Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 13,213 times

Advertisements

i read the thread on clayton county and no one said anything about it?? i know it pretty close to fayetteville but, i am relocating from NY and my husband and i used to live in FL but, we have been thing GA but, i dont know anyone that lives there so, i found this site and thought i would ask!! we have to young kids (ages 2 & 3) we just want a quite town where you can commute if you have to for work with descent schools! i know every place has it's pros and cons! just looking for a place with a few more pros the cons please anything would help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 13,213 times
Never gonna happen i am a southern girl through and through. i hate the cold and the snow... so, south is where i wanna be. and i didnt hate florida. i moved due to some unfortunate circum stasis i HATE new york and i Hate the north and all the rude people here! sorry i dont want to offend anyone but,i really dont like it here!

Old 09-04-2007, 01:23 PM

10 posts, read 59,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mama2127 View Post
i read the thread on clayton county and no one said anything about it?? i know it pretty close to fayetteville but, i am relocating from NY and my husband and i used to live in FL but, we have been thing GA but, i dont know anyone that lives there so, i found this site and thought i would ask!! we have to young kids (ages 2 & 3) we just want a quite town where you can commute if you have to for work with descent schools! i know every place has it's pros and cons! just looking for a place with a few more pros the cons please anything would help!
........cheap land, cheap homes, big time crime and gang problems, topped off by a sheriff who is completely clueless about how to keep his county safe.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Clayton has its share of problems right now, and it's hard to tell which way it'll go in the coming years. The current Sheriff is this little guy (something like 5ft 1in) who has that "I'm short so I'm gonna show my a*s*s* a lot", syndrome. It's sad to follow up on the stories coming out of that country regarding law enforcement. Immediately upon taking office, he fired most of the white Deputy Sheriffs with a few others. A Judge forced him to rehire them, and later he tried to refire them again. To this day there is enough tension between him and many in his staff that it's amazing they can actually get out to protect people.

Aside from the political/law enforcement termoil there, as others have mentioned, there is a growing gang problem in Clayton. Not in every corner of course, but in a lot of places that were once nice only a few years ago. If you go further south however, you can get to the Peachtree City and Fayetteville areas, which are much nicer with good school systems.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:31 PM

481 posts, read 2,821,424 times
Riverdale is quite possibly the worst place to move to if you have small children and want a quiet life with good schools and an easy commute. The schools are probably the worst in the entire state and among the worst in the country, and chances are you will be robbed fairly regularly. On the bright side, it has the cheapest house prices imaginable, mostly because everyone is desperate to sell their houses and no one is desperate enough to buy them.

If you go about 10 miles or so farther south you would come to place called Fayetteville which is much, much nicer and safer. Fayetteville's your average suburb with average schools, the commute isn't terrible, and you won't have to live in fear of your house getting broken into.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:10 PM

6 posts, read 40,539 times
Default Riverdale

Riverdale is on the Move! The City has a wonderful responsible staff. I love it here! I have been here all my life. Yes, there has been a transition; however, it was necessary. The area is more diverse and the city is looking to do some wonderful projects in terms of economic development. So if you want to be in a premier location; Riverdale is it! Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mama2127 View Post

Old 04-18-2008, 01:19 PM

Thumbs up Riverdale is on the Move!

Riverdale is on the move. Clayton County is on the move. You always hear the good things about Peachtree City and Fayette, but you know what? Clayton has a lot to offer. There will be politics everywhere and the Sheriff does an outstanding job no matter what his personality may be. You mentioned all the negatives, but you forgot to mention that OLiver Elem. competed against 3500 high school, middle and elementary students and won 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. You forgot to mention that Riverdale High School has an excellent Technology Program that is recognized nationally. You forgot to mention that while ATL and the rest of Georgia failed to plan, Clayton County Water reserves continued to remain at 80%. We have great children here. Our schools do a great job. It's people who post these bad messages who make it bad for us. Did you mention the gangs in Cobb and Gwinett County? Clayton is a wonderful place to live. We are growing everyday and we need good people to relocate here. People who will play a positive role and help to move the city toward positive change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Clayton has its share of problems right now, and it's hard to tell which way it'll go in the coming years. The current Sheriff is this little guy (something like 5ft 1in) who has that "I'm short so I'm gonna show my a*s*s* a lot", syndrome. It's sad to follow up on the stories coming out of that country regarding law enforcement. Immediately upon taking office, he fired most of the white Deputy Sheriffs with a few others. A Judge forced him to rehire them, and later he tried to refire them again. To this day there is enough tension between him and many in his staff that it's amazing they can actually get out to protect people.

Aside from the political/law enforcement termoil there, as others have mentioned, there is a growing gang problem in Clayton. Not in every corner of course, but in a lot of places that were once nice only a few years ago. If you go further south however, you can get to the Peachtree City and Fayetteville areas, which are much nicer with good school systems.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:30 PM

Thumbs up Stop with the bad information

Riverdale is cleaning shop! Yes, there was a transition, but what place does not go through a transition period? Gemme a break, Riverdale students are great! The schools do well and the commute is great. Logon to our school websites and check it out for yourself. Some of our schools have been recognized nationally for their outstanding work. Also check out the city's website at [url=http://www.riverdalega.gov]Riverdale, GA - Official Website[/url] They are doing an LCI project which is going to be great for the economy! Just wait, you'll see. By the way, stop spreading poison. We need help with getting the positive stories out. Everything else is causing our economy to suffer locally. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
Riverdale is quite possibly the worst place to move to if you have small children and want a quiet life with good schools and an easy commute. The schools are probably the worst in the entire state and among the worst in the country, and chances are you will be robbed fairly regularly. On the bright side, it has the cheapest house prices imaginable, mostly because everyone is desperate to sell their houses and no one is desperate enough to buy them.

If you go about 10 miles or so farther south you would come to place called Fayetteville which is much, much nicer and safer. Fayetteville's your average suburb with average schools, the commute isn't terrible, and you won't have to live in fear of your house getting broken into.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:27 PM

397 posts, read 842,979 times
As far as schools are concerned GreatSchools.net doen not rank a single school in the Riverdale area (vs. other GA schools) above a 5 out of 10. Check it our for yourself and take it for what it is worth.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:56 PM

30 posts, read 95,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale On the Move View Post
Riverdale is cleaning shop! Yes, there was a transition, but what place does not go through a transition period? Gemme a break, Riverdale students are great! The schools do well and the commute is great. Logon to our school websites and check it out for yourself. Some of our schools have been recognized nationally for their outstanding work. Also check out the city's website at Riverdale, GA - Official Website They are doing an LCI project which is going to be great for the economy! Just wait, you'll see. By the way, stop spreading poison. We need help with getting the positive stories out. Everything else is causing our economy to suffer locally. Thanks.
Who are you and where did your brain go? This Riverdale/Clayton county boosterism is surely a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta