Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 08:07 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You said density but you didn't mention that all your "methodology " is and nothing more. Density isn't total matter. Not under any context besides city proper you can say Detroit is bigger than Atlanta.
Population Density cannot be calculated without using a FIXED land area in which the people are counted. You first find out how many square miles the an area is then you divide the population by the number of square miles to determine the density per square mile....Right?

I am NOT talking about density because I am NOT using a FIXED land area to make my point!!!! I am arguing POPULATION COUNT! I am arguing that at any arbitrary radius one chooses, there are more people living in the same sized radius around Detroit than exist in that size radius around Atlanta, which would not be true if THERE WERE NOT MORE PEOPLE AROUND DETROIT THAN ATLANTA. You keep saying that I am talking about DENSITY but density is a function of POPULATION.

What you are arguing is, and I am not arguing against it, is that the MSA methodology defines a larger square mile area for Atlanta than it does for Detroit. I know that and I am not trying to refute that whether its because of commuting patterns or sprawl. All I am saying is that if you take that same square miles and superimpose it over the Detroit area that you would have about a half million or more people living in the same land area than what lives in that same land area in the official "Atlanta MSA" population count.

Quote:
Again that's call density, let me add to your metaphor lets say endanger fishes.

Just cause more Detroit fishes was caught doesn't mean it's more fishes than Atlanta. It just means more Detroit fishes were caught because they swim denser, the Atlanta school still will be lager. The Detroit fishes would be closer to extinction because their were less of them number of them before even the catch. Let it go the Atlanta region is bigger
That does not make any sense....at least not to me. Sorry.

Quote:
No. your still not getting it every time you say commuting is the results of business instead of a city sprawling. Your misrepresenting the city growth and size. People commute because of sprawl. Again Mass density and total matter.
There are people who live 50 miles outside of Detroit and there are people that live 50 miles outside of Atlanta. Why and how they got there is splitting hairs. Fine, call it the Detroit-Ann Arbor-Flint-Windsor area....since you seem obsessed with associating the people who live in suburbs and exurbs with some principle city. Hence, the Detroit-Ann Arbor-Flint-Windsor area has more people than the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta area.

Quote:
You basically saying even though Atlanta is bigger lets say it not. And Also... Again that's call density it been establish Detroit is denser no one is even arguing against that, but denser doesn't make it bigger. I been said Detroit is denser, but that's not a good enough answer, you want it be bigger which why this debating is carrying on. Detroit is not bigger, then it's generally behind Atlanta is most ranking in addition to populations also. You want Detroit to be called bigger or on Atlanta's level in population or importance and it's simply not. Again it's not top but it's ahead of Detroit.
No I am not. What I am basically saying is that methodology used to count people for government reporting purposes, such as MSA population, are meaningless to the average person who simply seeks access. I mean, tell me.... how are you impacted in what you do on a daily basis, by the boundaries created by the government that serves to define where a metropolitan area stops and starts? How does a person living 50 miles outside of Detroit not have access to all the things that a person has living 50 miles outsidee of Atlanta does? You mean a person cannot drive into Detroit for work, entertainment, culture and play because they don't officially live in the "Detroit MSA", but the person 50 miles outside of Atlanta can because they are "officially" part of the "Atlanta MSA"? I mean, the OPTIONS of someone living 50 miles outside of Detroit are not different than the option of people living 50 miles outsidee of Atlanta. There is nothing that a cities offer that someone living 50 miles outside of Atlanta is granted "Special priveledges" for because they are part of what the goverment calls "The Atlanta MSA". So my point is that there is NO FUNCTIONAL USE, for the average person, for the borders determined by the Office of Management and Budget that determine metropolitan boundaries. Hence, I simply presented an alternate index or metric that simply looked at how many people exist in various radius around a city because driving distance is the number one criteria for the average person in terms of there daily options of places to go to work, places to eat, place to be entertained, places for culture etc....People don't even think about invisible MSA borders. They are meaningless to the average person.

Quote:
Density is not a purely population metric because it doesn't count the total of something. The Atlanta school of fishes out grew the Detroit school of dishes. The Detroit fishes might have caught more in one net, but in total there is more Atlanta fishes be caught and sold.
LOL....go back and revisit my first two paragraphs of this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 08:18 AM

8 posts, read 10,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Man.....you cats down there are S-E-N-S-I-T-I-V-E. I think you guys have an inferiority complex that leads to overcompensation by overhyping the area. You are always trying to hype the area because of this insecurity about your stature relative to other areas. Its like the "small man complex" or something.

Yet, you continue to post in this forum trying to teach us a lesson. You haven't lived here in over a decade so why are you in this forum?

Old 03-08-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Umm NO. Geography 101 is lost here. Atlanta has a small city limit compare to other sunbelt cities. Atlanta MSA ranks 9th in population. The map above was a group of metros not Atlanta by it self. Atlanta on the same level as Omaha, Nebraska or Colorado Springs. Now that's wish thinking.

5 states?

Atlanta metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the guy that believes Detroit is on Atlanta's level, is bigger and more important than Atlanta. When all stats and rankings are contracting that... Umm Sure. Everything from the US to the UN says Atlanta is bigger then Detroit. Then you cry over people not commuting back to your city that's because they are not your region. You say people commute to Atlanta because of the better economy "which is not the reason" then you turn around and say Atlanta economy is a fluff, delta and coke. So I guess Atlanta's bad model economy "in your words" attracts more people to commute as a better economy. Your theory is disproving and contradiction itself. Well which one is it? Does Detroit have a better or worse economy than Atlanta?
Well.....the city of Detroit does have more people than the city of Atlanta.....regardless of what the UN says. There are also more people living in a 25, 50, 75 100..... miles radius around Detroit than around the same sized area around Atlanta. Thats born from looking at raw numbers.....not numbers that are filtered based upon some criteria that serves no useful function for the typical inhabitant of an area. Again, tell me when and how MSA borders impacts your daily life and decisions about where you can go and what you have reasonable access to? When was the last time you heard ANYONE make a decision about where to go based on whether it was within or outside MSA borders? The only thing the average person cares about is HOW FAR IS IT. Distance is the number one factor that people consider when it comes to access and hence counting people based upon a radius count is more inline with what and how the average person would count the population of an area.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAsmith12 View Post
Yet, you continue to post in this forum trying to teach us a lesson. You haven't lived here in over a decade so why are you in this forum?
I did not get the memo saying that one has to be a current resident to post in a forum. I can only gather from your comment that you don't like lessons. I can guarentee you that if I was on here as a cheerleader for how Great Atlanta was and how it it a TOP 5 city in not only the US, but the world, that no one would be asking me why I am posting on this forusm when I have not lived there for years.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:32 AM

8 posts, read 10,987 times
Quote:
I did not get the memo saying that one has to be a current resident to post in a forum. I can only gather from your comment that you don't like lessons. I can guarentee you that if I was on here as a cheerleader for how Great Atlanta was and how it it a TOP 5 city in not only the US, but the world, that no one would be asking me why I am posting on this forusm when I have not lived there for years.

If that was all you said and then left, sure. You keep coming back though for no reason other then to either berate Atlanta or put the posters "it their place". Does it make you feel good? What do you want?

Old 03-08-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAsmith12 View Post
If that was all you said and then left, sure. You keep coming back though for no reason other then to either berate Atlanta or put the posters "it their place". Does it make you feel good? What do you want?
Obviously I have "burst some bubbles" or told someone that "they look fat in those jeans"......and now people are upset with me. Sorry.....some people cannot handle other peoples honest opinions.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:54 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,554 times
Quote:
Obviously I have "burst some bubbles" or told someone that "they look fat in those jeans"......and now people are upset with me. Sorry.....some people cannot handle other peoples honest opinions.
Why don't you take your opinions up with those who it matters the most Haven't u realized Your opinion isn't going to Change How the cities are ranked. This is really becoming ridiculous.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:06 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Of Deen View Post
Sorry, mate you're wrong. As a seasoned traveller I know there is about a 4 hour distance by car between Atlanta and Charlotte. The same 4 hour distance by car exists between New York and Washington. I have a hunch that Washington and New York are even closer as the crow flies, it's all the congestion and traffic between DC and New York that slow the trip down.

DC to Philly is about 2 hours by car, fwiw.
Ive gotten to Charlotte in 3hrs and 30 mins..

Old 03-08-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Why don't you take your opinions up with those who it matters the most Haven't u realized Your opinion isn't going to Change How the cities are ranked. This is really becoming ridiculous.
Its not my goal to change how the cities are ranked....but rather to point out how they are ranked and how they do not represent a pure population count. The methods serve no functional value to the average person living in a particular area. They are for the consumption of business and politics. There is no sign that reads....."You are entering the Atlanta MSA" or no toll that has to be paid to enter for those who do not fall in its borders.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:24 AM

When people say how long it has taken them to get from one place to the next, it can very greatly depending on what part of the Metro you are leaving from and what part of the other metro you are going to. Given that metro Altant is like a 60 mile radius and metro Charlotte is like a 50 mile radius....if one leaves from the extreme NE Atlanta suburbs they can arrive at the exteme SW charlotte suburbs in probably 2 1/2 hours driving 80 miles an hour (which is usually how fast I drive). It all depends on where you are leaving from, in the Atlanta area, and where you are going to in the Charlotte area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta