Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:54 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Beltline could be paid for in 2 years.
Why are we talking about the BeltLine on here, I thought it was a waste of money?
The MMPT will help change the way people from the exurbs commute to the City of Atlanta. Stations will need to located at other critical junctions, eg: East Point, Lenox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 03:20 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Why are we talking about the BeltLine on here, I thought it was a waste of money?
The MMPT will help change the way people from the exurbs commute to the City of Atlanta. Stations will need to located at other critical junctions, eg: East Point, Lenox.
The Beltline might be a waste of money. But if it is inevitable, might as well pay it off rather than have the debt linger for decades.

But nothing about the MMPT sounds that different from what we have now other than a development in the Gulch. They just want to direct stuff that already connects to MARTA, there. I haven't heard that Union Pacific, CSX, and Norfolk Southern are entering the passenger rail business so it will probably still be Amtrak with its $1.4 billion annual subsidy.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:03 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
The Beltline is definitely not a waste of money.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
The Beltline might be a waste of money.
We shall see in 20-30 years of it is a big waste of money or transforms the urban core and how people move in Atlanta. Please don't dismiss already as a failure when no transit has been built. The parks and paths alone are a huge success.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
We shall see in 20-30 years of it is a big waste of money or transforms the urban core and how people move in Atlanta. Please don't dismiss already as a failure when no transit has been built. The parks and paths alone are a huge success.
My problem is so many people are already declaring it a success when they also admit this hasn't been tried before. A good scientist will wait for the test results. The route wasn't chosen, we're taking it as is and will try and make it work.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:46 AM

175 posts, read 235,399 times
Like Some of you guys here mentioned Already..The success of Megabus shows the Need and intrest in intercity Travel.Period...If people are willing to take a bus to regional destinations Then I Just cant see why Trains wouldnt be justifeid...Atl is in the perfect place for Intercity service...Athens,Augusta,Macon,Chattanooga,
Coulumbus,Birmingham ARE ALL within 2 Hours Drive...This is why it works so well in the Northeast Albeit we have triple the population but never the less ..The Trains and its passengers have Destinations That are Within a reasonable distance...Check how much a flight ffrom ATL to Athens or macon would be..Nuff said...As a lifelong Resident of NYC BUT ASO AN ATLANTA RESIDENT FOR 5 YEARS..I think this "Grand Central" for Atlanta WILL be a Game changer..Imagine being able to board a Train to Any of the above destinations at virtually any hour of the day and getting to where u need to go Without the blessed Automobile..Its called Options folks...Not saying Atlanta should go crazy with the Trains but for the love of god the city was founded at the crossroads of Railroads thus the old name of "Terminus". This shoulda been a No brainer well over 10 years ago and by now we would be LOST without it. Just like the Northeast would be without its Intercity Rail...Build it and They will Ride it...
And who cares if it doesent turn a profit..its like saying you want your kid to pay you back for putting them through college..its the most retarted thing ive ever heard...Does 285/20/75/85 Turn a Profit????...Didnt think so...This plan is about connectivity and overall better quality of life for georgia Residents and the Southeast....Anyone against that Maybe isnt a True Southener!

Old 03-02-2012, 06:55 AM

The name of the terminal can be "Terminus". Honor to the original name of Atlanta.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:02 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
My problem is so many people are already declaring it a success when they also admit this hasn't been tried before. A good scientist will wait for the test results. The route wasn't chosen, we're taking it as is and will try and make it work.
Waiting for proven success would hold back many undertakings. Sometimes the best you can do is make an educated assessment and stick your neck out a bit.

I will give the Beltline people credit for taking things a step at a time and developing the project in sections. At least they haven't bitten off the whole thing at once.

Maybe we should take the same approach to the proposed MMPT. I honestly don't know -- just asking.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2ATL2NY View Post
Like Some of you guys here mentioned Already..The success of Megabus shows the Need and intrest in intercity Travel.Period...If people are willing to take a bus to regional destinations Then I Just cant see why Trains wouldnt be justifeid...Atl is in the perfect place for Intercity service...Athens,Augusta,Macon,Chattanooga,
Coulumbus,Birmingham ARE ALL within 2 Hours Drive...This is why it works so well in the Northeast Albeit we have triple the population but never the less ..The Trains and its passengers have Destinations That are Within a reasonable distance...Check how much a flight ffrom ATL to Athens or macon would be..Nuff said...
Megabus' popularity is because of price. If trains could offer similar prices companies like Norfolk Southern and CSX would offer it. We've been talking about the "Brain Train" from Athens to Atlanta for about 20 years. It doesn't appear to be a viable route.

Quote:
As a lifelong Resident of NYC BUT ASO AN ATLANTA RESIDENT FOR 5 YEARS..I think this "Grand Central" for Atlanta WILL be a Game changer..Imagine being able to board a Train to Any of the above destinations at virtually any hour of the day and getting to where u need to go Without the blessed Automobile..Its called Options folks...Not saying Atlanta should go crazy with the Trains but for the love of god the city was founded at the crossroads of Railroads thus the old name of "Terminus". This shoulda been a No brainer well over 10 years ago and by now we would be LOST without it. Just like the Northeast would be without its Intercity Rail...Build it and They will Ride it...
It's nice to be a dreamer optimist but we have to be realistic. No way can we offer those destinations at any hour of the day. I don't see it as cost effective to have rail routes to Athens, Augusta, Macon, Chattanooga, Coulumbus, Birmingham and even throw in Savannah. Until Amtrak steps in and shows that it is viable, I wouldn't try it.

Quote:
And who cares if it doesent turn a profit..its like saying you want your kid to pay you back for putting them through college..its the most retarted thing ive ever heard...Does 285/20/75/85 Turn a Profit????...Didnt think so...This plan is about connectivity and overall better quality of life for georgia Residents and the Southeast....Anyone against that Maybe isnt a True Southener!
I don't buy the analogy. Having and raising a child, and tending to his education is not the same a having an inter-city rail system.

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 03-02-2012 at 01:06 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Waiting for proven success would hold back many undertakings. Sometimes the best you can do is make an educated assessment and stick your neck out a bit.

I will give the Beltline people credit for taking things a step at a time and developing the project in sections. At least they haven't bitten off the whole thing at once.
They would if they could. They are taking a step at a time based on available funds.

Quote:
Maybe we should take the same approach to the proposed MMPT. I honestly don't know -- just asking.
I'm not against it. But I think people are romancing the idea of a return to train-centric travel and making us more European.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta