Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 01:56 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
But that become ignorance and taking points though, I understand readyset point.

Ok ATL, is no SF, DC, Chi, Philly, N.O, Boston and NY that's clear. But Atlanta is very underrated in history but yet alot of sun belt cities are.

For instance I remember a GA vs MN thread posters started saying i rather live in a Minneapolis Victorian mansion than a Atlanta McMansion, and started boasting all these negative stuff. Atlanta is nothing but newly McMansion and strip malls. The first thing that pop in my head was Grant and Inman park like huh? ) McMansions them selves are even common in the city limits of Atlanta, if they do exist they are far from the core. Which begs the question why are Sun belt cores, are constantly being base off the suburbs anyways?

Mean while Fulton Country has a little more national resigister historic places than Heinepin county.

National Register of Historical Places - MINNESOTA (MN), Hennepin County

National Register of Historical Places - GEORGIA (GA), Fulton County

As far as Dallas, and Houston of course they have history Houston was a small capital city of a country at one point. But I do fell Atlanta has more of a interesting history than cities though. But I'm not trying to knock them because they are underrated as well. It's bad for the image of any city to view as character less. But I just hate that ignorance is so bliss. Of all things to say "I rather live in a Minneapolis Victorian mansion than a Atlanta McMansion" wow

Atlanta - Google Maps
Thanks for such a level-headed response. I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 12:14 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
For instance I remember a GA vs MN thread posters started saying i rather live in a Minneapolis Victorian mansion than a Atlanta McMansion, and started boasting all these negative stuff. Atlanta is nothing but newly McMansion and strip malls. The first thing that pop in my head was Grant and Inman park like huh? ) McMansions them selves are even common in the city limits of Atlanta, if they do exist they are far from the core. Which begs the question why are Sun belt cores, are constantly being base off the suburbs anyways?

Mean while Fulton Country has a little more national resigister historic places than Heinepin county.

Both appear to have four (4) pages of listings.

It might be difficult to make a meaningful comparison, tho, since Hennepin county is larger than Fulton but only contains one of the two core cities in the Twin Cities ... St. Paul (i.e., Ramsey County) should also be included if you want to compare the actual urban areas, but the end result is much larger than Fulton. Maybe compare those two against Cobb, Fulton, and Dekalb?

Old 01-22-2012, 06:35 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Both appear to have four (4) pages of listings.

It might be difficult to make a meaningful comparison, tho, since Hennepin county is larger than Fulton but only contains one of the two core cities in the Twin Cities ... St. Paul (i.e., Ramsey County) should also be included if you want to compare the actual urban areas, but the end result is much larger than Fulton. Maybe compare those two against Cobb, Fulton, and Dekalb?
Fulton clearly has more on the 4th page, and by Fulton being smaller goes along even more with what I'm saying. That's why I said mean while Fulton Country has a little more national resigister historic places than Heinepin county. Minneapolis is multi core with st paul but I didn't use the whole twin cities core like I didn't include Atlanta's 4 other core counties. But you can flip it to Ramsey County (St Paul). My point wasn't so much that Fulton has more but they are in the same range, when ignorance is bliss and talking points are loud, about how Atlanta is so plastic, no heritage and little character. When in reality it's comparable to Minneapolis.

Minnesota vs. Georgia

It's the strange thing to read comments like these, They really believe the city of Atlanta is in lack of history and character. "new money"
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideMKE View Post
Atlanta is king of tacky over-sized mansions. I'd much rather live in one of these classy Victorian gems located in St. Paul's Summit Hill neighborhood.
Inman Park, Grant Park, Historic Midtown and etc?
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
No one said old houses don't exist in Atlanta. But they are definitely overshadowed by the, yes, tacky, gaudy, and overpriced castles you see in Buckhead. Us Midwesterners would rather live in a quaint Victorian, instead of a golden palace. Its just a matter of taste.

And in general there is a lot of 'old money' in the Cities, meaning older, grand 'mansions.'*

Point is: I'd rather live in St. Paul than in a 15 bedroom house in Atlanta.

* People have different views on what a mansion is.
Which is funny because Buckhead contains several national historic district's itself. And most of Buckhead homes were constructed before the 50s.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:17 AM

369 posts, read 657,257 times
Quote:
But that become ignorance and taking points though, I understand readyset point.

Ok ATL, is no SF, DC, Chi, Philly, N.O, Boston and NY that's clear. But Atlanta is very underrated in history but yet alot of sun belt cities are.

As far as Dallas, and Houston of course they have history Houston was a small capital city of a country at one point. But I do fell Atlanta has more of a interesting history than cities though. But I'm not trying to knock them because they are underrated as well. It's bad for the image of any city to view as character less. But I just hate that ignorance is so bliss. Of all things to say "I rather live in a Minneapolis Victorian mansion than a Atlanta McMansion" wow

Atlanta - Google Maps
Thanks for reinforcing what I said while using logic and common sense. You actually know what you're talking about unlike some other people.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:35 PM

187 posts, read 403,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
I can't help but look at some of these older neighborhoods in Atlanta and think of them as diamonds in the rough, these areas really have character and would be great mixed use districts, especially the ones with a MARTA station. It looks like the city has been trying to revitalize some of these areas cause I can see new construction in some.

There really are a lot of historic blocks in Atlanta with structures that could make some great neighborhoods if those buildings are kept and rehabilitated, along with some new mixed use development.

All the places that people rave about in D.C. and what "young professionals want" (U street, Adams Morgan, H street) can be found in Atlanta as well, at least structurally and the buildings are larger in ATL, the difference is in D.C. they are anchored by metro stations or in the case of H street corridor a coming street car, which Atlanta is constructing too in a much more important area.

It would be great if these areas could be tied in together better with continuous development , although it's hard getting past rail lines and highways which cause physical barriers.
Edgewood Ave is Atlanta's H Street, and a streetcat is being constructed there!

Old 01-22-2012, 08:34 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
Thanks for reinforcing what I said while using logic and common sense. You actually know what you're talking about unlike some other people.
In town and around Atlanta is full of overlook historic neighborhoods, Atlanta is often look upon as not having an identity I would argue that people miss the character of Atlanta neighborhoods by looking for something Atlanta is not. And it doesn't help that people know more about Atlanta exurbs that city. The city heritage is not promoted well this is why people don't know anything about Atlanta.

Midtown Local Historic District

Sweet Auburn Avenue: The Buildings Tell Their Story

History of Inman Park (http://www.inmanpark.org/flyer.html - broken link)

A Brief Overview Of Grant Park's History | Grant Park - Atlanta

Virginia-Highland Civic Association - History of VHCA (http://www.vahi.org/inside/history.html - broken link)

Ansley Park (http://www.bobridgeportatlanta.com/Atlanta/AnsleyPark.aspx - broken link)

Fairlie-Poplar Historic District

West End Atlanta Historic District - West End History (http://atlantawestend.com/myjoomla/content/view/5/66/ - broken link)

Brookwood Hills - The History of Brookwood Hills

Cabbagetown District--Atlanta: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary

Brookhaven Historic District--Atlanta: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary

Garden Hills Historic District--Atlanta: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary

Castleberry Hill History

Kirkwood Neighbors' Organization (KNO) :: Kirkwood Neighborhood, Atlanta, GA

and etc.

When I first join this fourms there was this poster who kept saying Atlanta is generic. So I guess this made me to start really looking at Atlanta history and culture and contrast it with other cities, especially the ones in the south. Old rail town, major city by chance with no ambition to be by founders, numerous civil war battle sites, No gride, Narrow streets, enormous street car lay out, majority pre World war II neighborhoods, completely green and hilly, civil rights history, growing entertainment center and etc. Trust me Atlanta is only Atlanta..

Old 01-22-2012, 09:58 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Fulton clearly has more on the 4th page, and by Fulton being smaller goes along even more with what I'm saying. That's why I said mean while Fulton Country has a little more national resigister historic places than Heinepin county. Minneapolis is multi core with st paul but I didn't use the whole twin cities core like I didn't include Atlanta's 4 other core counties. But you can flip it to Ramsey County (St Paul). My point wasn't so much that Fulton has more but they are in the same range, when ignorance is bliss and talking points are loud, about how Atlanta is so plastic, no heritage and little character. When in reality it's comparable to Minneapolis.
Yes, it most certainly is. I'm a Twin Cities native who has lived here for a while, but I know better than to call Atlanta a city with no heritage.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:57 AM

369 posts, read 657,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
Edgewood Ave is Atlanta's H Street, and a streetcat is being constructed there!
YOU ARE CORRECT! Very similar and the good thing about Edgewood Ave is that going east leads to a much nicer neighborhood. Inman Park! The area really has a lot of potential. I really hope developers don't knock down the beautiful historic structures but revitalize then and connect them by building on the empty lots.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:52 PM

177 posts, read 266,948 times
san antonio has more history and older building than atl after all it was the first city and capitol of texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta