Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 07:46 AM

33 posts, read 94,737 times

Advertisements

Lassiter is similar to Walton and Pope. Sprayberry and Kell are not far from Lassiter and have more African American students. Wheeler is the "least white" East Cobb high school and has a math and science magnet school, so that may be a good choice if your children are strong in those subjects (although your children can apply to attend there no matter where you live in Cobb County). The magnet school's high test scores bring up the scores for the entire school, so I think it is harder to compare Wheeler non-magnet student achievement to other high schools.

We live in Walton district. It definitely does not have a large African American population, but I think it is more diverse than some people think it is. According to schooldigger.com Walton is 75% white. The next largest group is Asian at about 15%. There are multiple cultures and religions represented in the Walton district, and people seem very accepting of others of different races and backgrounds. I'm not trying to talk you into looking at Walton, just sharing my thoughts on diversity at Walton.

I am not too familiar with North Fulton schools. We used to live in Alpharetta (the area that is now Johns Creek), but that was before kids and I wasn't paying much attention to the schools. Alpharetta and Johns Creek seem pretty similar to East Cobb-Walton/Pope/Lassiter to me. I think the city of Roswell has a larger Hispanic and African American population than Alpharetta and Johns Creek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 12:43 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah1 View Post

Is there a lot/any racial tension between the students?
Are all the students treated equally and fairly?
Are the minorities made to feel like outsiders?
Do the minorities stick to their own or do all students hang together?

I'm specifically interested in Lassiter, Wheeler, Alpharetta, Centennial or Chattahoochee (these seem to be the most diverse schools in East Cobb and Alpharetta). Thanks in advance for your input.
Answers from my white Lassiter senior daughter:

I don't perceive any. I have a couple of A-A friends and I don't see any tension around them, but then, I'm not them.

Oh yeah! Certainly in advanced classes. I don't have much experience in on-level classes.

No, not really. In fact, if anybody gets grief for their ethnicity, it's the Asian kids, who tend to be teased about being smart.

I have the impression that on-level minorities stick together in groups more, but in the upper level classes, everyone just chills together. Oh and a couple of other A-A students I know from PE class aren't advanced students, but they just seem to chill with everyone too.

A final comment from daughter: "Lassiter is not diverse! It's almost all white."

Last edited by RainyRainyDay; 02-19-2012 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: added final comment

Old 02-23-2012, 03:31 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Answers from my white Lassiter senior daughter:

I don't perceive any. I have a couple of A-A friends and I don't see any tension around them, but then, I'm not them.

Oh yeah! Certainly in advanced classes. I don't have much experience in on-level classes.

No, not really. In fact, if anybody gets grief for their ethnicity, it's the Asian kids, who tend to be teased about being smart.

I have the impression that on-level minorities stick together in groups more, but in the upper level classes, everyone just chills together. Oh and a couple of other A-A students I know from PE class aren't advanced students, but they just seem to chill with everyone too.

A final comment from daughter: "Lassiter is not diverse! It's almost all white."

Great post, Lady Rain.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:38 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Great post, Lady Rain.
Thanks, aries, but I was just the typist. Post was really from Lady Rain's daughter.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:11 PM

538 posts, read 925,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah1 View Post
Can anyone give me any insight on the experience for African Americans in these predominately white school districts?

I'm specifically interested in Lassiter, Wheeler, Alpharetta, Centennial or Chattahoochee (these seem to be the most diverse schools in East Cobb and Alpharetta). Thanks in advance for your input.
Generally, you are only going to see racial tensions when the school is majority black with a minority white student population......the whites are pretty much terrorized. All of those schools you mentioned, with majority white student bodies, would be fine with respect to racial tensions.....the white students and teachers will fawn all over your kids to show how "progressive" they are...no worries.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:52 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Thanks, aries, but I was just the typist. Post was really from Lady Rain's daughter.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta