Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 03:46 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times

Advertisements

^^^ OLD SCHOOL CHEVY -- you are one sick puppy. And just think, maybe if you'd been around back then you could have been a victim and proven your Wayne Williams theory! Assuming you're black of course.

Seriously, isn't this sort of like wishing you got HIV in the '80s rather than today because now all the drama and fun has been taken out of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 04:21 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,099,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
^^^ OLD SCHOOL CHEVY -- you are one sick puppy. And just think, maybe if you'd been around back then you could have been a victim and proven your Wayne Williams theory! Assuming you're black of course.

Seriously, isn't this sort of like wishing you got HIV in the '80s rather than today because now all the drama and fun has been taken out of it?

That wouldn't have happened, I wouldn't have been in the streets like that. My Dad had me on lock growing up. I was that kid on the block who was in HS but still had to be inside when the street lights came on. And all you have to do to test that theory is use common sense. Just look at these kids running around in the streets today, do you think it would be easy to try to snatch one of them up all by yourself and kill them with your bare hands? We're not talking about some overweight video game junkies who has never even been in a fight before in his life. The victims were street kids that I'm pretty sure had been in their share of scuffles in the street. It's not like Wayne Williams was some big imposing figure who just overpowered people, this guy was short and skinny. Not to mention the fact that black people are very suspicious of strangers anyway, and even then the people who did know him always thought he was strange, even before all this. People in Dixie Hills and Collier Heights knew Williams for being that weird guy with the camera basically. He was known for trying to take pictures of women and men to try and get them into bed. People already knew his M.O. and that would have made it that much harder for him to coerce some kid into his car without a scene. Also take the fact that Williams main source of victims were teenagers that were basically what most people would call thugs today, like the guys who beat that gay dude up in SW Atlanta would be today's version of them. Do you actually think someone like Williams could kill dozens of teenagers and young adults like that by himself? If you want to test the theory go ride thru any hood in the city and snatch up the first 14-25 y/o male you see and lets see how that goes for you.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:39 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Hey, he may not have killed them all but, there is little question that he killed a few of them??? For that alone, he is where he belongs...as it relates to the other questionable kills???? Aterall, they DID find fibers in his car and on his dog? He was ultimately convicted of only 2 and then the rest were pinned on him after the trial....

My guess, they were simply "routine" homicides at the time....just because this guy was killing people didn't mean that OTHERS weren't being killed either??? Cocaine was coming on to the scene, perhaps there were a number of drug-related deaths at the time and like all judicial branches, it became a watershed opportunity to "close" some other cases that might never be closed? Just toss them all in......to be sure, these were mostly children so I doubt they were drug-related homicides but, you get my point. The business of general malfeasance and homicide goes on with, or with out Wayne.

Regardless, Williams is a bad guy....the fact, or possible fact, that some other homicides may/may not have been pinned on him matters not.....to question is to say, "yeah, he got railroaded so let's let him off for eh ones he DID commit and set him free for the ones he MIGHT not have committed"???? Incredulous comes to mind.....

No, keep him where he is and never, ever let him see the light of day. As for the survivors of those homicides, you have my deepest sympathies. As for the police? They probably did the best they could. Think about it, someone could take a pot shot at you flying down that stretch of I-285 from the woods and never get caught....it's not impossible to believe that some cases go unsolved in perpetuity simply because there is no evidence to tie anyone to those particular crimes. I'm quite sure if you asked some DA's and Police personnel if there are a number of cases that will never be solved, they would more than likely tell you there are more than perhaps you would ever like to know.....it's just too hard to catch them all.

This in light of fact that forensics are at their best today, techniques are ever perfected, and the public is pretty much squarely on the side of the law. People tend to sound off when they see something today than perhaps thirty years ago...remember the word "pig" and the liberal use of that negative term? It was used by youth and adults interchangeably.....not so much today....There are exceptions but, poll 1,000 public citizens and ask if they witnessed a crime, would they come forward? Smart money says the ovewhelming majority would say yes.

We really, really do need to bring officers into the classrooms in elementary school (like when I was a kid) to promote safety and repair/improve their image as a whole. When you see them in that light as a kid, you tend to support them throughout your life. Left a lasting impression on me for these last 40 odd years....I'm sure it would work here too. Just need to have the common sense to do it and to ignore any PC commentary that is bound to come up. Hey, and here's a thought, it costs nothing but one officer's time.

Hey, if you are wondering where Wayne Williams actually is, he is housed at the Hancock County State Prison....I believe this is a privately run facility....doesn't exactly look like "maximum security"....says it's a "close supervision" (hate to think we have a prison that looks like a "not-so-close" supervision) facilty....whatever that means.....

Here's the link, can't find much more....says it was built in 1990 and opened in 1991...houses up to 1,300 or so Male Felons....wow, I would have thought he would have been in a much, much higher level facility than this.....anyone know when he was put there? It's about 74 miles east of Atlanta.....

|| Georgia Department of Corrections ||

Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Hey, he may not have killed them all but, there is little question that he killed a few of them??? For that alone, he is where he belongs...as it relates to the other questionable kills????
It seems pretty clear that Williams is guilty of at least some of the murders.

The question, though, is if he didn't do them all, is a killer still on the loose?

Old 02-14-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It seems pretty clear that Williams is guilty of at least some of the murders.

The question, though, is if he didn't do them all, is a killer still on the loose?

If he/she is, they have to be pretty well up there....hey, when I was searching around to find out where he is housed, I found out that one of his defense counsel still has his old station wagon...beat up looking thing...he's keeping in case it miraculously gives up evidence in his favor.....

