Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 17,652 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving to Atlanta area next month.
I need to get a car now.
Should I buy a car in California or Georgia ?
Is there sales tax advantage or other expenses Cal vs Georgia ?

Your replies will much appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 01:06 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,926,057 times
I would buy in GA because for one you will have to get the car there and register it there. Makes life much more simple. You can find out what you want in Calif. and then just find the same car in GA. Basically step off the plane and pick it up. That's of course if your thinking new..

If used you want to make sure it has passed the GA smog check before you buy it. Myself I wouldn't want to make that drive from CA to GA but in my younger years I would have done it. So also figure in the cost of travel...

Old 02-03-2012, 01:08 PM

183 posts, read 351,213 times
Not sure about car price, but tag fees seem to be cheaper in GA than in CA. But then again, ours was not a new car...

Just FYI in case you paid registration fees in CA, the local office here will pro-rate the GA fees for you if you show proof that you paid in CA for the year.

Why don't you call a couple of dealers here and compare prices? I'm sure they'll be more than happy to run you a figure including all taxes and registration. Good luck!

Old 02-03-2012, 01:12 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,898,346 times
Sales tax is 7%
You pay
Local Ad Valorem on your birthday for the value of the car.
Johns Creek - Forsyth Forsyth County Government :: Tax Commissioners Office
Johns Creek - Fulton Fulton County

You Might be able to get Temp places in CA, and then move to GA, and register/pay here in GA. But you would need to check out the rules.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 17,652 times
Thank you so much for your kind responses !

Old 02-04-2012, 07:57 AM

957 posts, read 3,342,407 times
Where in california are you moving to john creek ga. I am assuming you are moving to johns creek? It is cool to see californians finding some interest living in johns creek.

I live right in the border of johns creek and s. Forsyth, on the forsyth side and annual sticker is much cheaper than fulton county. A lot of it depends on the age of your car. A brand new 5 series bmw will cost you a lot of $$$ for your annual sticker. I moved here from chicago and i noticed that the sticker is a bit more expensive. And again, the sales tax in chicago is 9.75% but if you buy a car in gwinnett you will be paying only 6%. 3.75% is a lot of savings if you are buying a $30,000 car.

Last edited by mrpanda; 02-04-2012 at 08:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: