U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 01:43 PM

4 posts, read 6,132 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm currently living towards Gainesville, GA, making the commute to the Lenox Square Mall area (I-85 and N. Druid Hills exit) every day for work. I'm thinking of buying a home closer to work - so I can cut the hour plus drive home (without traffic, accidents, or weather!) to maybe around 30-40 minutes tops. My plan is to move sometime during this summer, so between May and July.

I'd be most interested in something around $600-800/mo. payments on a house. I'm single, and have no children, but the home should be something that could accomodate for this in the future (keeping safety and education in mind here). Foreclosed homes are fine too, so long as the neighborhood is good.

As for lifestyle preference, since work is practically on the outskirts of downtown, I don't think I can avoid the urban lifestyle, but I'd like to find somewhere quiet and safe. Public transit is of no concern to me, I don't mind driving.

I had in mind the areas: Norcross, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Decatur, North Druid Hills, Tucker, etc - but as I don't know these areas much, it's hard for me to tell the quality of the neighborhoods, the best potential for raising a family in the area, and of course - the commute to work. Are there any other areas aside from the above that may be suitable?

Any locals who can provide input/feedback? It would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 04:11 PM

3,544 posts, read 2,309,093 times
If you are looking for a single family house, I would cross off North Druid Hills, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, and Decatur with your budget, unless you plan to put a very substantial percentage down.

You will probably be able to find something in your range in Tucker or Norcross. Those areas are more accessible and have more modestly priced homes.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:43 AM

Honestly, my budget can be up to up to $1200/mo. I'd just prefer less if possible. Are those areas still fine?

Old 02-07-2012, 07:00 AM

22,172 posts, read 16,173,511 times
My wife and I bought a house in Kirkwood, a neighborhood in eastside Atlanta. The area is nice, safe, great neighbors, strong neighborhood organization, and 5 excellent parks within 2 square miles. She commutes to Buckhead, via MARTA. The trip 30 minutes door-to-door, cost less than buying gas weekly and is more relaxing. The neighborhood offers condos, apartments, new homes, and older-remodeled homes within your price range. Check it out, zip code=30317.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:31 AM

21,871 posts, read 12,756,679 times
Contact a bank or a mortgage broker and work backwards in terms of your desired monthly payment. It will give you a price range to shop in, get you pre-approved and then help you narrow down your options for neighborhoods and area based on your price range.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:42 AM

cqholt, that's great information. I assume the Buckhead MARTA exit is the one by Lenox Sq. Mall? I've used MARTA before so I'm not so opposed to it (and my company will likely cover MARTA fees anyway), definitely saving money on gas.

Just out of curiosity, would you mind sharing the kind of house you bought (rooms, price, etc.)? I'll keep Kirkwood in mind.

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2012, 08:14 AM

7,732 posts, read 11,774,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by py7133 View Post
cqholt, that's great information. I assume the Buckhead MARTA exit is the one by Lenox Sq. Mall? I've used MARTA before so I'm not so opposed to it (and my company will likely cover MARTA fees anyway), definitely saving money on gas.

Just out of curiosity, would you mind sharing the kind of house you bought (rooms, price, etc.)? I'll keep Kirkwood in mind.

Thanks!
Actually, the Buckhead MARTA station is on Peachtree, between Magianno's and Capitol City Plaza in the median of GA 400. This is on the Red Line from North Springs.

The station you're probably thinking of behind Lenox is the Lenox Station on the Gold Line from Doraville, at the corner of Lenox & East Paces Ferry right across from the J.W. Marriott.

The Buc shuttle connects the two.

BucRide | Buckhead Free Shuttle | Buckhead Bus Service

Old 02-07-2012, 08:19 AM

22,172 posts, read 16,173,511 times
I was just giving an example. The Gold Line serves Lenox station. Trains run every 12 minutes during rush-hour. The BUC shuttle and MARTA route 110 connect both stations via Peachtree Rd and Lenox Rd.
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, would you mind sharing the kind of house you bought (rooms, price, etc.)?
I purchased a recently renovated 3 bedroom, 2 bath craftsman bungalow for under $200,000. As my wife and I walk the dogs around the neighborhood I see several remolded homes with upgrade amenities.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:26 PM

3,544 posts, read 2,309,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by py7133 View Post
Honestly, my budget can be up to up to $1200/mo. I'd just prefer less if possible. Are those areas still fine?
Yes much easier to buy in those ITP areas with 1200/mo than with 600-800.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:11 PM

Thanks atltechdude. That's what I figured of course. (I pull in $70k/yr, but I'd just like to save as much as I can since I'm a conservative single guy anyway.)

Any other suggestions other than Kirkwood? I'm really thinking about the Sandy Springs or Dunwoody area, but I'm unsure about the traffic going down to Buckhead. I read a thread on these forums a year or two ago that the traffic was anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour. Any specific areas I should be looking at if I'm aiming to cut my times down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or