U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 02:55 PM

45 posts, read 80,954 times

Advertisements

My son is considering attending SAE Institute. We are planning to tour the school in a few months. In the meantime, I'd like to know your thoughts on the school. I'm concerned that my son will be getting a niche education and may have to start over from scratch if this doesn't work out (he chose this over a traditional 4 yr college). I want to support his dreams but it's really scary.

Also, what about the neighborhood? I don't believe the school has dorms so he'd have to live somewhere nearby. He does have a car.

Any information/advice/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 03:05 PM

185 posts, read 267,214 times
I don't really know much about SAE but I just wanted to say that your son wouldn't really have to live nearby. SAE is right next to the Peachtree Center Marta station. So as long as he lived near a Marta train station he could take the train to Peachtree Center to avoid having to drive to downtown.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:14 PM

195 posts, read 266,411 times
I graduated back in December 2008, and overall really enjoyed the experience. It's an intensive program; he'll be spending several hours after class most days on studio projects. It's like a full time job, in that sense, but the education is first-rate, and everyone teaching there has been in the recording industry for several years. My own recording teacher, Scott (a terrific guy, btw), spent a while working at the Hit Factory in Miami before it closed, recorded plenty of big names, and is a mic'ing wizard.

However...the recording industry is no reliable source of personal income for those just starting. In a traditional recording studio, your son should expect to work for several months to two years or so as an unpaid intern, with no guarantee of advancement. There are way worse jobs than recording studio intern (when I worked at one behind Atlantic Station, food was gratis and we were basically like family), but he'll be financially dependent on you for a while. If he's interested in post-production work, like tweaking sound for television ads or various other things, that sub-industry is more forgiving; unfortunately, that wasn't really my thing as much.

The school is on the top floor of the Hard Rock building at Peachtree and Andrew Young, so just about everyone commutes. This area of downtown is relatively safe and well-lit, and police sometimes patrol on foot. If you can find something decent within about five miles, your son should have it made.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:24 PM

1,366 posts, read 1,410,111 times
^^^ Exactally.

I was considering going to the SAE in Atlanta shortly after it opened. However, I discovered that I liked the composing process much more than the recording/engineering/mastering process so I went down that path instead.

I did tour the facilities here and they are top notch. They use industry standard gear and everything looked to be well maintained. For the nich industry they cater to, they're supposed to have top notch education.

I also toured the Nashville campus and it was equally nice. They're good schools but Brillemeister is correct in that he will have to pay his dues for a while after. The hours might be crazy but it's an incredibly rewarding career to go into though and everyone is indeed like family in most studios.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:42 PM

Thanks so much for your insight.

We are still trying to decide between the Atlanta or NY location. Apparently, NY has financial aid and Atlanta doesn't. NY is closer to us but the cost of living is much higher than Atlanta. My son wants to go to Atlanta but I'm concerned about having him so far away and not in a dorm of some sort.

Does the school offer assistance with finding lodging, are there student organizations that help or will we be on our own? I'm not at all familiar with Atlanta so I'm thinking he will be in an apt by himself because we don't know anybody there. This concerns me... not to mention the cost in addition to tuition.

Can u recommend some areas nearby that are safe and relatively cost effective. He does have a car. Or can u recommend some avenues to finding a potential roommate.

Thank you

Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 PM

Brillemeister - how difficult is it to get accepted into the school. The guys at the NY location made it seem like very few people get in. Also, do they offer internships or job placement assistance once u graduate?

Old 02-29-2012, 09:54 PM

8,710 posts, read 12,315,679 times
I just quickly read up on the SAE Institute--it is totally awesome that we have a campus in Atlanta.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:43 PM

1,366 posts, read 1,410,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdtransplant View Post
Thanks so much for your insight.

We are still trying to decide between the Atlanta or NY location. Apparently, NY has financial aid and Atlanta doesn't. NY is closer to us but the cost of living is much higher than Atlanta. My son wants to go to Atlanta but I'm concerned about having him so far away and not in a dorm of some sort.

Does the school offer assistance with finding lodging, are there student organizations that help or will we be on our own? I'm not at all familiar with Atlanta so I'm thinking he will be in an apt by himself because we don't know anybody there. This concerns me... not to mention the cost in addition to tuition.

Can u recommend some areas nearby that are safe and relatively cost effective. He does have a car. Or can u recommend some avenues to finding a potential roommate.

Thank you

If I remember correctly, they offer a service to find roommates and living accommodations but they do not offer dorms that are included with tuition. Might have to talk with the school directly on that one.

Most of the areas immediately surrounding the school are either expensive or an area that you would not want your child living in. However, if they find a roommate situation, rent would become more affordable.

Also try roommates.com.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:26 AM

4,381 posts, read 3,947,375 times
I would highly, Highly, HIGHLY advise you to do extremely thorough research before spending money on a place like this.

I am very skeptical of for profit schools, especially ones that do not grant actual accredited degrees. SAE offers generic "diplomas" that are worth nothing more than the name SAE printed on them.

I don't know anything about SAE, but it's generally better to either go out and get experience right away as an intern or some other way, or go get a degree from a proper college or university in a related field.

Anyway, I can't comment on this school specifically. I would urge you to do very extensive research beyond reading what the school has to say. They want your money.

I think this thread is probably a good place to start: is SAE worth it? better schools in ATL? - Gearslutz.com

And here: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-h...od-school.html

And here: http://www.dancemusicproduction.com/...showtopic=1728

And so on.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:41 AM

8,710 posts, read 12,315,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I would highly, Highly, HIGHLY advise you to do extremely thorough research before spending money on a place like this.

I am very skeptical of for profit schools, especially ones that do not grant actual accredited degrees. SAE offers generic "diplomas" that are worth nothing more than the name SAE printed on them.

I don't know anything about SAE, but it's generally better to either go out and get experience right away as an intern or some other way, or go get a degree from a proper college or university in a related field.

Anyway, I can't comment on this school specifically. I would urge you to do very extensive research beyond reading what the school has to say. They want your money.

I think this thread is probably a good place to start: is SAE worth it? better schools in ATL? - Gearslutz.com

And here: SAE ATL- Is This A Good School? - Gearslutz.com

And here: Schools That Offer Production Course's (dubspot, Sae, Etc.) - Dance Music Production

And so on.
True that about for-profit schools.

Good advice.

Adric and/or Brillemeister--what is your opinion on ATLTJL's post and "for-profit" (as it relates to SAE)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta