Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 08:03 AM

15 posts, read 48,730 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Prince Georges county,MD and I love it here but I have visited Bridgemill and other parts of Atlanta and I love it also.
I am a little torn both places have thier pros and cons, but the biggest con of moving to Bridgemill is I would be leaving my close friends that I have grown up with behind, I have a couple family members in Atlanta. Also I have a horse and the boarding facilities here in MD have more acreage to ride on, but the facilities down here have more to do. I woudl be leaving behind allot but sometimes you need a complete change and start somewhere new.
If you were in my position woudl you stay in MD or give Birdgemill a try?
Which would be a smarter choice economically?
Bridgemill residents or people who have lived there would be a big help, Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 08:11 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
Where will your work be here?

Old 03-03-2012, 08:29 AM

74 posts, read 189,387 times
honey you need to take your horse and move to Conyers in Rockdale County. It's on I-20 east of Atlanta. A very friendly horse town and a great community. I live in Marietta but my wife abd daughters live there. Both of the girls ride. Google about the Conyers horse park. It was an Olympic venue.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 AM

15 posts, read 48,730 times
I work as Veterinarian.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:52 PM

207 posts, read 322,031 times
Atlanta's economy is one of the weakest in the country, while DC's is one of the healthiest. Please do your due diligence before you move to one of the most economically-anemic cities in the U.S.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:27 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipmaloney View Post
honey you need to take your horse and move to Conyers in Rockdale County. It's on I-20 east of Atlanta. A very friendly horse town and a great community. I live in Marietta but my wife abd daughters live there. Both of the girls ride. Google about the Conyers horse park. It was an Olympic venue.
Or, go just a bit further north - lots of horse farms and land is super reasonable right now. Look over in northeast Canton, or Ball Ground in Cherokee County, or Jasper, or Forsyth county. You can find a house + barn on a few acres for around $200k.

If you are looking for a rural area, BridgeMill is not going to cut it. It's a giant subdivision - the size of a small city - with >3,000 McMansions in various sizes. I have a friend who lives there, who calls it "Pretentious Acres" and makes a game out of counting the fake boobs at the community pool. A County Commissioner was involved in a drug bust there in 2004. At one time it had a pretty active swinger's club, which may or may not interest you. I don't judge, and I'm sure there are people who live there and love it, but it wouldn't work for me.

As for your question about moving away from friends and family -- nobody can answer this for you. It's a tough call. I moved here myself from New England in 1994, and all of my family is still there, and I really miss them sometimes...but I haven't moved back yet. If you do decide to move here, please do have a job lined up before you come, or substantial savings to live on while you look. The job market here is in the process of rebounding but it is verrrry slow.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:01 PM

9 posts, read 22,150 times
Echo above poster: BridgeMill isn't a part of Atlanta per se, it is just one (densely packed) mega-subdivision. People complain about getting in and out in mornings. The area just north and south of State Highway 20 and east of 575, from Canton all the way to Cumming, has a lot of acreage subdivisions well priced, even in the mid 200's. you can have an acre or more, be near or on horse property, and still within 10-15 min of either Canton or Cumming, 20 min to Milton or Roswell. Same goes for Holly Springs or Woodstock: more space and privacy yet still very community oriented, lots to do. There are so many stables in the Canton and Milton areas. There are smaller subdivisions with pools and tennis if that's the draw or you can join the excellent YMCA facilities nearby for a terrific health/fitness club. Canton YMCA has a great outdoor pool for kids. I grew up in Northern Virginia; congestion here (outside metro ATL) is far less I would think than PG Co; taxes are lower; so are services - fewer parks, schools are good in some areas (e.g. Cherokee County, Forsyth County) and not others. Utilities probably cheaper here too. There are a LOT of veterinarians in the suburban areas, even a number of equine speciaists in the horse areas I mentioned. Would you be opening a new office or trying to get a job at an existing one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta