Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 04:03 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,685,010 times

Advertisements

I doubt, most people even care that Atlanta is considered a so called black mecca.

Yet again, most of the time, the issue about black mecca comes up with comparisons between Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, NYC and the DMV. The crap from City vs City that leaks over into this forum.

We get it. Don't brag about too many blacks folks in the Atlanta metro.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:04 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,733,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
I'm just being honest, most people aren't very fond of hanging in predominately "black" areas--- we have alot of problems internal to our community that are highly publicized, this steers others away from wanting to be a part of that.
Elaborate.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:09 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,264,606 times
Just1fan,

Crime, drugs, illegitimacy among others. Notice: I said "highly publicized" meaning there is a certain image poeple get when they hear "black people" or "black city", this is not to say other races do not have problems, ours are just publicized(or have been) alot more.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:17 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,733,381 times
People of various nationalities can go back to their homeland, to study their culture. English people go to England, Irish people go to Ireland, Japanese people go to Japan, and so on, and so forth. But, most African American people all go to the same place. I'm sorry folks, but Atlanta is not the motherland.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:30 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,685,010 times
Quote:
Just1fan,

Crime, drugs, illegitimacy among others. Notice: I said "highly publicized" meaning there is a certain image poeple get when they hear "black people" or "black city", this is not to say other races do not have problems, ours are just publicized(or have been) alot more.
And?

New negro syndrome...

Old 01-27-2012, 04:46 PM

32,003 posts, read 36,632,624 times
Quote:
I'm not familiar with the Norwood incident?
In Atlanta's last mayoral election, Mary Norwood (who is white) appeared to be the front runner. In response, the Black Leadership Forum issued an urgent memo arguing that it was critical for black voters to unite behind a black candidate in order to prevent a white candidate from being elected. The memo pushed a "Black Mayor first" approach, which included the "...assumption that having a black mayor in Atlanta is equal to having a black social, economic and political agenda." The memo went on to warn that factors such as the imperiled state of the Jackson Machine, the loss of 100,000 black residents in the city and the rapid growth of the city's white population put the black agenda at risk.

In the general election Norwood took 47% of the vote, followed by Kasim Reed with 37% and former city council president Lisa Borders at 14%. However, since no one broke 50% a runoff was required and ultimately Reed won, though the margin of victory was very tight (less than 1 percent).

The memo about to shake the Atlanta mayor's race | Political Insider

Old 01-27-2012, 05:08 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,662,632 times
Quote:
I like that. I'm not trying to censor posters, but in advertising the person selling the product knows their audience from well-studied surveys, predispositions, etc. the situation is different here.The number of black people aren't too high on these particular threads, so why advertise this as a hooking point? it has nothing to do with marketing. My point is this preference among the minority of users on the board and in real life america shouldn't be used as if it would appeal to the broader base.

I'd be ok if we opened a discussion on black success in Atlanta in which all races participated, but in threads that are about the whole of the city it just doesn't work. There too much going for Atlanta to localize it on something like race.
I certainly do not think that black folks on this forum are trying to reach the white audience when they talk about Atlanta being the black mecca. Regardless of how few blacks participate in the forum. Blacks are only 13% of the US population. Thus, should our particular interest be totally ignored because we are a small percentage? In fact, I think that is called the tyranny of the majority, when minority interest are suppressed.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:16 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,662,632 times
Quote:
I will sum it up this way: International cites do not do this. NY is not known for focusing on the success of one particular race. How would this attract big business, different races, yadda yadda(seinfeld reference). It just doesn't work. When you "compete" on the boards you want to be considerate to the mass of readership, if you are too inward and say things that only matter to some people you are going to lose. This is why many people bash Atlanta on this board.We have to highlight the more universal aspects of the city.
If you talk about the universal qualities of the city......then you might as well not talk because that would be making a distinction without a difference. Universal means that every city has it. If every city has it....how is that a selling point? I am really confused by this line of reasoning. This forum is a free market of ideas and thoughts. If people are not interested in what is being supplied, then the thread will die. I do not see any reason why people feel the need to restrict content.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:21 PM

402 posts, read 702,096 times
As a non-black, longtime resident of Atlanta, I greatly resent the term "Black Mecca" and hope it quickly goes away.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,017,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachcity View Post
I don't care what the original use of "thug" or " ghetto" but how it is used now to insult and stereotype blacks. I wouldn't go around calling blacks "ghetto" or "thugs" either in public if I were you, even as a black person using it it is offensive to many of us.
Don't many blacks refer to themselves as "thugs"...?

The term originally comes from the Thuggee cult in India, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta