U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 01:04 PM

2,581 posts, read 3,715,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Your welcome boy.
Nice way to show off your Tech education.

Ga. State '06
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 01:05 PM

13,450 posts, read 21,922,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I'm curious when they stopped this.

I had my hardest classes in 04-06 (graduated in 08) and there were definitely some classes I had that were widely regarded as weed out classes, these were classes where substantial percentages of the students failed.
The movement for higher retention actually started in the early 1990's. That's when programs like "Freshman Experience" got started.

It was a slow-go at first--but I think the freshman retention rate for GT is now over 90%. This is remarkable considering that in the early 1990's it was still below 70%--something like 68% or 65%.

The female population is also now around 35% (I think). That was a goal since the early 1990's as well. Also a slow-go at first.

I know there are many naysayer/love punishment types, however, I think the campus environment and overall GT experience is much better now than the pre-1990 dark days.

And--the changes that Midtown and the Westside have seen since the late 1990's only enhances the GT experience/campus environment even more.

(Of course, I am not taking into account the recent assaults/robberies that have seen a big uptick in the last year or two...)

Old 02-14-2012, 01:06 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,684,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Nice way to show off your Tech education.

Ga. State '06

Well played son.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:57 PM

7,112 posts, read 8,344,744 times
Quote:
I'm curious when they stopped this.

I had my hardest classes in 04-06 (graduated in 08) and there were definitely some classes I had that were widely regarded as weed out classes, these were classes where substantial percentages of the students failed.
Were you Architecture? I think they still try to weed out there. But in general, they are trying to provide a lot of student support services. I guess the general attitude changed when US News came out with those rankings and valued graduation rates. Now everyone is trying to play the US News "numbers" game.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:59 PM

4,963 posts, read 2,764,002 times
I was Computer Science.

I agree though that it's way better now than in the drownproofing days.

And I agree that there has been huge changes in the last few years. In the CS dept they changed the whole curriculum structure the year I left.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I was Computer Science.

I agree though that it's way better now than in the drownproofing days.

And I agree that there has been huge changes in the last few years. In the CS dept they changed the whole curriculum structure the year I left.
True, GT was also making the CS majors, like architecture, stay up for literally days coding. I think it was the beginning CS classes that were supposed to weed out the weak. Really, to me, those classes looked pretty easy.

For one thing, you can now be a CS major but not necessarily a code monkey anymore.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:58 PM

29,234 posts, read 26,167,017 times
UGA totally rocks. If you just took the Honors Program, I wonder how that would rank?

Old 02-14-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Personally, I think it is great that there are 2 good public universities instate. The state should be very proud of that and give them the support they need to educate the state. Heck, if I were GT, I would be lobbying to get new schools and majors added to capitalize on the school's great reputation and urban location to better meet the state's needs.
I'm sure Emory, Georgia State, and UGA would welcome an expansion of programs at GT. Might be better for GT to focus on its present programs.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Well they don't tie your hands together and throw you in a pool anymore. (Yes, that was a mandatory "drownproofing" class).
I went through that. It wasn't that bad really. Just relax, your body will float, and periodically pull your head up for a gulp of air. They also tie your legs together and hang a brick around your neck.

My favorite exercise was "Abandon Ship". We had to come in dressed in street clothes, jump off the high dive to simulate abandoning ship, and then take off and tie the legs and sleeves of our clothes. Then we would inflate our clothes by blowing in air, and just float there till the coach told us to get out of the water.

The only thing I could not do (and few could) was, without goggles, read the message written on the bottom of the pool. You had to blow air into your cupped hand to be able to read it. I never knew what the message was but it was probably "To Hell with Georgia!"

Old 02-14-2012, 11:16 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,867,308 times
So what I'm hearing is, if the Georgia Tech neighborhood doesn't kill you, the curriculum will? Or in other words, surviving Home Park is only half the challenge. What next, the profs hand out bullets with final exams?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or