Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 12:39 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,759 times

Advertisements

Hundreds force open doors on MARTA during heavy delays

Quote:
Hundreds of people forced open the doors on a MARTA train between Lindbergh and Arts Center stations Wednesday evening after delays left passengers exasperated and angry.

After about an hour stuck on the train, the air-conditioning and lights had cut out. Few people had cell service.

They walked single-file along a concrete ledge that hugged the wall of a tunnel on one side. That ledge was about 2 feet wide and dropped off to the tracks several feet below.
I was stuck on a MARTA train for 30 minutes coming home from a game at the Mercedes-Benz stadium just a few weeks ago. Now it's happened again with a train full of people trying to get to a United game.

I am as big of a MARTA booster as anyone in this city, you can look at my post history if you don't believe me.

But this is bad. Like really, really bad. It's the kind of thing that makes infrequent users stop trusting the system, and it's the kind of thing that frequent users clearly have to deal with more often than they should.

For a transit system, nothing is more important than reliability -- not the number of destinations served, or the frequency of trains, or anything else. If you don't have a reasonable expectation that when you get on a train or bus, that you'll get where you're going in the amount of time you expect, nothing else matters. MARTA could expand to cover every county in the region and it wouldn't make any difference if they can't keep the trains running on time.

I know MARTA is in the process of buying new trains, but that's a years-long process. They've got to find a way to stop these problems from happening so often. But when I emailed them after being stuck on the train two weeks ago, it took them over a week to email me back with a boilerplate apology that gave zero detail about what had happened and why it happened. This is the #1 thing I'm worried about in terms of the system's future. Not whether or not it will expand, or whether Keith Parker's replacement will be good enough... but what are the chances that I'll get stuck on a train in the middle of a tunnel again? Right now those chances are not looking promising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 06:30 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Hundreds force open doors on MARTA during heavy delays

I was stuck on a MARTA train for 30 minutes coming home from a game at the Mercedes-Benz stadium just a few weeks ago. Now it's happened again with a train full of people trying to get to a United game.

I am as big of a MARTA booster as anyone in this city, you can look at my post history if you don't believe me.

But this is bad. Like really, really bad. It's the kind of thing that makes infrequent users stop trusting the system, and it's the kind of thing that frequent users clearly have to deal with more often than they should.

For a transit system, nothing is more important than reliability -- not the number of destinations served, or the frequency of trains, or anything else. If you don't have a reasonable expectation that when you get on a train or bus, that you'll get where you're going in the amount of time you expect, nothing else matters. MARTA could expand to cover every county in the region and it wouldn't make any difference if they can't keep the trains running on time.

I know MARTA is in the process of buying new trains, but that's a years-long process. They've got to find a way to stop these problems from happening so often. But when I emailed them after being stuck on the train two weeks ago, it took them over a week to email me back with a boilerplate apology that gave zero detail about what had happened and why it happened. This is the #1 thing I'm worried about in terms of the system's future. Not whether or not it will expand, or whether Keith Parker's replacement will be good enough... but what are the chances that I'll get stuck on a train in the middle of a tunnel again? Right now those chances are not looking promising.
No excuses for these issues. Communicate to the passengers what the issues are. Nothing worst than being stuck on a train, in a tunnel, with no communication.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:18 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Did they ever even admit what that smoke was, that a lot of people said was more like a vapor mist several months ago?

Old 09-28-2017, 11:02 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Did they ever even admit what that smoke was, that a lot of people said was more like a vapor mist several months ago?
Yes, there was a small electrical fire in the tunnel. It was fixed pretty quick.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:59 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Terrible timing for an incident like this too. Those trains were chock full of choice riders at the time. I think a lot of choices were made last night....and I don't blame them.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:00 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
I didnt go to the match but was watching the #ATLUTD feed on twitter and I noticed the @martaservice tweets as well. This sounds like a total nightmare to be stuck in a train while under a tunnel.

This story sounds scary, maybe more scary than it actually was. This sounds like some end of world type of movie.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/marta-...yuizBBqlYKeXK/

Last edited by 0nyxStation; 09-28-2017 at 12:13 PM..

Old 09-28-2017, 12:20 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Red/Gold Delays on Sept. 27th
Yesterday evening, MARTA experienced a malfunction of our automatic train control system which caused significant delays throughout the system. A bus bridge was established to assist passengers at Arts Center and Lindbergh Stations. However, during the extensive delays, a number of passengers self-evacuated which led to additional delays in our ability to restore power. MARTA Police Department performed the required security sweeps of both Arts Center and Lindbergh tunnels before restoring power to the rail lines. Service was restored at approximately 9 p.m.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this disruption in service caused our patrons last night. We encourage those affected by the delays to call our customer service line at 404-848-5000 so we can hear directly from our patrons and improve our service delivery.
We are actively investigating the initial cause of the incident and performing an extensive internal review. Again, we regret the interruption our service delays may have caused our valued customers
https://www.facebook.com/MARTAtransi...UOapCg&fref=nf

Old 09-28-2017, 01:31 PM

1,054 posts, read 922,191 times
What a nightmare experience for those people.

Another advantage for drivers over MARTA riders: Complete personal control over your situation.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:40 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
What a nightmare experience for those people.

Another advantage for drivers over MARTA riders: Complete personal control over your situation.
Like when you have when stuck in stand-still traffic between exits on the interstate?

Old 09-28-2017, 01:42 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Like when you have when stuck in stand-still traffic between exits on the interstate?
Yeah, it's definitely easy to have control while in this:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta