U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Unread 03-05-2012, 07:16 PM
 
727 posts, read 469,244 times
Reputation: 335
To be honest, making national list is not important. What is important is having a city that the residents enjoy living in and the employers enjoy doing business in. Not what other people think.

However you do have to have some ammunition when trying to reel in big companies. But I doubt major companies care about these list.
Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 03-05-2012, 07:20 PM
 
152 posts, read 84,055 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No. Atlanta is #5.
Your argument (and use of "no" instead of "I disagree") is comical.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-05-2012, 07:30 PM
 
8,388 posts, read 10,512,698 times
Reputation: 1811
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunwoodyPanhandle View Post
Your argument (and use of "no" instead of "I disagree") is comical.
I'm glad that you are amused.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-05-2012, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
620 posts, read 321,097 times
Reputation: 532
One thing Atlanta definitely has a surplus of is residents who are obsessed with what strangers think of them.

Just relax and enjoy your city, folks
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:03 PM
 
5,695 posts, read 3,120,118 times
Reputation: 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
One thing Atlanta definitely has a surplus of is residents who are obsessed with what strangers think of them.

Just relax and enjoy your city, folks
Inevitably, someone will ask "How we doin'?"
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:12 PM
 
8,388 posts, read 10,512,698 times
Reputation: 1811
Oh, and welcome back BringBackCobain, I mean, DunwoodyPanhandle.

Missed you, Co-baby.

XOXO
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Status: "Nairobi is always right" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,636 posts, read 4,686,226 times
Reputation: 4695
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
One thing Atlanta definitely has a surplus of is residents who are obsessed with what strangers think of them.
Your gold medal is on its way, sir.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-05-2012, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Four Cornered Room
610 posts, read 335,988 times
Reputation: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Nobody calls Detroit "D Town". Detroit is known by Detroiters as "The D". Dallas calls it'self the "Big D".

The commuting area of Atlanta is larger. People do not commute to Detroit because the vast majority of jobs moved to the suburbs long ago which means that there is no need to commute to Detroit....but the people are still there just like they are there 40 and 50 miles outside of Atlanta....and MORE of them.

All that having been said, we live in an era of an artificial economy. We have a phony economy in America, one built upon debt, ponzi schemes and printing money. America was at its appex when Detroit was at its appex. The cities that boomed during the phony economy years are just "fluff" cities. They are areas that boomed from ponzi schemes, massive debt and growth. I do not consider modern boom towns to be "great cities" because they were built off a foundation of sand. The truly GREAT American cities are the cities that built this nation from REAL economics and created the worlds largest net exporter economy and largest net creditor...... and not the worlds largest debtor nation running the largest net trade deficit in the word....type economy, which exists today under the rise of these new boom towns. This is why the Detroit area forshadows Americas future.....because when the truly great areas decline.....America will decline in turn.....regardless of the "fluff" cities. It has never been said that when Atlanta sneezes.....America catches a cold.....and it never will be said about the area.
As inhabitants of America, we may dislike or disagree this sentiment. However, this is truth. America's glory days are over. History, being the best teacher, does not bear out that the economy MUST rebound. Yet, we will continue to cling to our hopes, dreams, vices, etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-06-2012, 02:24 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
7,361 posts, read 6,074,391 times
Reputation: 2079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I have to disagree with that. People move to Atlanta because of the area and not the Atlanta brand. People like the weather, the rolling hills, the big lots and yards, the job base or the demographic (many blacks like Atlanta because there are a lot of blacks in the area). Its not the city of Atlanta, proper, that is attracting people. Its the whole area. If it was the city that was so attractive, like SF, then people would be moving there and the density would be over 10,000 people per sqare mile by now.
Um excuse me but how is that any different as to why people move to S.F. for the beaches,wharf,architecture,etc...?What you mentioned ,IS the Atlanta brand.SPACE,AFFORDABILITY,TREES,and its the AMERICAN DREAM of Opportunity!That is the American "Brand" available in a major city.

No one can afford SanFrancisco.Regardless of the reason people move to Atlanta those same reasons are why many people are leaving S.F.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-06-2012, 02:38 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
7,361 posts, read 6,074,391 times
Reputation: 2079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Let me put it this way. If Russia only had 10 nuclear missles to fire at US population centers.....which cities or areas would they aim them at? Atlanta would likely be spared. Detroit would definately get taken out because of not only a larger population, but its industrial infrastructure also.
So you are saying that the CDC,Hartsfield-Jackson and its own industrial base would not matter?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top