Now, while GM was trying to produce better cars, I never would be prepared to give them any credit for solving murder cases. No, the wagonmasters of yesteryear were pretty tame units.....it does bring me back to that time...hard to believe those things were ever in demand....look at all that chrome detailing! What a heap.....

Well, he still has the car....maybe some clues will drop out as it continues to rust away.....interesting to know Wayne is serving his time in a facility so close to home...probably for his parents sake if they are even still alive. Doesn't look like the "pound me in the a$$ prison" Peter talks about in the Movie, "Office Space".....looks like a pretty benign place but, like all prisons, I'm sure it's not pleasant. Nothing like the Shawshank Redemption movie set I assure you though....

So, if he was convicted in 1982, this would be his 30'th year of incarceration on one of his two consecutive life sentences. He has to be 53 now. There's a photo or two of him as he looks today. He looks almost nothing like he did 30 years ago. You can barely tell it's him. Be hard to believe he could do another 30 years.

I don't think they will spend anymore time or money on his case. It's just been too long. Would be interesting to really know just how many he really did kill. I do remember, right after he was caught, it almost all stopped within a week of his capture.

Walks like a Duck, Quacks like a Duck....guess what, it's a Duck.....case closed.

I wonder if they will ever let him out later in life?

Old 02-14-2012, 09:56 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
So, if he was convicted in 1982, this would be his 30'th year of incarceration on one of his two consecutive life sentences. He has to be 53 now. There's a photo or two of him as he looks today. He looks almost nothing like he did 30 years ago. You can barely tell it's him. Be hard to believe he could do another 30 years.

I don't think they will spend anymore time or money on his case. It's just been too long. Would be interesting to really know just how many he really did kill. I do remember, right after he was caught, it almost all stopped within a week of his capture.

Walks like a Duck, Quacks like a Duck....guess what, it's a Duck.....case closed.
Well, case closed as far as Williams being guilty of at least some of the murders.

But all of them? It's harder to see that. And if there is someone else who did part of the killings he should be brought to justice. That's why there's no statute of limitations on murder. You don't get off because you didn't get caught for a long time.

Isn't it well known that serial killers sometimes go underground for years or even decades?

Old 02-15-2012, 01:12 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
^^^^ You're screen name may be OVERCOOKED OATMEAL but there's nothing OVERCOOKED about your posts on C-D! I'm impressed with all of your posts, but especially with your ability to respond calmly, fairly, accurately and succinctly to an undeserving moron troll like the one above! BRAVO! And stick around! We need more of you on C-D!
Thanks! I appreciate it!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, case closed as far as Williams being guilty of at least some of the murders.

But all of them? It's harder to see that. And if there is someone else who did part of the killings he should be brought to justice. That's why there's no statute of limitations on murder. You don't get off because you didn't get caught for a long time.

Isn't it well known that serial killers sometimes go underground for years or even decades?
Agreed. I don't see him as the type that liked to go fishing with kids on a routine basis. Almost from the get go, he didn't appear as the type that would take them for a stroll along the chattahoochie...he seemed like a milquetoast....but, then again, so did jeffrey dahmer. A friend of mine used to ride the school bus with jeffrey in elementary school. He went to the revere school district just outside of akron ohio....and all that crap about the kids parents were well educated means nothing. Dahmer's dad was a phd in chemical engineering If i recall and, from what I know, is a nice man. The parents education means nothing...look at Dave Chappelle? Funniest man walking...his parents were educators too....i wish people would get away from that....

Anyway, williams doesn't seem the type but, then again, what is the "type" for a serial killer? Dahmer was as benign as they get as a kid and having grown up in that area, i am confident he was bullied by the upper classes of bath and revere ohio.....no, if they trip a trigger early on, look to his immediate peers as a source.....not the parents. They start to disconnect in middle school....right about the time dahmer started killing and mutilating animals....quiet desperation and rage me thinks....most of us handle it, some don't.....

Williams? Probably not all the killings but, before anyone jumps on the patty hearst bandwagon, remember, he did kill a few if not, quite a few more?

Old 02-16-2012, 02:43 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
IS A KILLER STILL ON THE LOOSE? Of course there's a killer still on the loose. Few cold-blooded killers do us as many favors as Ryan Brunn! Do y'all have any idea how many unsolved killings there are in this country every year? Hundreds! Besides, nobody has ever said Wayne WIlliams did all those murders -- not the APD, not the DA, not the FBI. But the killings stopped and that's the main thing. There are lots of killers still on the loose who never get caught, often because they never kill again and the trail simply runs cold. Williams wasnt that lucky OR smart. We simply don't have the resources to keep investigating every murder until it is solved. You have to draw the line, close the book and move on eventually. Because tomorrow, someone is going to get killed by somebody else ... again ... and again.

Last edited by Newsboy; 02-16-2012 at 02:55 AM..

Old 02-16-2012, 02:57 AM

151 posts, read 366,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
But truth is the murder rate in Atlanta in those days was almost three times what it is today.
actually, Atlanta's murder rate even at its highest in the late 70's around the time of the child murders was about the same as it is today. you have to remember Atlanta's population was a lot higher back then. Atlanta lost roughly 20% of its population after the atlanta child murders, when people realized how bad it was. so there were more murders then because there were more people. Atlanta still has the same egregiously high murder rate, its just that the crime has shifted. dekalb county has over 100 murders per year. Atlanta still averages over 100. the image conscious bureaucrats have figured out a way to manipulate the city limit borders so a lot of murders arent included in the stats. everyday on the news theres a shooting, a murder, a child predator on the loose. Atlanta hasnt changed. if you do the metro stats,and control for the population changes,its still the same crime-ridden place its been for what seems like forever. someone gets killed everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta