U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:57 AM

714 posts, read 652,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Yes, you can technically take a vacation "whenever you want" but in my experience that's pretty rare, since there's no income when you're not working.

In my opinion it's a myth that the small business owner is keeping a higher portion of the money than the employees. It's often just the opposite -- it's your duty to make sure everyone else is taken care of first, and if there's something left over, then you get paid. However, many times there isn't anything left over, so you don't get paid. You may have to come out of pocket just to keep the business going. That can sometimes go on for a long time when business is tough.
Not every independent business works like this. There are business models that involve more ongoing/steady income streams rather than hourly or project specific work. They effectively allow "paid vacations".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 03:44 PM

29,275 posts, read 26,215,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Is it the customer base perhaps? Maybe it's a matter of marketing your business to another type of customer, or maybe approach your transportation/agricultural-type from another standpoint.

Also, why not get employed with a larger company that do what you do, but on a larger scale? It's always good to see how other similar businesses are doing in order to gain some perspective.

Georgia State University and the University of Georgia are in a network called the Small Business Development Center. They have business consultants on staff.

Finally, maybe you need some low cost consulting to see if there is a change you need to make in your business...or if it is even the right business to be in in the first place.
Snake, those are all great suggestions and I thank you. I have often thought I'd like to work for a company or the government but I just don't think it was in the cards for me. No real education, etc.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:47 PM

29,275 posts, read 26,215,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Not every independent business works like this. There are business models that involve more ongoing/steady income streams rather than hourly or project specific work. They effectively allow "paid vacations".
That's a good point. I just me couldn't figure out how to do it!

FromGA, thanks for the good wishes.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:07 PM

3,515 posts, read 4,250,689 times
I think you are selling yourself short.

As much as you post on here and in gauging breadth of the reponses you post on various threads, I find it hard to believe that you can't negotiate yourself into a lucrative opportunity outside of your current career status.

Part of your business deals with Agriculture, right? Are there not many major businesses that deal with Agriculture here in Georgia? How about the Georgia Department of Agriculture? There must be a representative there that you can network with about some potential opportunities.

Having an education is all well and fine, but in the end technical expertise and having the ability to cultivate close friendships & professional relationships mean a lot here in the south. It's what some would call the "Good ol' boy" system. Once you are in the system you are taken care of.

You gotta have an open mind to the opportunities, big guy.

Quote:
Snake, those are all great suggestions and I thank you. I have often thought I'd like to work for a company or the government but I just don't think it was in the cards for me. No real education, etc.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:56 PM

1,209 posts, read 3,500,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

Part of your business deals with Agriculture, right? Are there not many major businesses that deal with Agriculture here in Georgia? How about the Georgia Department of Agriculture? There must be a representative there that you can network with about some potential opportunities.

Farming / agriculture = noblest of professions, IMO. Why not suggest he expand this line of work? I hope he is able to increase his profitability in this line of work.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:20 PM

33 posts, read 119,585 times
Well, she's been gone for over a month now! I'm done with CBS Atlanta. She was my only eye-candy.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:53 PM

5,207 posts, read 6,184,164 times
Quote:
That's unbelievable. I've never had a job with paid vacation. For us self-employed types, you don't work, you don't get paid.
No doubt.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:12 PM

5,207 posts, read 6,184,164 times
Markina Brown joined CBS Atlanta News in October 2010 as the primary meteorologist for the 4,5,6, and 11 p.m. newscasts. Markina joined CBS Atlanta from KTLA in Los Angeles, where she was the primary evening meteorologist.

Markina has been an on-air meteorologist for more than 13 years and has worked in the St. Louis, Cleveland, and Chicago markets. She began her career as a meteorologist and reporter at WLNS-TV in Lansing, Michigan.

A Detroit native, she earned her bachelor's degree in both Broadcast Journalism and Political Science from Central Michigan University. She went on to earn her degree in Geosciences with a concentration in Meteorology from Mississippi State University.

Markina holds the Broadcast Seal of Approval from the American Meteorological Society and the National Weather Association. She is also a member of the National Association of Black Journalists, National Council of Negro Women, and the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. In her spare time, Markina enjoys shopping, working out, and watching movies.
You can email Markina at markina.brown@cbsatlanta.com.

Very interesting. She GOT them Degrees!

Old 02-02-2012, 06:20 PM

455 posts, read 1,003,188 times
Hi everyone! It's been so nice hearing from all of you. I WILL be back on CBS Atlanta soon...& yes, I promise! MB... Hi everyone! It's... | Facebook
2 hours ago via Facebook

This was on her twitter. No worries gentlemen!!

Old 02-02-2012, 06:42 PM

33 posts, read 119,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
Hi everyone! It's been so nice hearing from all of you. I WILL be back on CBS Atlanta soon...& yes, I promise! MB... Hi everyone! It's... | Facebook
2 hours ago via Facebook

This was on her twitter. No worries gentlemen!!
Gentlemen? I'm not a dude...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or