U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2012, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
894 posts, read 655,494 times
Reputation: 577

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I' have been frequenting this forum for about 5 months and I've noticed that Atlanta posters love to brag about being the black mecca. Now this may be true, but why is it so important to bring it up every other post? Atlanta has a lot more going for it. I'm black and i would never think of using this "black mecca" argument to boost a city.

Black people make up 13% of the overall population. I'm sure the other 87% percent could care less that Atlanta is a black mecca, what does this offer the other 87%? this isn't very appealing to many people and I think black Atlantans may be a bit blind to this fact because they are so proud of our accomplishments, there is no simply "wow" factor here.

I've lived in Atlanta and will be back down there in a month or two. I think we need to establish character(for example seattle is very white, but they are "known" for open-mindedness and indie music) and boast about that, simply saying we are the black mecca will probably drive more people away from atlanta rather than brinng them in. I'm just being honest, most people aren't very fond of hanging in predominately "black" areas--- we have alot of problems internal to our community that are highly publicized, this steers others away from wanting to be a part of that.

My question: What are Atlanta posters trying to accomplish with this black mecca point?

Maybe it is obvious and i just have John McWhorter-ism.

 
Old 01-26-2012, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,046 posts, read 4,477,629 times
Reputation: 2146
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Hello everyone,

I' have been frequenting this forum for about 5 months and I've noticed that Atlanta posters love to brag about being the black mecca. Now this may be true, but why is it so important to bring it up every other post? Atlanta has a lot more going for it. I'm black and i would never think of using this "black mecca" argument to boost a city.

Black people make up 13% of the overall population. I'm sure the other 87% percent could care less that Atlanta is a black mecca, what does this offer the other 87%? this isn't very appealing to many people and I think black Atlantans may be a bit blind to this fact because they are so proud of our accomplishments, there is no simply "wow" factor here.

I've lived in Atlanta and will be back down there in a month or two. I think we need to establish character(for example seattle is very white, but they are "known" for open-mindedness and indie music) and boast about that, simply saying we are the black mecca will probably drive more people away from atlanta rather than brinng them in. I'm just being honest, most people aren't very fond of hanging in predominately "black" areas--- we have alot of problems internal to our community that are highly publicized, this steers others away from wanting to be a part of that.

My question: What are Atlanta posters trying to accomplish with this black mecca point?

Maybe it is obvious and i just have John McWhorter-ism.
I said this same thing for years, but since I'm white I'm just racist!
I really wish Atlanta would develop more of a "all is embraced" mentality for boosting it's city. When Mary Norwood ran for mayor you wouldn't believe the things I heard people saying. It was time for me to move on.
 
Old 01-26-2012, 06:18 PM
 
Location: ATL
4,688 posts, read 6,747,326 times
Reputation: 1804
You talking about the same lady that wanted to stop all the construction of high rise towers because they would block views?

Atlanta>>>>>>> Dallas
 
Old 01-26-2012, 07:56 PM
 
14,211 posts, read 22,743,513 times
Reputation: 4992
[url=http://abagond.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/rented-negroes/]Rented Negroes « Abagond[/url]
 
Old 01-26-2012, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
894 posts, read 655,494 times
Reputation: 577
Well, if that is all you said, i see nothing wrong. It is true that the "black mecca" point is pretty silly. I think we do ourselves a disservice to preface any title with "black". Black is just a skin color. Black "people" in Atlanta are varied personality-wise, which is a good thing, i think. calling Atlanta black isn't telling us anything. As black people we have to get past this seperatist mindset. It is cool to respect and enjoy the tradition passed down from our elders, but to uncritically become a slave to "black tradition" and lose the whole of our human identity in black(whatever that is) will not benefit us. I may be a bit off topic, but i find the black mecca argument to be superficial.
 
Old 01-26-2012, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
894 posts, read 655,494 times
Reputation: 577
Aires,

I am not rented. I try to be thoughtful and honest. Of course, if i don't think like super liberal and millitant, then i am selling out. Way to promote black thought and freedom.
 
Old 01-26-2012, 08:18 PM
 
183 posts, read 150,780 times
Reputation: 101
What post have Atlanta posters used the term "black mecca" in the last 5 months.
 
Old 01-26-2012, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
894 posts, read 655,494 times
Reputation: 577
I can not really pinpoint the posts. In most "Atlanta vs" threads this gets mentioned.
 
Old 01-26-2012, 08:28 PM
 
3,453 posts, read 3,199,725 times
Reputation: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I said this same thing for years, but since I'm white I'm just racist!
I really wish Atlanta would develop more of a "all is embraced" mentality for boosting it's city. When Mary Norwood ran for mayor you wouldn't believe the things I heard people saying. It was time for me to move on.
Its your delivery sweetheart.
 
Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Atlanta - Midtown
748 posts, read 697,355 times
Reputation: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachcity View Post
What post have Atlanta posters used the term "black mecca" in the last 5 months.
Are you kidding me? What about the whole black hollywood thing? With the amount of maintstream films and shows produced here, somehow it's always about Atlanta being "black hollywood". I'm with meep - Atlanta needs to be represented as a great place for all races and backgrounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top