Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 02:02 PM

208 posts, read 419,142 times

Advertisements

Denver provides me with an exceptionally nice and vibrant downtown (surprisingly much better than even Seattle), an abundance of outdoors activities, and a climate with more character (was tired of seeing green trees in November everywhere in Atlanta). I miss the economic/business aspect of life in Atlanta, as well as the nightlife, but I'd rather live somewhere where people are moving because it's a nice place to live rather than somewhere that uses corporate tax incentives to lure their migration... to me that's lazy thinking on all levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 02:07 PM

663 posts, read 1,724,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
Or rent an apartment.
Apartments pay property tax, too. A tenant might not hand the money over directly to the tax collector, but those taxes are very much built into the rent you pay.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:20 PM

747 posts, read 1,544,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfilms View Post
Denver provides me with an exceptionally nice and vibrant downtown (surprisingly much better than even Seattle), an abundance of outdoors activities, and a climate with more character (was tired of seeing green trees in November everywhere in Atlanta). I miss the economic/business aspect of life in Atlanta, as well as the nightlife, but I'd rather live somewhere where people are moving because it's a nice place to live rather than somewhere that uses corporate tax incentives to lure their migration... to me that's lazy thinking on all levels.
I agree with you that Atlanta (and Georgia) should focus more on livability and less on "live and work here 'cuz it's cheap." Given, affordability is a great incentive, but it'll only get you so far. Not sure we can do much about the foliage though . If you don't mind me asking, did you move to Denver because of your job or did you start fresh?

Old 01-18-2012, 02:25 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
This study is not a sham, and saying so reveals that you are either ignorant or did not take five minutes to absorb its information. First of all, the Brookings Institution is a highly-respected think-tank. Second of all, the study was based on real income growth and emplyment growth, which is a pretty simple but accurate measure of a region's health.

In the last year, Atlanta's income grew .4%, while its employment contracted .9%. That puts us at #189, basically one of the worst in the entire Western world.

Houston came in at #36, with whopping growth of 3.7% in income and 2.4% in employment. Dallas did even better, registering at #19 and clocking an impressive growth of 5.5% and 2.5% in income and employment, respectively.

The alarm bells are ringing for Atlanta. A city that once led recoveries in the U.S. now does not even participate. Long term trends that began before the recession portray Atlanta as a boom city gone bust, and refusing to accept that or blaming it on recession is ignoring the problem.

Which gets me to my next point: the biggest problem facing Atlanta is its perception. Corporations perceive it as a traffic-infested metro, low-lifes perceive it as a hip-hop capital where handouts come easy, and the young creative class percieves it as a sprawling city devoid of culture. Only after each of these is addressed through action (whether it be marketing or infrastructure improvements) will Atlanta's health improve.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:36 PM

208 posts, read 419,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, did you move to Denver because of your job or did you start fresh?
I researched and visited the city, and then just moved here. I'm blessed in that I found something where i can work self-employed. While homes may be more expensive here, the rental market here is much much better than Atlanta. I don't think anyone should rent in Atlanta, period, you're better off living with parents and saving for 1-2 years and just buying your own place than renting in Atlanta. Rent is about 20-30% cheaper here and the way the city is laid out affords you much more convenience. Imagine old fourth ward with more density and no crime or ghettos and that's what in-town Denver is like.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:50 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfilms View Post
If you remove all the cities in "metro" Atlanta they are all jokes of cities and can't hold up to most medium sized cities in America. Marietta, Sandy SPrings, Dunwoody, College Park, etc. etc. etc. are all individual laughing stocks of the nation, yet people lump all these losers into the "metro".
I get the impression, after having lived proximate to Marietta for several years, that the City of Marietta has been doing just fine.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:23 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
For those who are paying close attention, Atlanta's jobs data for December will be released tomorrow morning. We had a string of positive reports the last few months, and the national report for December was quite positive as well.

If you exclude our problem sectors of Construction, Finance, and Government and only look at all other sectors, Atlanta employment is at its highest level post-2008. (Actually government is above those levels as well, but has been shedding jobs more lately.)

Old 01-19-2012, 08:29 AM

188 posts, read 297,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Cobain hit it EXACTLY!

I also think Atlanta is a city people come to work. When the good work dries up, people with skills either leave for more thriving cities or they return to their home cities. If not, they go places with great draws. What I'm saying is if you are going to be unemplyed or underemployed regardless, few people choose to do that here.
Exactly. Atlanta has as much "draw" as Detroit (and actually, Detroit seems to be trending a lot better). Both are jobs-driven towns. I came to Atlanta for a corporate job, I'm still here because of that job, and I would leave Atlanta if I didn't have that job.

I was in Detroit a couple weeks ago and the malls are packed with shoppers. In Atlanta, shopping seems to be a phenomena that doesn't exist on the south-side.

The trend is miserable for homes in Atlanta too: Redfin Sweet Digs Atlanta: Atlanta real estate blog focusing on hot properties and current market trends.

Ouch. With all of these economic measures, I feel like my net worth is decreasing just by living in Atlanta.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:10 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It also probably wouldn't hurt to get rid of the state income tax and have none, like Texas. Florida also seems to be getting by okay without one.

Of course, on this board, most people seem to want to be taxed into oblivion.
Check property taxes and insurance in Florida (esp. So. Fla), then you'll stop yapping about income taxes in GA. As a matter of fact, check salaries, COL, then look at what the same amount of money buys you there, the lifestyle, amenities you get for your money, then come talk. Florida is a sitting duck state that relies mainly on tourism, and retiree money (wise retirees left). Their governor is probably the worse in Florida history. Please stop the whining already. You will get reemed one way or another with taxes. You've been paying them all your life, why is it bothering you now? Gotta pay to play.

You think Atlanta is really bad, try Miami. I get a kick out of people who don't have it as bad, but cry all day about nonsense. (not speaking of you specifically). When I travel down there (which is very often), I count my blessings I live in GA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFox View Post
Exactly. Atlanta has as much "draw" as Detroit (and actually, Detroit seems to be trending a lot better). Both are jobs-driven towns. I came to Atlanta for a corporate job, I'm still here because of that job, and I would leave Atlanta if I didn't have that job.

I was in Detroit a couple weeks ago and the malls are packed with shoppers. In Atlanta, shopping seems to be a phenomena that doesn't exist on the south-side.

The trend is miserable for homes in Atlanta too: Redfin Sweet Digs Atlanta: Atlanta real estate blog focusing on hot properties and current market trends.

Ouch. With all of these economic measures, I feel like my net worth is decreasing just by living in Atlanta.
Hey, there's always Miami. Fly your Foxy tail down there!! Adios!!

Old 01-19-2012, 10:56 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Quote:
In Atlanta, shopping seems to be a phenomena that doesn't exist on the south-side.
That's because the southside is not the most thriving part of the city. Go to Lenox, Perimeter, or Mall of Georgia on any Saturday and you'll see a packed mall.

Quote:
Check property taxes and insurance in Florida (esp. So. Fla), then you'll stop yapping about income taxes in GA
Most people that I know in Florida have lived there for a long time. Florida has something like California (I'm not sure what it is called), where property taxes get locked and are only allowed to go up a certain percentage every year until the house changes hands. So for example, my parents who bought a house on the east coast of Florida for $160,000 in 1994 saw their house go up to over $400,000 (it's probably somewhere in the low 300s by now), but they didn't have to start paying property taxes on $400,000 like you would in Georgia. It only went up 2 or 3%, or whatever the cap is. Some day when I get that house, I'll have to pay the re-assessed property taxes on it.

Florida is actually really cheap to live in. Flood insurance is regulated by FEMA, there's no income tax, your property tax is capped, and food is pretty cheap. People who say Florida is in trouble have no idea what they are talking about, numbers will go up and down, but nothing is ever going to change the fact that Florida has the best beaches in the continental United States and it will always be a tremendous tourist draw. As for other industries there, that's a bit dicier. I hear Cocao Beach has been hit hard by NASA losing all the jobs at Kennedy Space Center, so things like that do occur there.

BTW, when I speak of Florida, I am referring to the Georgia border on down to around Sebring or so. I consider South Florida to not only be another state, but really another country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta