Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 02:51 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct36 View Post
I hope that Lenox is trying to do that now. I suppose they could have shoppes all the way up to Peachtree and then have spaces in between stores for the vehicle traffic to go. The only problem with that is that it would become pretty congested. Maybe they could block it off and have a new entrance to the left of it somehow.
I wish Perimeter would do the same. The area around there is becoming too dense to just have an enormous parking sea, especially since half of it doesn't even get used anymore since they built the garage next to the MARTA station. Hopefully they'll build something there when things start picking up again. It must be pretty valuable land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 02:55 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
I wish Perimeter would do the same. The area around there is becoming too dense to just have an enormous parking sea, especially since half of it doesn't even get used anymore since they built the garage next to the MARTA station. Hopefully they'll build something there when things start picking up again. It must be pretty valuable land.
When it becomes valuable enough...they will.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:56 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Indoor malls are great.

However, my main objection is that most of them were built in the era when the style was to set them way back from the street in a sea of asphalt.

If they were pulled up to the street and had their parking in decks and/or underground, that would be a huge improvement. I believe Lenox and Phipps are moving in that direction, and hopefully other malls will do the same.
I haven't noticed anything like that yet. What's been done so far?

Old 01-29-2012, 03:10 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,819 times
I dint care either way as long as I get what I'm looking for.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:12 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I haven't noticed anything like that yet. What's been done so far?
I assumed he meant this.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:24 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
That won't do anything to eliminate the sea of asphalt the mall sits behind. It sounds like it just means there will be stores accessible from the outside instead of having to go into the mall first, but the actual structure is to remain where it has always been....behind the parking lot.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:20 PM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
That won't do anything to eliminate the sea of asphalt the mall sits behind. It sounds like it just means there will be stores accessible from the outside instead of having to go into the mall first, but the actual structure is to remain where it has always been....behind the parking lot.
Well, at least the sea of asphalt is a lot smaller than it used to be. You have to wonder what's in store for the two lots that front on Peachtree. That's gotta be some of the most valuable real estate in the city.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:27 PM

341 posts, read 761,853 times
Lenox definitely needs more parking. On just about any Saturday night it takes 20 minutes to find a space, and the only ones are available are at the back near Bloomingdale's, which is really annoying because I almost always shop near Macy's/center court area most of the time. I still think they should just tear down the food court and build something nicer with some nicer but still kind of cheap sit down restaurants such as Chili's, Pei Wei, etc, but still having the traditional Chick-fil-A, etc.. I think that would do well in the mall considering how many people go there. Maybe more people would consider eating in the food court then, since I know that there are people who avoid it for it's disgusting looks. I have even heard a few people say that it looks like a food court in a mall in a third world country, which it probably does. I doubt many third world countries actually have malls, however.

edit: I made a plan and this is exactly how I hope it ends up. All stores would have entrances from the front and back if possible.

The middle part would only be sidewalk and you would not be able to drive through. It would connect to a sidewalk on the side of Peachtree. Hopefully this will make people walk around Buckhead more so that way people will be more used to other people walking around and such.

Last edited by ct36; 01-29-2012 at 08:48 PM..

Old 01-30-2012, 12:16 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
i hated what they did to the 'plaza' section of lenox, where you can see all the way to the first floor. there was some really cool modern design there, a lot of curved surfaces, and the wall with mirrors all over it near the ceiling that made it look so big, and the third floor had sort of a "street" feel to it, with the shops all coming out into the walkway, that made it feel less like a mall. their improvements? flatten all the curved surfaces, remove the mirrors and press the shops back into a plain row. boo.
before (winner of the 1980 engineering excellence award):
http://www.nannis.com/images/award_lenoxsquare.jpg (broken link)
08_Lenox_Square_1986_2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28235843@N00/670689129/ - broken link)
07_Lenox_Square_1986_1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28235843@N00/671546904/ - broken link)

after:

Old 01-30-2012, 10:36 AM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct36 View Post
edit: I made a plan and this is exactly how I hope it ends up. All stores would have entrances from the front and back if possible.

The middle part would only be sidewalk and you would not be able to drive through. It would connect to a sidewalk on the side of Peachtree. Hopefully this will make people walk around Buckhead more so that way people will be more used to other people walking around and such.
Lenox is in SPI-12 so any new developments will have to comply with that. Buildings will have to have a pedestrian facade on major streets and meet a number of other more urban criteria.

It seems to me they'd want to go with at least midrise structures in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta