U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:31 PM

3,129 posts, read 5,154,681 times

Advertisements

Atlanta Public Schools spending $74 million to build 383,000-square-foot high school on Northside Parkway | Atlanta Restaurant and Retail Openings & Closings | What Now Atlanta

A lot of taxpayer money no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 09:04 PM

12,948 posts, read 21,050,130 times
I hate this location for the relocated, new North Atlanta High School.

It should be built on the Colonial Homes site--or on vacant property near Lindbergh Center.

It should then be re-named Buckhead High School.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:27 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,311,487 times
I also think it is a bad location. I wonder what APS high school is the best all around? I live in North Atlanta High distric but use private school. 74 million is a lot of money but schools are extremely expensive.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:42 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,155,216 times
A little less than $200/sf- not out of the ordinary for a high school. I can't say if there's a need for a new 383,000sf high school in Atlanta, but if there is, the price isn't out of line.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:02 AM

22,209 posts, read 16,238,370 times
APS should shift the kids from the crowded schools to other schools that have the room. APS needs to learn how to use existing resources before building a new high school for the northside. Many high schools in south Atlanta are below capacity. Mary Lin should be a feeder for Coan Middle, instead of expanding Inman middle.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:34 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,155,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
APS should shift the kids from the crowded schools to other schools that have the room. APS needs to learn how to use existing resources before building a new high school for the northside. Many high schools in south Atlanta are below capacity. Mary Lin should be a feeder for Coan Middle, instead of expanding Inman middle.
Ahhh...but then you get back to the age-old problem of mixing and matching kids from different areas- the parents in the well-performing schools don't like it when their kids are sent to schools that aren't performing as well just because "there's plenty of room there". I've seen tons of posts here about how Mary Lin is becoming a great school due to all the parental involvement, and how Inman and Grady are improving as more kids move up from Mary Lin. If you start moving kids out of that current cluster, you'll raise holy hell.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:29 AM

747 posts, read 1,267,604 times
Does anyone know exactly where the new "Midtown Middle" is proposed to be built? I've read that it's actually in southeast Buckhead, but I can't find the exact location.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
Does anyone know exactly where the new "Midtown Middle" is proposed to be built? I've read that it's actually in southeast Buckhead, but I can't find the exact location.

Yes, I think it is proposed to be built in the Lindbergh area.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:32 AM

For those participating on this thread, here is some helpful information:

Demographic Study / Overview (especially take a look at "Option Maps")

APS school chief: Attempt to assign students to schools closest to their homes | Get Schooled

Old 01-24-2012, 01:43 PM

668 posts, read 788,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It's not that simple. Inman has limited capacity for expansion, and although many parents have been talking about it, I don't believe expansion was proposed for the school. Instead, the new inaccurately "Midtown Middle School" would be built somewhere north of the 75/85 split (they don't have an exact location yet, but if you look at the maps Aries linked to, you can see where they approximate it would be). Morningside families have expectedly raised a ruckus over this, as it takes them out of Inman, but it addresses overcrowding not only at Inman but also Sutton.

As far as going to Coan/Jackson, the demographers were clearly looking at consolidating existing schools in the area, and Coan and Jackson would be absorbing students. So while many parents outside of the Mary Lin district think the problems would be solved if we just went south of DeKalb, it actually just shifts us from one overutilized school to another.

Edited to include that Midtown Middle and the North Atlanta construction costs were included as part of last year's TSPLOST. The funds for these buildings would not be from additional taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or