U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,325 times

Advertisements

So I will be in your city for the first time this Thursday and Friday. I will be staying downtown but will have a vehicle. What should I see. I am from a large city and not scared. Please tell me there's more than the "World o' Coke" and CNN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 01:09 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,749,009 times
Do you have a full day avaiable or just a few hours. Yes there is more to see but in all different directions and depending on how much time you have you can waste some time in a car getting from one area to another.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:11 AM

23,444 posts, read 17,594,316 times
There is a free museum available weekdays 8-4 at the Federal Reserve next to the Midtown Station. Oakland Cemetery and MLK Center are not far from downtown and offer something other than the typical tourist traps. Little 5 Points area has some great food and bars with a mix of people.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:59 AM

1,446 posts, read 2,291,698 times
My short list of top things to do in Atlanta:

1. MLK Historic Site: learn about one of the most important people in US history
2. Georgia Aquarium: Pricey, but very cool if you like aquariums
3. Centennial Olympic Park: good for people watching
4. CNN Center Tour (it really is cool, and don't worry, I won't reccoment World of Coke, which is only okay)
5. High Museum of Art: A high quality art museum in a cool building
6. Piedmont Park: a nice place to jog, walk, etc.
7. Baseball season hasn't started, so you can't go to a Braves game, but if you are a baseball fan you should see if the tours of Turner Field are offered. Very interesting (if you like baseball).
8. Get a drink at the Sundial (the bar at the top of the Westin Peachtree Plaza) for a nice view of the city.
9. Stone Mountain
10. See a show at the fabulous Fox Theatre.
11. Atlanta History Center: learn about the city
12. Botanical Garden: A very nice botanical garden, but this may not be the best time of year to see it
13. Walk around the alternative "Little Five Points" neighborhood (not to be confused with Five Points near downtown.
14. Jimmy Carter Library and Museum: Atlanta's "other" Nobel Peace Prize winner

Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,078,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
8. Get a drink at the Sundial (the bar at the top of the Westin Peachtree Plaza) for a nice view of the city.
I like doing this from time to time. 360 degree view of the entire metro area.

If you decide to do this, tell the elevator attendant that you're going to the bar at the Sundial. If you're just going up there for the view, there's a fee to ride the elevator, but they waive the fee if you're going up there for dinner or drinks.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:36 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,534,683 times
Whatever it is it'll probably need to be inside as the weather folks seem to think there may be a possible tornado outbreak over the region on Friday/Saturday. Gotta love the spring.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:19 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,078,516 times
Trader Vics is always a fun place to visit, and it's right in downtown.

Trader Vic's is The Ultimate Polynesian Experience, Home of the Original Mai Tai. Downtown Atlanta, Hilton Atlanta, Tongo Hiti, Chinese Oven, Atlanta's best restaurants, Atlanta private dining, Hilton Atlanta, Atlanta Events

Old 02-29-2012, 11:57 AM

159 posts, read 218,882 times
One of my favorite things to do whenever I am traveling (providing I have time, a car and GPS) is to find some of the unique neighborhoods in the area and really get lost and just drive around. I personally love the different architechture and styles each part of the country offers, so for me this is a fun activity. Plus, you're not dealing with too many touristy areas. If you're into that, I would recommend driving around the Inman Park neighboorhood, Ansley Park, Virginia Highlands, Grant Park, and even the Buckhead area if you want to see some huge mansions. Most of these areas offer nice restaurants and even some shops too. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:43 PM

927 posts, read 1,913,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiime View Post
One of my favorite things to do whenever I am traveling (providing I have time, a car and GPS) is to find some of the unique neighborhoods in the area and really get lost and just drive around. I personally love the different architechture and styles each part of the country offers, so for me this is a fun activity. Plus, you're not dealing with too many touristy areas. If you're into that, I would recommend driving around the Inman Park neighboorhood, Ansley Park, Virginia Highlands, Grant Park, and even the Buckhead area if you want to see some huge mansions. Most of these areas offer nice restaurants and even some shops too. Just my 2 cents.
THIS. All of it.

You'll have a car too so definitely take advantage of this!! One of the underrated things about Atlanta having the layout it has is that you don't know what to expect from corner to corner. Unlike a lot of the traditional urban northeastern cities, where the city is on a grid and you know pretty much where you are and what to expect, Atlanta can surprise you with the things hidden in neighborhood corners.

Simply giving myself a driving tour was a past time for me even though I was a native. It never got old.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:14 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,623,725 times
1. Hike up Stone Mountain
2. Atlantic Station
3. Ga Aquarium
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or