Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:04 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,642,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpilot1 View Post
I ended up doing something stupid last night. I was driving home from Atlanta and ended up getting a ticket on 85 south near Union City. The most I've ever sped is 5-10mph over the limit.

My car had been making a weird noise lately and I decided to push it a bit to see how it would react (Ive heard sometimes pushing it can clean up carbon buildup). This was at 3 am so hardly anyone was on the road. Unlucky for me I let off but I got clocked going 92mph.....

This is my first speeding ticket ever so I don't know how much it would be or if I would get points on my license/court etc. I have to wait 3 days before I can call to see how much its going to be. Can anyone chime in on how screwed I am?

Edit: I am 23 and got my license at 16.
Were you driving in the fast lane or slow lane?

I am only asking because my theory is that you are less likely to get pulled over in the fast lane than in the slow lane!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:28 AM

705 posts, read 1,110,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post

I am only asking because my theory is that you are less likely to get pulled over in the fast lane than in the slow lane!
Well, not true from my perspective, when we conduct speed enforcement the lane thespeeding vehicle is in is not a consideration unless the vehicle is doing less than the posted speed limit in the left lane with vehicles behind it, that is a violation but not an exceeding the speed limit violation. The fast lane is where a lot of the violations occur, but not exclusively. A laser will detect a speed almost a mile away, but I prefer to have a distance of no more than 1500 feet on my citations. This way the tracking history can be more practically and accurately established.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 13,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post

Thanks everyone for the advice! I was speeding in one of the middle lanes, but I dont think it matters because it was 3:00AM when this happened so there was no one else on the road.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:03 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,160 times
Well at least you weren't putting anyone else in immediate danger if the roads were empty but still, that won't fly in the court of law.

I'd plead Nolo which is basically saying that you're not innocent but you're not admitting guilt either and that you just want to pay it and move on. You can only use this plea once every 4-5 years depending on the jurisdiction but it will usually reduce your fine to the minimum amount they can give you... Which in your case will still probably be expensive unfortunately.

The good news is that if you don't have enough money on you to pay the fine at the court, you can get put on probation while you pay it off through a payment plan.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:37 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,763,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Well at least you weren't putting anyone else in immediate danger if the roads were empty but still, that won't fly in the court of law.

I'd plead Nolo which is basically saying that you're not innocent but you're not admitting guilt either and that you just want to pay it and move on. You can only use this plea once every 4-5 years depending on the jurisdiction but it will usually reduce your fine to the minimum amount they can give you... Which in your case will still probably be expensive unfortunately.

The good news is that if you don't have enough money on you to pay the fine at the court, you can get put on probation while you pay it off through a payment plan.
This might be a... call and ask a lawyer real quick thing.

Someone once told me to save the NoLo thing in case you were in a situation where you would earn alot of points or you would already hit 15 points.

Idea being... you might not hit 15 points in these two years, but you might in the next two and need the Nolo then instead of now.

but this is a ask a lawyer thing... I don't know all the ins and outs, but wanted to express the pro and con I heard.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:52 PM

705 posts, read 1,110,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
This might be a... call and ask a lawyer real quick thing.

Someone once told me to save the NoLo thing in case you were in a situation where you would earn alot of points or you would already hit 15 points.

Idea being... you might not hit 15 points in these two years, but you might in the next two and need the Nolo then instead of now.

but this is a ask a lawyer thing... I don't know all the ins and outs, but wanted to express the pro and con I heard.
I have been telling people for the 34 years I've been doing this that they should never under any circumstances go before any judge without an attorney, regardless of why they would be there.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:45 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,763,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
Well, not true from my perspective, when we conduct speed enforcement the lane thespeeding vehicle is in is not a consideration unless the vehicle is doing less than the posted speed limit in the left lane with vehicles behind it, that is a violation but not an exceeding the speed limit violation. The fast lane is where a lot of the violations occur, but not exclusively. A laser will detect a speed almost a mile away, but I prefer to have a distance of no more than 1500 feet on my citations. This way the tracking history can be more practically and accurately established.
I was curious about this. I heard the law provides or some type of laser licensing process only allows use of a laser gun within 2,200 feet.

Do you know anything about this? or is this completely wrong?

Old 02-10-2012, 10:21 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,870,568 times
Legal questions should be answered via an attorney that specialized in traffic issues. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta