U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 03:49 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,498,818 times

Advertisements

I’ve been seeing signs like this and others around town and I was wondering what the deal was… I also came across this article…

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/divi...w-1322881.html

What is the brouhaha all about regarding APS redistricting? Fill me in on the real deal...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 03:59 PM

15,011 posts, read 9,783,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
What is the brouhaha all about regarding APS redistricting? Fill me in on the real deal...
Here's the short version. The Atlanta School Board spent a billion dollars on physical plant in the last 10 years. However, it turns out they built in the wrong places. They have way too much capacity on the south side of town, and are way under capacity on the north side. Hence they need to move the kids on the north side around and build a bunch of new schools. Fortunately a new education SPLOST passed so there will still be plenty of taxpayer money.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:19 PM

2,642 posts, read 5,374,554 times
There was some noise about taking SPARK and Morningside out of Grady, which is just wrong. I don't live in those areas but I thought it was wrong. And, with the recent proposals, that's no longer on the table. But nobody is happy.

If you go to the APS website you can see the two most current redistricting proposal maps (options A and B).

Demographic Study / Overview

The whole thing is a mess, though I have no idea how this could not be a mess.

Of course the mess is about not only where your child will go to school but also about what it means for property values and therefore property taxes, etc.

It's exhausting.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:51 PM

3,576 posts, read 7,530,065 times
APS redistricting plans face strong resistance from some affected communities | Get Schooled

Old 02-03-2012, 04:57 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,498,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
There was some noise about taking SPARK and Morningside out of Grady, which is just wrong. I don't live in those areas but I thought it was wrong. And, with the recent proposals, that's no longer on the table. But nobody is happy.
If they do not go to Grady, what high school will they attend?

Old 02-03-2012, 05:01 PM

2,642 posts, read 5,374,554 times
They were, I think, going to send them to the *new* North Atlanta High.

It was ridiculous, considering the geographic proximity of Grady.

But that's no longer on the table.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:37 PM

1,184 posts, read 1,139,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Here's the short version. The Atlanta School Board spent a billion dollars on physical plant in the last 10 years. However, it turns out they built in the wrong places. They have way too much capacity on the south side of town, and are way under capacity on the north side. Hence they need to move the kids on the north side around and build a bunch of new schools.
True, but in a larger sense there's another issue: the issue that the government, both local and federal, sometimes doesn't care about the public's freedom of association. At other times, the government flat out aims to crush this freedom. People buy a house in part because they want to choose their children's peers.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:39 PM

8,710 posts, read 12,309,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
They were, I think, going to send them to the *new* North Atlanta High.

It was ridiculous, considering the geographic proximity of Grady.

But that's no longer on the table.

Only Morningside was initially proposed to be moved to the North Atlana Cluster. That is no longer the case.

Lin, however, could be moved (potentially/hypothetically) to the Maynard Jackson Cluster. This could be a good/wise move. Together with Toomer and the Burgess-Peterson Academy--what a powerful triumvirate in eastern Atlanta Proper!

Old 02-03-2012, 08:41 PM

8,710 posts, read 12,309,218 times

Even more about this--

APS posts new maps and scenarios for redistricting. Are these any better? | Get Schooled

Old 02-03-2012, 10:19 PM

608 posts, read 381,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Only Morningside was initially proposed to be moved to the North Atlana Cluster. That is no longer the case.

Lin, however, could be moved (potentially/hypothetically) to the Maynard Jackson Cluster. This could be a good/wise move. Together with Toomer and the Burgess-Peterson Academy--what a powerful triumvirate in eastern Atlanta Proper!
How would it be a wise move? The Lin community has made it more than clear that we are not interested in going. I've been going to quite a few meetings and I'm amazed at how everyone has painted the Lin community, and Lake Claire in particular, as the villain in this, as if we had written all these proposals ourselves.

I know we all see what we want to see out of these maps, but given the presence of a new middle school in between Buckhead and Morningside in almost all maps, and the fact that the real constraint is middle school, I wouldn't be surprised to see Morningside eventually moving to a newly middle school with part of SRT4, probably as a split feed to come back to Grady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta