U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-04-2012, 11:00 AM

18 posts, read 18,168 times

Advertisements

My wife and I moved from The Netherlands to Johns Creek 6 months ago. We love it here, and live is good.

The Netherlands is considered a fairly progressive country, and that's how I'm raised too. I'm at the very beginning of my religious journey and I consider myself a fairly progressive person, especially on social issues.

I understand Johns Creek is a conservative area with mostly Southern Baptist churches. I have visited a few, and although everyone is VERY nice, welcoming and understanding (even with my liberal thoughts), I feel strongly opposed to the message they preach.

Doe anyone know of any liberal churches in the Johns Creek / Alpharetta area? I don't need the most liberal church around, something moderately liberal/conservative might work for me. I have a much stronger connection to protestantism than catholicism.

If anyone has any recommendations outside the Johns Creek / Alpharetta area I would love to hear them too!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 12:35 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,367,081 times
If you are beginning your faith journey, you might want to check out North Point church in Alpharetta and it is easy to do by going to their website and watching a service online.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:14 PM

1,148 posts, read 681,152 times
I haven't been there personally but I know the united methodist churches are one of the more liberal protestant denominations in the area.

There is one in John's creek: Johns Creek United Methodist Church. Atlanta, Georgia (GA)

There are around 10 others around the metro area as well.

There are also some good non-denominational churches.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:23 PM

6,764 posts, read 5,188,385 times
I would abstain from religion altogether. All religion is manmade and the truth is that nobody knows why the universe exists. If there was a true religion, it would be undeniable to mankind. But instead, we have endless debates about which religion is right. Religion has been a major burden and source of tragedy on mankind. Terrorrism, denying gay rights, denying a woman's right to choose, and a host of other issues. So, if you truly say you are a progressive, I would recommend being a free thinker or atheist like me

Old 03-04-2012, 06:19 PM

2,609 posts, read 1,839,764 times
look for episcopal churches— they're probably more what you're looking for. lutheran churches are another option.

i know you say you feel closer to protestantism, but over here in the us some protestantism is totally different, almost like a different religion. lutheran and episcopal churches are more like what protestantism is like over in europe.

as for specific churches, my father goes to st aidan's in alpharetta which is episcopal. the church of the holy spirit in cumming is also episcopal. i'm not familiar with any lutheran churches.

@nep321, i myself am jewish, i don't agree with the christian faith, but i'm open to the possibility of different interpretations of G-d and don't judge anyone in a different faith. but i believe strongly in G-d, and don't recruit anyone to my belief system. which one of us is more progressive?

Old 03-04-2012, 07:54 PM

6,764 posts, read 5,188,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
look for episcopal churches— they're probably more what you're looking for. lutheran churches are another option.

i know you say you feel closer to protestantism, but over here in the us some protestantism is totally different, almost like a different religion. lutheran and episcopal churches are more like what protestantism is like over in europe.

as for specific churches, my father goes to st aidan's in alpharetta which is episcopal. the church of the holy spirit in cumming is also episcopal. i'm not familiar with any lutheran churches.

@nep321, i myself am jewish, i don't agree with the christian faith, but i'm open to the possibility of different interpretations of G-d and don't judge anyone in a different faith. but i believe strongly in G-d, and don't recruit anyone to my belief system. which one of us is more progressive?
I am not suggesting that the OP must have the same belief system as I do. The progressive mentality is to allow anyone to practice their own faith or lack of faith. That is the beauty of the U.S. Constitution. Unfortunately, there are certain politicians (such as Rick Santorum) who don't believe in absolute separation of church and state. Thankfully, he won't win the Georgia primary. Newt Gingrich will.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:17 PM

876 posts, read 1,174,663 times
I think nondenominational churches in the area are probably more to your likening. Do you like very large churches, so called mega-churches? or smaller ones? There are some well-known bigger ones in Alpharetta that have over a few thousand members, not sure if you have a preference or not. Is that considered too large for you? There are churches of all sizes up in North Fulton. Good luck in your visits.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:16 PM

4,902 posts, read 5,374,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I would abstain from religion altogether. All religion is manmade and the truth is that nobody knows why the universe exists. If there was a true religion, it would be undeniable to mankind. But instead, we have endless debates about which religion is right. Religion has been a major burden and source of tragedy on mankind. Terrorrism, denying gay rights, denying a woman's right to choose, and a host of other issues. So, if you truly say you are a progressive, I would recommend being a free thinker or atheist like me
There is a thread devoted to religious debate on this site. Your comments belong there. If you aren't helping the OP with their particular question, refrain from posting.

Back to the OP: I would suggest North Pointe Church in Alpharetta. Might be too large for you. You might want to try Perimeter Church in Johns Creek as well. Both of these are pretty straightforward bible believing churches, so still might be too conservative, but in their approach to church life, would be more "liberal" than Southern Baptist Churches.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:03 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,367,081 times
Next Sunday (9:00, 11:00, 12:45 and 6:00) Andy Stanley starts a new sermon series on Christianity- it would be a great time to see what North Point is all about. Everyone is welcome!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:26 AM

79 posts, read 98,317 times
Roswell:
Church of the Savior (Congregational) Similar Calvinist theology to the Reformed Church of NL.
The website: Welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta