U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 04:45 AM

14 posts, read 21,853 times

Advertisements

I seem very surprised by this, I was in Atlanta last April for a couple of weeks and it seemed to be a very thriving city with millions of people and people were spending lots of money. If you had to compare Atlanta or Georgia to Ireland's economy then its easy say Ireland is a ghost town. Dublin is also on the list of the worst porforming cities but thats not a surprise to me but i think Atlanta being on the list of the worst performing cities is a huge surprise. This has to be a mistake on Atlanta's behalf.

Heres the link Brookings - Quality. Independence. Impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 05:01 AM

3,257 posts, read 4,659,701 times
Atlanta and the entire southeast US have been walloped by the recession far moreso than the rest of America. The best performing cities in the region are middle-performers, and most are in the poorer categories. Fortunately, things seem to be getting better.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:09 AM

208 posts, read 354,450 times
Detroit was ranked 2ND highest in the nation.... Enough said about this "study"

Old 01-18-2012, 08:10 AM

1,498 posts, read 2,610,535 times
This study is not a sham, and saying so reveals that you are either ignorant or did not take five minutes to absorb its information. First of all, the Brookings Institution is a highly-respected think-tank. Second of all, the study was based on real income growth and emplyment growth, which is a pretty simple but accurate measure of a region's health.

In the last year, Atlanta's income grew .4%, while its employment contracted .9%. That puts us at #189, basically one of the worst in the entire Western world.

Houston came in at #36, with whopping growth of 3.7% in income and 2.4% in employment. Dallas did even better, registering at #19 and clocking an impressive growth of 5.5% and 2.5% in income and employment, respectively.

The alarm bells are ringing for Atlanta. A city that once led recoveries in the U.S. now does not even participate. Long term trends that began before the recession portray Atlanta as a boom city gone bust, and refusing to accept that or blaming it on recession is ignoring the problem.

Which gets me to my next point: the biggest problem facing Atlanta is its perception. Corporations perceive it as a traffic-infested metro, low-lifes perceive it as a hip-hop capital where handouts come easy, and the young creative class percieves it as a sprawling city devoid of culture. Only after each of these is addressed through action (whether it be marketing or infrastructure improvements) will Atlanta's health improve.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:49 AM

8,269 posts, read 10,204,708 times
Cobain hit it EXACTLY!

I also think Atlanta is a city people come to work. When the good work dries up, people with skills either leave for more thriving cities or they return to their home cities. If not, they go places with great draws. What I'm saying is if you are going to be unemplyed or underemployed regardless, few people choose to do that here.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:38 AM

969 posts, read 1,660,584 times
Can someone explain the "draw" of Dallas and Houston?? Why are they not perceived as sprawling and devoid of culture?? And what explains their massive growth? I know Texas is constantly building new infrastructure, but seriously... how are those two cities not considered sprawling, ghetto, country, etc... why is Atlanta singled out? I didn't find Dallas or Houston to be anymore cosmopolitan then Atlanta (and neither had a "vibrant downtown")... in fact, Texas does not seem appealing at all as a place to live (it's just as socially conservative as Georgia, if not more so), but maybe that's just me (and I'm not being an "Atlanta booster" as I know it is not perfect here either... just don't understand how we are worse and what the appeal of Dallas and Houston are).

You can't tell me people don't also come to Dallas and Houston to work, and if the work dried up these people would not move elsewhere...

Old 01-18-2012, 12:02 PM

208 posts, read 354,450 times
I"m so sick and tired of all these "major cities" on lists... Only an ignorant fool only looks at "major cities". There are MANY medium sized cities in America with a MUCH MUCH higher quality of life and percentage of educated workers.

Big cities are all full of the most poverty AND the highest # of UNEDUCATED.

20-somethings and academics only focus on larger cities, but publications like Kiplingers run by people working the real world always look at smaller cities like Charleston which have a higher quality of life than megatropolises anyday.

If you remove all the cities in "metro" Atlanta they are all jokes of cities and can't hold up to most medium sized cities in America. Marietta, Sandy SPrings, Dunwoody, College Park, etc. etc. etc. are all individual laughing stocks of the nation, yet people lump all these losers into the "metro".

Take a bunch of poorly run town/cities and lump them together and you end up with "atlanta" or "dallas". Herd mentality.... Only someone dumb enough to commute 1.5 hours each day would take these studies as meritable . . . . .

Old 01-18-2012, 12:30 PM

4,433 posts, read 4,396,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
This study is not a sham, and saying so reveals that you are either ignorant or did not take five minutes to absorb its information. First of all, the Brookings Institution is a highly-respected think-tank. Second of all, the study was based on real income growth and emplyment growth, which is a pretty simple but accurate measure of a region's health.

In the last year, Atlanta's income grew .4%, while its employment contracted .9%. That puts us at #189, basically one of the worst in the entire Western world.

Houston came in at #36, with whopping growth of 3.7% in income and 2.4% in employment. Dallas did even better, registering at #19 and clocking an impressive growth of 5.5% and 2.5% in income and employment, respectively.

The alarm bells are ringing for Atlanta. A city that once led recoveries in the U.S. now does not even participate. Long term trends that began before the recession portray Atlanta as a boom city gone bust, and refusing to accept that or blaming it on recession is ignoring the problem.

Which gets me to my next point: the biggest problem facing Atlanta is its perception. Corporations perceive it as a traffic-infested metro, low-lifes perceive it as a hip-hop capital where handouts come easy, and the young creative class percieves it as a sprawling city devoid of culture. Only after each of these is addressed through action (whether it be marketing or infrastructure improvements) will Atlanta's health improve.
The monument you said the bold ends the serious of your post. This is more of the things you don't like of Atlanta, You really believe people who are fans of hiphop music and culture aren't as broad as the general public with graduates, young professional "young creative class" and etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Can someone explain the "draw" of Dallas and Houston?? Why are they not perceived as sprawling and devoid of culture?? And what explains their massive growth? I know Texas is constantly building new infrastructure, but seriously... how are those two cities not considered sprawling, ghetto, country, etc... why is Atlanta singled out? I didn't find Dallas or Houston to be anymore cosmopolitan then Atlanta (and neither had a "vibrant downtown")... in fact, Texas does not seem appealing at all as a place to live (it's just as socially conservative as Georgia, if not more so), but maybe that's just me (and I'm not being an "Atlanta booster" as I know it is not perfect here either... just don't understand how we are worse and what the appeal of Dallas and Houston are).

You can't tell me people don't also come to Dallas and Houston to work, and if the work dried up these people would not move elsewhere...
Exactly

I believe the reason they do better, they have less balkanization and they are started to be "viewed" as more progressive places. It's not the city vs the suburbs or the state as much as it is here, this is really hurting Atlanta.

Traffic issues Atlanta traffic is not as bad the media promotes it be, That's one thing leaders need to image wise correct. But never the less were scared that transit tax won't pass that goes back to the balkanization, it just doesn't look good,

The race issue I hear one group screaming that reverse racism crap all the time and another saying If your black and move to Atlanta you have to deal with whites that have resentment that the city is popular to blacks. Again the view of this not a good look. Atlanta has no more or no less racial issues then other parts of country, but if you have people believing that it's hurts Atlanta anyway.

The water issues it's the pass now, but if you look at the timing that's when Atlanta started to slow down.

The crime image thing is like the water issues, except early 90s.

Another thing is the fail promoting of the city, "every day is a opening day" and "city lights and southern nights" WTF. People don't know about Atlanta historic neighborhoods and culture. Atlanta is very Hipster, Yuppy, and quirky but people don't know that. How scenic Atlanta is to most major cities is not promoted and etc.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:43 PM

19 posts, read 24,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post

Those cities are also places where folks come to work. When the work is gone, many of them will be too.

Also, those two aren't a black mecca. If a city, let's say Little Rock made itself known as the Samoan mecca, many people would see that as exclusionary. While there are opps for all kinds of people in ATL, the overwhelming bias is toward blacks. A lot of professional level people have left and aren't coming back.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:48 PM

19 posts, read 24,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post

The alarm bells are ringing for Atlanta.
The alarm went off years ago, but nobody in Atlanta cared to hear a thing. The city of Atlanta is so hungry it's now starting to eat it's metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or