Plus, the controlled-access roads that reach further out into suburbia are generally toll roads. That works for me, too. Want to live way out there? Ok, but you're paying your own way into the city.

The general population of Atlanta just wanted something other than what I wanted. That's ok, but I found a place that gives me 90% of what I like about Atlanta plus gives me something that I like but really hated about Atlanta. For me, it was an easy decision. Do I miss Atlanta? Yes. Do I regret moving? Absolutely not. That may change one day, but if it does, I'll move again.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:32 PM

367 posts, read 473,092 times
Westlake Chemical proposes to buy Georgia Gulf Corp. - Houston Business Journal

Local Economic Snapshot: Oil and natural gas wildcatters make comeback in Texas | Dallas-Fort Worth Business News - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

what we need to do is figure out a way to discover some sort of fossil fuel under our borders...

Old 01-18-2012, 01:35 PM

4,434 posts, read 4,422,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weort View Post
Those cities are also places where folks come to work. When the work is gone, many of them will be too.

Also, those two aren't a black mecca. If a city, let's say Little Rock made itself known as the Samoan mecca, many people would see that as exclusionary. While there are opps for all kinds of people in ATL, the overwhelming bias is toward blacks. A lot of professional level people have left and aren't coming back.
I addressed this

Quote:
The race issue I hear one group screaming that reverse racism crap all the time and another saying If your black and move to Atlanta you have to deal with whites that have resentment that the city is popular to blacks. Again the view of this is not a good look. Atlanta has no more or no less racial issues then other parts of country, but if you have people believing that it's hurts Atlanta anyway.
Are you aware that's coming off as a resentment that Atlanta is popular with blacks. Also any one that feel they should leave because Atlanta is popular with blacks is like white flight on a national scale that would be clearly racist. And we don't need the perceived view of that especially with being in the south.

Also "Black meeca" is a stupid term I don't know any one black who really refers to Atlanta as that. It doesn't matter what you call it, so lets just say Atlanta is popular with blacks that mean.

Atlanta blacks vs DC, Chicago, LA and etc blacks

Not this

Atlanta blacks vs Atlanta whites, Asian, latino and etc.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:42 PM

It also probably wouldn't hurt to get rid of the state income tax and have none, like Texas. Florida also seems to be getting by okay without one.

Of course, on this board, most people seem to want to be taxed into oblivion.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:44 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,176,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Can someone explain the "draw" of Dallas and Houston?? Why are they not perceived as sprawling and devoid of culture?? And what explains their massive growth? I know Texas is constantly building new infrastructure, but seriously... how are those two cities not considered sprawling, ghetto, country, etc... why is Atlanta singled out? I didn't find Dallas or Houston to be anymore cosmopolitan then Atlanta (and neither had a "vibrant downtown")... in fact, Texas does not seem appealing at all as a place to live (it's just as socially conservative as Georgia, if not more so), but maybe that's just me (and I'm not being an "Atlanta booster" as I know it is not perfect here either... just don't understand how we are worse and what the appeal of Dallas and Houston are).

You can't tell me people don't also come to Dallas and Houston to work, and if the work dried up these people would not move elsewhere...
You are under the assumption that all of those things are what makes a city economically viable (they aren't). Things like popularity, COL, coffee house and hipster density, etc are in a different category from what makes cities the most money. This is why the big Texas cities are doing so well economically:

That's really all there is too it. They're economies are supported by an industry that has not been affected by this recession.

Last edited by waronxmas; 01-18-2012 at 02:07 PM..

Old 01-18-2012, 01:46 PM

664 posts, read 1,471,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It also probably wouldn't hurt to get rid of the state income tax and have none, like Texas. Florida also seems to be getting by okay without one.

Of course, on this board, most people seem to want to be taxed into oblivion.
The taxman gets his money one way or another. There's no income tax in Texas but property tax is 3x - 4x what it is here. I paid almost exactly the same in 2010 Georgia income tax + 2010 Georgia property tax as I did in 2011 Texas property tax alone.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:50 PM

Maybe so, but you could have CHOSEN to live in a less valuable home.

Most people would not CHOOSE to have a lower income.

At least property tax penalizes consumption where income tax penalizes income.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:01 PM

369 posts, read 546,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Maybe so, but you could have CHOSEN to live in a less valuable home.

Most people would not CHOOSE to have a lower income.

At least property tax penalizes consumption where income tax penalizes income.
Or rent an apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or