Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 01:00 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
DEBORAH NORVILLE?! Lmao ... And where is she today!? Better throw in Forrest Sawyer while your at it! Only people who don't work in "the business" would be critical of Monica for staying put in Atlanta all these years! Love her or hate her, you can trust me on this: she is far more respected and known within the industry -- AND WEALTHIER -- for having stayed at WSB 37 years than jump to a network. The woman was THE FIRST FEMALE BLACK NEWS ANCHOR IN AMERICA!! And she has been paid an annual salary in the MILLIONS for years now! With mucho perks, her own staff, mondo vacation time, etc. Why in gods name would she want to co-anchor some network newsmagazine or fill on the weekends? For ego? HA!
But Monica basically peaked and stayed there for years. At some point it's no longer for the money but to move in your career. Monica didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 01:51 PM

562 posts, read 1,126,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
What's your source? Everything I can find on him says WSB.
Keep in mind that WSB was an NBC affiliate until late 1980. WSB and WXIA (then and ABC affiliate) swapped affiliations.

I think that may be some of the confusion over Tom Brokaw!!

Old 02-07-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
Keep in mind that WSB was an NBC affiliate until late 1980. WSB and WXIA (then and ABC affiliate) swapped affiliations.

I think that may be some of the confusion over Tom Brokaw!!
But they really don't have to be loyal to their network do they? Course, that was a long time ago.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:42 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
But they really don't have to be loyal to their network do they? Course, that was a long time ago.
Judy Woodruff who has been with NBC for years was on WAGA in Atlanta when it was the CBS affiliate, so no, they don't have to stay within the network. Even when they get to the network they move around, look at Katie Couric, NBC for years with Today, to CBS News now with ABC.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
But Monica basically peaked and stayed there for years. At some point it's no longer for the money but to move in your career. Monica didn't.
So? She did what she wanted to do. She didn't have some NEED to move in her career. Family was more important. I for one applaud her for staying in Atlanta. For many people, there is more to life than advancing in a career. Advancing a family is a much more noble goal, IMHO. Too many families have suffered because of someone's need to advance their career above all else.

It's hard to believe Monica is still around. I turned 50 this year. I remember her doing the 7:25 local news blurb during the Today show while I ate my breakfast before high school. That was a LONG time ago.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:48 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
What's your source? Everything I can find on him says WSB.
I stand corrected - it was WSB. I got confused because they were not an ABC affiliate at the time......

Old 02-07-2012, 02:51 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernsee View Post
Being an out of towner now living in Atlanta, I have to say WSB is the biggest embarrassment to TV news that I have ever seen in my life. Many of their stories reek of conservative propaganda, such as all their 'Government Sucks' angles. This makes sense since they are owned by COX Communications, which is a conservative company. What's far worse is their emphasis on dredging up any crime story they can find. It can be July 4 or Thanksgiving or Christmas. It doesn't matter. They always have a crime story as a top story, no matter how big, no matter how small. They have absolutely no sense of the bigger picture in terms of news. It's absolutely disgusting. Some may say that all stations focus on crime now over everything else. That's not true. I've lived and traveled in many places and make it a point to watch local TV news. Nothing comes close to what WSB does in terms of crime. I just can't believe people watch this crap. Doesn't exactly make me proud to live in Atlanta watching their newscasts. It's such lazy reporting also. I'm not completely blaming Monica for this, but she's worked there for years. You figure she would have some impact on the direction of their newscasts. I doubt any serious journalist would ever be caught dead working at WSB. That station gives TV journalism a very bad name.
I absolutely and totally agree with all of this. The ONLY reason I'll look at WSB is for Monica & Glen Burns. They have all the most up to date bells and whistles for weather forecasting, but their programming is the worst type of "if it bleeds it leads" garbage in this market.

I have become a big fan of 11Alive in the morning and after work.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Judy Woodruff who has been with NBC for years was on WAGA in Atlanta when it was the CBS affiliate, so no, they don't have to stay within the network. Even when they get to the network they move around, look at Katie Couric, NBC for years with Today, to CBS News now with ABC.
Yeah, but Brokaw was with WSB in 1965 so maybe back then movement was more "vertical". Back then, you couldn't even mention another network. If a guest on Johnny Carson had a show on say CBS, Johnny could only say the guest was on "another network". I don't know when that rule was broken but I remember being surprised when I heard David Letterman say other networks' call letters.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I absolutely and totally agree with all of this. The ONLY reason I'll look at WSB is for Monica & Glen Burns. They have all the most up to date bells and whistles for weather forecasting, but their programming is the worst type of "if it bleeds it leads" garbage in this market.

I have become a big fan of 11Alive in the morning and after work.
I don't even watch local news anymore. Haven't for over 10 years now. I get what I need from the internet, when and where I want. Even the TV station internet sites are bad.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernsee View Post
Being an out of towner now living in Atlanta, I have to say WSB is the biggest embarrassment to TV news that I have ever seen in my life. Many of their stories reek of conservative propaganda, such as all their 'Government Sucks' angles. This makes sense since they are owned by COX Communications, which is a conservative company. What's far worse is their emphasis on dredging up any crime story they can find. It can be July 4 or Thanksgiving or Christmas. It doesn't matter. They always have a crime story as a top story, no matter how big, no matter how small. They have absolutely no sense of the bigger picture in terms of news. It's absolutely disgusting. Some may say that all stations focus on crime now over everything else. That's not true. I've lived and traveled in many places and make it a point to watch local TV news. Nothing comes close to what WSB does in terms of crime. I just can't believe people watch this crap. Doesn't exactly make me proud to live in Atlanta watching their newscasts. It's such lazy reporting also. I'm not completely blaming Monica for this, but she's worked there for years. You figure she would have some impact on the direction of their newscasts. I doubt any serious journalist would ever be caught dead working at WSB. That station gives TV journalism a very bad name.
The Cox family have been considered on the left and champs of liberal political causes forever. The AJC's editorial page is very left, for the south at least.

Here is a link that shows Anne Cox Chambers to be an ardent supporter of the current president's campaign in 2008. She was also an ambassador to Belgium appointed by Jimmy Carter. Hardly a conservative.

Anne Cox Chambers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta