Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:40 PM

4 posts, read 30,000 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to relocate to Georgia this summer. We are interested in either the East Cobb or Alpharetta area. We have a 10 and 8-year old so a good school district is a must. I am familiar with the test scores of all the schools in the area. I know Pope and Walton have some of the highest scores but, unfortunately, the diversity just isn't there and I really don't want my kids to be too stressed about getting the highest test scores, etc. As we are African American, I would really like my children to be able to bond with other African Americans as well as everyone else. Diversity is very important to my family as we believe it helps to encourage tolerance, understanding and better prepares them for life.

Can anyone give me any insight on the experience for African Americans in these predominately white school districts?

Is there a lot/any racial tension between the students?
Are all the students treated equally and fairly?
Are the minorities made to feel like outsiders?
Do the minorities stick to their own or do all students hang together?

I'm specifically interested in Lassiter, Wheeler, Alpharetta, Centennial or Chattahoochee (these seem to be the most diverse schools in East Cobb and Alpharetta). Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 07:47 PM

207 posts, read 321,981 times
Do you have a job? Atlanta's economy SUCKS. I would not "be looking to relocate" here, for any reason. Please, for the sake of your family, get a job, or check out places more healthy than Atlanta (Houston, Dallas, Charlotte).

Atlanta's global economic standing: #189 *| ajc.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/01/bu...omic-pain.html

Atlanta home prices hit 13-year low *| ajc.com

Atlanta unemployment rate up in December - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 02-16-2012, 08:42 PM

183 posts, read 196,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunwoodyPanhandle View Post
Do you have a job? Atlanta's economy SUCKS. I would not "be looking to relocate" here, for any reason. Please, for the sake of your family, get a job, or check out places more healthy than Atlanta (Houston, Dallas, Charlotte).

Atlanta's global economic standing: #189 *| ajc.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/01/bu...omic-pain.html

Atlanta home prices hit 13-year low *| ajc.com

Atlanta unemployment rate up in December - Atlanta Business Chronicle
cityfilms?

When did Charlotte get a lower unemployment rate then Atlanta.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:51 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,355 times
What is the best school in the area for white kids? I want my kids to grow up with other white kids. (TIC)

Wheeler, borders the Walton school boundary and is much more diverse.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:56 PM

268 posts, read 634,205 times
Wheeler is 40% black, so I wouldn't expect kids to feel out of place there. It's a very diverse student body, also about 10% Asian and 10% Hispanic. Wheeler probably also has a higher percentage of economically disadvantaged kids than the others you listed.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 PM

@gtcorndog, if your children were at a school that was 90% african american (or any other race beside yours) would that be okay with you? Is there really something wrong with wanting your children to interact with people of their same race (in addition to other races)? Did I in any way suggest that I didn't want to be around white people? If I recall, I said the exact opposite--that I wanted diversity...to be around people of ALL races! If I wanted a black school, I know where to find one. A school full of any one race (predominately) is not diverse. If you can't understand that, then maybe you are the one with the problem. IJS

Old 02-16-2012, 09:03 PM

16,686 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah1 View Post
My family is looking to relocate to Georgia this summer. We are interested in either the East Cobb or Alpharetta area. We have a 10 and 8-year old so a good school district is a must. I am familiar with the test scores of all the schools in the area. I know Pope and Walton have some of the highest scores but, unfortunately, the diversity just isn't there and I really don't want my kids to be too stressed about getting the highest test scores, etc. As we are African American, I would really like my children to be able to bond with other African Americans as well as everyone else. Diversity is very important to my family as we believe it helps to encourage tolerance, understanding and better prepares them for life.

Can anyone give me any insight on the experience for African Americans in these predominately white school districts?

Is there a lot/any racial tension between the students?
Are all the students treated equally and fairly?
Are the minorities made to feel like outsiders?
Do the minorities stick to their own or do all students hang together?

I'm specifically interested in Lassiter, Wheeler, Alpharetta, Centennial or Chattahoochee (these seem to be the most diverse schools in East Cobb and Alpharetta). Thanks in advance for your input.
Lassiter is pretty similar to Pope--nearly identical in every way. Lassiter is roughly 10% Black, and Pope is roughly 8% Black.

Your other choices--Centennial, Wheeler, Alpharetta, and Chattahoochee--are all good.

I would just go with the home, neighborhood, and commute that you like best (in any of four aforementioned districts).

Based on the schools you listed, I also recommend looking into Sprayberry and Kell (also in East Cobb), and Roswell High (close to Alpharetta).

Old 02-16-2012, 09:10 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
If your kids have any interest in music whatsoever, East Cobb is definitely where you want to be. Lassiter has probably the best band program in the nation. Though not as diverse as Wheeler, it's notable that the longtime band director at Lassiter -- Alfred Watkins -- is black. The music building at Lassiter is named for him. Nearby Kennesaw Mountain High has an equally impressive band program and is more diverse -- 15 to 20 percent I think. The only North Fulton school that is majority black is North Springs; the others tend to be a healthy mix or trend toward Asian. But I don't think A-A would feel alienated in any of them. This is Metro Atlanta after all ... and the year 2012.

BTW -- if you're not opposed to looking on the opposite side of town, the schools in Fayette County (Peachtree City) are just as good -- and slightly more diverse. Sandy Creek in Tyrone is majority black and one of the top ranked high schools in the state. Ditto Fayette County High in Fayetteviile. Both were just honored for their high minority graduation rates as well as high percentage of minorities taking Advanced Placement courses Like Lassiter, Fayette High has an outstanding music program. Sandy Creek is.a powerhouse in athletics. Both have strong community support and alumni bases that are white AND black. There's just a lot of community pride on those schools that I sometimes think is missing in some areas of Metro Atlanta.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:14 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll have to look into your recommendations.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
If your kids have any interest in music whatsoever, East Cobb is definitely where you want to be. Lassiter has probably the best band program in the nation. Though not as diverse as Wheeler, it's notable that the longtime band director at Lassiter -- Alfred Watkins -- is black. The music building at Lassiter is named for him. Nearby Kennesaw Mountain High has an equally impressive band program and is more diverse -- 15 to 20 percent I think. The only North Fulton school that is majority black is North Springs; the others tend to be a healthy mix or trend toward Asian. But I don't think A-A would feel alienated in any of them. This is Metro Atlanta after all ... and the year 2012.

BTW -- if you're not opposed to looking on the opposite side of town, the schools in Fayette County (Peachtree City) are just as good -- and slightly more diverse. Sandy Creek in Tyrone is majority black and one of the top ranked high schools in the state. Ditto Fayette County High in Fayetteviile. Both were just honored for their high minority graduation rates as well as high percentage of minorities taking Advanced Placement courses Like Lassiter, Fayette High has an outstanding music program. Sandy Creek is.a powerhouse in athletics. Both have strong community support and alumni bases that are white AND black. There's just a lot of community pride on those schools that I sometimes think is missing in some areas of Metro Atlanta.
Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta