Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:31 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,495,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
If your kids have any interest in music whatsoever, East Cobb is definitely where you want to be. Lassiter has probably the best band program in the nation. Though not as diverse as Wheeler, it's notable that the longtime band director at Lassiter -- Alfred Watkins -- is black. The music building at Lassiter is named for him. Nearby Kennesaw Mountain High has an equally impressive band program and is more diverse -- 15 to 20 percent I think. The only North Fulton school that is majority black is North Springs; the others tend to be a healthy mix or trend toward Asian. But I don't think A-A would feel alienated in any of them. This is Metro Atlanta after all ... and the year 2012.

BTW -- if you're not opposed to looking on the opposite side of town, the schools in Fayette County (Peachtree City) are just as good -- and slightly more diverse. Sandy Creek in Tyrone is majority black and one of the top ranked high schools in the state. Ditto Fayette County High in Fayetteviile. Both were just honored for their high minority graduation rates as well as high percentage of minorities taking Advanced Placement courses Like Lassiter, Fayette High has an outstanding music program. Sandy Creek is.a powerhouse in athletics. Both have strong community support and alumni bases that are white AND black. There's just a lot of community pride on those schools that I sometimes think is missing in some areas of Metro Atlanta.
Awesome commentary on the Fayette County schools...there's always a lot about McIntosh and Starr's Mill--however Sandy Creek and Fayette County High are great schools as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 02:37 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
^^^ Yep there's an interesting phenomenon that's happening in Fayette County schools that I've never seen anywhere else in Metro Atlanta (except Gwinnett): As the schools have gotten more diverse they've actually gotten better. It's hard to understand this when a place like next door Clayton County saw its schools go from majority white to 90 percent black in less than 10 years and the bottom fell out. But basically, Fayette Coumty isn't suffering white flight but instead experiencing a black INFLUX of successful, professional, upper middle class families that are being embraced. Not that there hasn't been some tension down there (both the county commission and school board are currently being sued to force district voting and minority representation) but to borrow a phrase that fits: "The reports of my demise (decline) have been greatly exaggerated." The baptist church my parents attend which 10 years ago was 100 percent lily white now has blacks, Asians, Hispanics even mixed race families and they love it! It's really the new face of all metro Atlanta!

Old 02-17-2012, 06:23 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Though not as diverse as Wheeler, it's notable that the longtime band director at Lassiter -- Alfred Watkins -- is black.
I'm not picking on you, Newsboy, but I would sure love it if the language police would outlaw the use of "diverse" as the equivalent of African American. To me that seems insulting to both blacks and whites, especially in a metro like this where we have zillions of people of all stripes and ethnic backgrounds.

Just saying.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times
Quote:
^^^ Yep there's an interesting phenomenon that's happening in Fayette County schools that I've never seen anywhere else in Metro Atlanta (except Gwinnett): As the schools have gotten more diverse they've actually gotten better. It's hard to understand this when a place like next door Clayton County saw its schools go from majority white to 90 percent black in less than 10 years and the bottom fell out. But basically, Fayette Coumty isn't suffering white flight but instead experiencing a black INFLUX of successful, professional, upper middle class families that are being embraced. Not that there hasn't been some tension down there (both the county commission and school board are currently being sued to force district voting and minority representation) but to borrow a phrase that fits: "The reports of my demise (decline) have been greatly exaggerated." The baptist church my parents attend which 10 years ago was 100 percent lily white now has blacks, Asians, Hispanics even mixed race families and they love it! It's really the new face of all metro Atlanta!
^^^^True .

Old 02-17-2012, 07:49 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,349,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah1 View Post
@gtcorndog, if your children were at a school that was 90% african american (or any other race beside yours) would that be okay with you?
If the school provided an East Cobb quality education, it wouldn't be a problem to me.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm not picking on you, Newsboy, but I would sure love it if the language police would outlaw the use of "diverse" as the equivalent of African American. To me that seems insulting to both blacks and whites, especially in a metro like this where we have zillions of people of all stripes and ethnic backgrounds.

Just saying.
Um, arjay--

By your definition, Wheeler is very diverse.

Look it up.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:16 PM

Wheeler is easily the most diverse high school in Cobb County -- not just black and white. Isn't Dekalb's Cross Keys the most diverse in the metro? Gwinnett's Meadowcreek is impressive too.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:34 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,349,984 times
Quote:
Wheeler is easily the most diverse high school in Cobb County -- not just black and white. Isn't Dekalb's Cross Keys the most diverse in the metro? Gwinnett's Meadowcreek is impressive too.
Based on the link below and a quick look at the numbers, the school is about 65% Hispanic, 14% Asian, 17% black, 4% white.

Not sure what your definition of diverse is, but this does not seem like a very good representative mix of the population as a whole. I think there are more 'diverse' schools in Atlanta.

Find Good School: CROSS KEYS HIGH SCHOOL ATLANTA GA

Old 02-17-2012, 09:58 PM

Some of the most "diverse" (depending on one's definition) high schools in Metro Atlanta are in the Chattahoochee River/Peachtree/I-85 Corridor of Gwinnett County--notably Norcross High, Duluth High, and Peachtree Ridge High. Three outstanding high schools.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:03 AM

Seems like I've read that kids at both Cross Keys and Meadowcreek speak 70 something different languages. I imagine Chamblee is extremely diverse in this regard too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta