U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-30-2012, 03:34 PM

19 posts, read 16,674 times

Advertisements

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I do agree, Pittsburgh has some great cultural amenities, but so does Atlanta. Again, the weather isnít an issue for me. My thoughts are Pittsburgh is on the upswing. The fallout that occurred after the steel industry left obviously hurt Pittsburgh. Now with technology, healthcare, and energy being players in the area it seems like there is a lot of potential. Also, I feel Pittsburgh is making a genuine effort to market itself and improve its image. I always see articles about being ďmost livableĒ and a good place to live.

What Iíve gathered from the forum is that white collar professionals with higher incomes and options arenít flocking to Atlanta. Iíve read in other posts that Atlantaís recent growth has been in lower paying service and retail jobs. There have also been several posts about how to market Atlanta and what defines Atlanta. It seems like there is no real direction or identity for the city.

Finally, to the person that said there is no diversity in Pittsburgh, I agree. Pittsburgh is pretty much black and white (majority white). However, I read the Pittsburgh, Atlanta, and many other city forums. Of all the forums, the Atlanta one has the most tension regarding racial issues. Not trying to start a fire here but itís just what Iíve observed. I could care less about race, but there are noticeably more threads about race issues in Atlanta compared to all the forums I follow which is a concern for me.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:39 PM

19 posts, read 16,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I guess if I was single and had a decent job I would pick Atlanta, if I was married and looking for a job it would be Pittsburgh

That's the issue. I am thinking long-term. Once I establish my business I don't want to relocate.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:44 PM

13 posts, read 12,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashan5 View Post
Stay away from PGH! Cold small, minded no diveristy "town" not a major city
Come to city-data forum for the most intelligent posters explaining things in an intellectual sense. Why isn't it a major city? Oh, because of it's population. Did you realize Pittsburgh is a tiny 55 square miles in land area, and if it was Atlanta's land area size it would be close to 500-600 thousand people. Do you realize the urban neighborhoods the city of Pittsburgh has. I do however realize this forum doesn't attract the most intellectual of people that can analyze things.

These two cities are very different than each other. But anyways, the women comparison is just another stupid thing to compare. I lived in the East End of Pittsburgh, Philly, Denver, Baltimore. There are hot women everywhere. The women in the East End of Pittsburgh were just as hot as anywhere. When people bring that comparison up it as if they are like 16.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:50 PM

6,907 posts, read 4,378,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanjstntch View Post
I do agree, Pittsburgh has some great cultural amenities, but so does Atlanta.
My point was for a place half the size of Atlanta, Pittsburgh can hold its own culturally.

Quote:
What I’ve gathered from the forum is that white collar professionals with higher incomes and options aren’t flocking to Atlanta. I’ve read in other posts that Atlanta’s recent growth has been in lower paying service and retail jobs.
I think Atlanta is very white collar and will become more so. Companies are still locating to or consolidating in Atlanta. Still our unemployment rate remains stubbornly high.

Quote:
There have also been several posts about how to market Atlanta and what defines Atlanta. It seems like there is no real direction or identity for the city.
As much as people confess to loving diversity, I think that can be the result. A place with no clear identity. It's sort of like Atlanta is a blank canvas and you decide what you want to be. Nice thought in some ways but it makes it hard to attach oneself to the place. Lots of people love Atlanta but it's not clear to what they are attaching themselves to. Maybe in time Atlanta will gel into something identifiable.

Quote:
Finally, to the person that said there is no diversity in Pittsburgh, I agree. Pittsburgh is pretty much black and white (majority white). However, I read the Pittsburgh, Atlanta, and many other city forums. Of all the forums, the Atlanta one has the most tension regarding racial issues. Not trying to start a fire here but it’s just what I’ve observed. I could care less about race, but there are noticeably more threads about race issues in Atlanta compared to all the forums I follow which is a concern for me.
When Atlanta was under "white control", it had a set culture that did backroom deals with the black community to keep the peace. Then it transitioned to a black controlled city with white suburbs which created its own tension. Things are changing again with the new urbanism and the rise of the Hispanic population. I mean even MARTA has been giving announcements in both English and Spanish.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarks View Post
Come to city-data forum for the most intelligent posters explaining things in an intellectual sense. Why isn't it a major city? Oh, because of it's population. Did you realize Pittsburgh is a tiny 55 square miles in land area, and if it was Atlanta's land area size it would be close to 500-600 thousand people. Do you realize the urban neighborhoods the city of Pittsburgh has. I do however realize this forum doesn't attract the most intellectual of people that can analyze things.
Oh yes, that's the other thing I forgot about Pittsburghers. I don't know if those earlier two posters are former Pittsburghers or not but Pittsburghers do have a curious self-loathing. Very quick to think the worst about Pittsburgh. But that's not the case with outsiders and and curiously ex-Pittsburghers (ok some still cling to a loathing of Pittsburgh). My theory is that Pittsburgh doesn't have nearly as many sunny days as other places like Atlanta. Sunny places do tend to lift your spirits. That is another downside to Pittsburgh. It's a bit on the low end for number of sunny days.

Pittsburgh has been getting good outside press lately including two #1 Best Places Almanac ratings. Even The Economist gave Pittsburgh a #1 rating in the US and #29 in the world. Not bad for a defunct steel town.

Quote:
These two cities are very different than each other. But anyways, the women comparison is just another stupid thing to compare. I lived in the East End of Pittsburgh, Philly, Denver, Baltimore. There are hot women everywhere. The women in the East End of Pittsburgh were just as hot as anywhere. When people bring that comparison up it as if they are like 16.
Sure, there are attractive women everywhere, but I honestly think Atlanta women are among the more attractive and there are more of them. Maybe California girls are the most attractive.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:22 PM

338 posts, read 396,355 times
While both cities have strong pros and cons, I think I would place my bet with Atlanta over a long term period of time.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:34 PM

208 posts, read 203,606 times
As a business owner myself, I say it depends on the business. There is a lot of wealth in Atlanta, a LOT LOT LOT more than Pittsburgh. If you run a business which caters to the wealthy, after a few years if you're good you can make some good money. However, if your business is slaighted towards avg. or upper middle income, Atlanta isn't a good place to be. A very large percentage of "wealthy" in Atlanta either earned that wealth over a decade ago or they brought it here from elsewhere where they had high equity. You're either very rich, very poor, or just a plain freakshow in Atlanta... go to piedmont park on a weekend and that's representative of the city.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:40 PM

397 posts, read 421,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
No, Atlanta lacks character outside of a few nice intown neighborhoods. .
So there IS character in Atlanta. Thanks.

Let me try to re-state that. The areas of Atlanta that have character, have character. Those that do not, do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
character and urban qualities are not Atlanta's strength.
Many would argue against that.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfilms View Post
As a business owner myself, I say it depends on the business. There is a lot of wealth in Atlanta, a LOT LOT LOT more than Pittsburgh. If you run a business which caters to the wealthy, after a few years if you're good you can make some good money. However, if your business is slaighted towards avg. or upper middle income, Atlanta isn't a good place to be. A very large percentage of "wealthy" in Atlanta either earned that wealth over a decade ago or they brought it here from elsewhere where they had high equity. You're either very rich, very poor, or just a plain freakshow in Atlanta... go to piedmont park on a weekend and that's representative of the city.
I think so too. For dynamism and growth...it's Atlanta. For stability and predictability...Pittsburgh. It wouldn't surprise me if over the next few decades Pittsburgh has no net population growth and modest rise in wealth per capita.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:00 PM

640 posts, read 549,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarks View Post

Yes i realize all these things i live in the city of pgh born and raised. check my statistics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta