Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 11:11 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,313,530 times

Advertisements

Anyone that leaves a laptop in the car in the middle of the big city is a bit daft, I think. It is common knowledge that this type of thing is very common - think about it. Theives tend to gravitate to where the money is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 12:31 PM

387 posts, read 1,590,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Anyone that leaves a laptop in the car in the middle of the big city is a bit daft, I think. It is common knowledge that this type of thing is very common - think about it. Theives tend to gravitate to where the money is.

First, I was catching a flight right after dinner, my laptop needed to be with me, as did my luggage. Second, it was stuffed under the back seat, so please spare me.

The cop basically said - welcome to Atlanta - home of car break ins.

Sure it could and does happen everywhere. Sure it's non-violent. But it happened here, in the affluent "safe" neighborhood. Just retracting my statement a few days ago about never being the victim of crime here.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:15 PM

525 posts, read 1,848,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
First, I was catching a flight right after dinner, my laptop needed to be with me, as did my luggage. Second, it was stuffed under the back seat, so please spare me.

The cop basically said - welcome to Atlanta - home of car break ins.

Sure it could and does happen everywhere. Sure it's non-violent. But it happened here, in the affluent "safe" neighborhood. Just retracting my statement a few days ago about never being the victim of crime here.
Someone was probably scoping you and noticed the luggage and possibly the laptop as you were putting it away. This happens in major cities and even good areas. It is no surprise that there is property crime and/or car break ins a wealthy area.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:11 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,145,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
A suggestion would be to bring it with you into the restaurant. Better to be slightly inconvenienced by lugging it than having it stolen. Personally, I never leave anything in my car, even at home. If it's not there, it can't be stolen.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:15 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,755,231 times
in Montreal, I had a desktop computer stolen from my car in 2001, and interestingly they left the laptop which was sitting there right next to the desktop . Yet they took the desktop's keyboard . Perhaps they didn't realize what the laptop was
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta